Solved

Will an EVGA 650 Watt Power Supply Run my New Computer?

I recently got all the parts to assemble my PC but I believe I skimped out on my PSU. I've got a 650W 80+ gold power supply and was wondering if it would be sufficient enough to power these specs:

Standard ATX desktop motherboard.

CPU: Intel 5 7600k

GPU: GTX 980 TI

RAM: 2 x 8GB DDR4

Storage1: SATA 7200 rpm

Storage 2: 500 GB SSD

Cooling:
2 x 120mm Fan
1 x CPU fan (cooler master 212x)

SIDENOTE: I did run the numbers on neweggs calculator and it came out to be roughly 660W of power needed. Thus, should I get a 750W PSU to give myself a bit of headroom?
Reply to Amanuel_20
4 answers Last reply Best Answer
More about 650 watt power supply run computer
  1. Best answer
    Amanuel_20 said:
    I recently got all the parts to assemble my PC but I believe I skimped out on my PSU. I've got a 650W 80+ gold power supply and was wondering if it would be sufficient enough to power these specs:

Cooling:
    2 x 120mm Fan

SIDENOTE: I did run the numbers on neweggs calculator and it came out to be roughly 660W of power needed. Thus, should I get a 750W PSU to give myself a bit of headroom?

Hi - Yes, a good quality (emphasis on good) will run that system. Calc is in error (way overestimating) as
    your CPU & GPU account for most of the power & they consume ~400w.

However, not all 650w PSU's are created equal and you should post the model you have, or
    post your budget here if you want to upgrade. A 750w isn't necessary, but also wouldn't do any
    harm as the components pull only what's needed. The 980ti is a power hungry card.
    Reply to toyftw
  2. Maker and model of the psu?
    Reply to Vic 40
  3. Vic 40 said:
    Maker and model of the psu?
    Reply to Amanuel_20
  4. MERGED QUESTION
    Question from Amanuel_20 : "Will an EVGA 650 Watt Power Supply Run my New Computer?"

Amanuel_20 said:
    I recently got all the parts to assemble my PC but I believe I skimped out on my PSU. I've got an EVGA 650W GQ 80+ gold power supply and was wondering if it would be sufficient enough to power these specs:

Cooling:
    2 x 120mm Fan

superninja12 said:
    easily, its a decent psu.

raisonjohn said:
    The EVGA 650W GQ is more than enough for your rig.

i5-7600K won't go past 150W in OC. GTX 980 Ti won't go past 300W. Rest of your system won't go past 100W.

toyftw said:
    Amanuel_20 said:
    I recently got all the parts to assemble my PC but I believe I skimped out on my PSU. I've got an EVGA 650W GQ 80+ gold power supply and was wondering if it would be sufficient enough to power these specs:

Cooling:
    2 x 120mm Fan

Hi - The CPU & GPU use most of the power the whole system uses, and they acct for ~400w (91w CPU,302wGPU),
    so the 660w from the calc is serious overstatement. So, a good quality 650w unit is a good choice for that rig. That EVGA is a good quality unit. Realhardtech recommends 600w for that system, as does the MSI Power requirements for
    graphics cards site.

Anonymous said:
    Amanuel_20 said:

Cooling:
    2 x 120mm Fan

According to This calculator, you'd be only need about 500 Watts. If your power supply were poor quality then it wouldn't be a good situation, but your's is a good quality unit, so it shouldn't be a problem at all.

I wouldn't buy the GQ , stick to a series that has a better OEM , get a G2 . G3.

GQ is ok , but not great.
    Reply to SR-71 Blackbird
Ask a new question Answer

Read More

Power Supplies Power Consumption