Solved

960 evo m.2 as primary boot drive on the ASUS ROG MAXIMUS IX FORMULA

Hello everyone,

is it possible to have the Samsung 960 EVO, 250 GB SSD
(M.2 2280, PCIe, Samsung V-NAND, Trim) as primary boot drive (for my os) on my ASUS ROG MAXIMUS IX FORMULA? without too much tweaking in the bios or software? i read mixed stories about this subject on different forums.

Other question; is an rm650i enough power for the following build?
i7-7700K + 212x air cooler
Samsung 960 evo 250gb M.2
Samsung 850 500gb
samsung 850 1tb
Asus rog strix gtx1080 ti oc gaming 11gb
ASUS ROG MAXIMUS IX FORMULA
blue ray drive
16gb G.skill Tridentz 3200Mhz
and about 4/5 casefans

Thanks in advance!
(english is not my native language)
Reply to Tos4494
4 answers Last reply Best Answer
More about 960 evo primary boot drive asus rog maximus formula
  1. Best answer
    PSU is fine and there is no reason you can't use that as the boot drive. I am using the same drive as my boot drive on my Ryzen build (Crosshair VI Hero). What stories have you read? Likely people who are doing it wrong.
    Reply to Rogue Leader
  2. Yes, you can use the m.2 as the primary boot drive. It shouldn't be difficult at all.
    Reply to jwcrellin
  3. Rogue Leader said:
    PSU is fine and there is no reason you can't use that as the boot drive. I am using the same drive as my boot drive on my Ryzen build (Crosshair VI Hero). What stories have you read? Likely people who are doing it wrong.

Thanks!
    The problems had something to do with the bios, it needed updates etc. before it reconized the ssd.
    Reply to Tos4494
  4. Tos4494 said:
    Rogue Leader said:

Thanks!
    The problems had something to do with the bios, it needed updates etc. before it reconized the ssd.

You can updatde the BIOS with just the CPU in there you don't need the SSD connected, and if thats the case that is not a big deal its simple. You should update it anyway. However I have serious doubts the BIOS needs an update to recognize an SSD, even an M.2
    Reply to Rogue Leader
Ask a new question Answer

Read More

Asus Samsung Boot Evo