Solved

Installing XP on a Hard drive thats in a docking station

Pretty simple question, Is there any way I can install windows XP on a Hard drive that's in a USB/eSATA docking station?
The docking station is connected to my pc running windows 10.

What I'm asking is there anyway I can drag files to the docked HDD?
I normally do this with reflect and images but since I don't have an image I can't rebuild the system.

I tried rebooting the computer and installing it as you normally would, but kept getting an issue half way through where the computer would just boot to windows 10. I'm trying not to install it in the xp system that the HDD will go in.

Thank you in advance.


ok for an update. The hard drive will be going into an old athlon system. That systems power supple is being switched with another better rated power supply. I don't want to boot from this hard drive in the docking station, but install an OS on it.
Reply to Achmedsback
5 answers Last reply Best Answer
More about installing hard drive docking station
  1. Why not put the drive in the system where it will live?

    Rather than trying to install it to a USB connected drive, connected to a whole different system.
    Reply to USAFRet
  2. Best answer
    Seriously, don't do this. XP can not be made to be safe. If you must install XP, install it in a virtual machine and do not connect it to any network. Microsoft and VMware and others have options for you.

    But to answer your question, you can do this. It depends on your PC bios. Most have a boot menu which includes USB devices.
    Reply to bjornl
  3. USAFRet said:
    Why not put the drive in the system where it will live?

    Rather than trying to install it to a USB connected drive, connected to a whole different system.


    Because that systems power supply is being swapped
    Reply to Achmedsback
  4. bjornl said:
    Seriously, don't do this. XP can not be made to be safe. If you must install XP, install it in a virtual machine and do not connect it to any network. Microsoft and VMware and others have options for you.

    But to answer your question, you can do this. It depends on your PC bios. Most have a boot menu which includes USB devices.


    I bought an old athlon system from the thrift store and am rebuilding it for my neighbors kids to see what I grew up with. It was working fine until the original hard drive crapped out.
    Reply to Achmedsback
  5. Achmedsback said:
    USAFRet said:
    Why not put the drive in the system where it will live?

    Rather than trying to install it to a USB connected drive, connected to a whole different system.


    Because that systems power supply is being swapped


    So wait until you get the PSU.

    And I agree with bjornl. Nostalgia or not, XP should only be run offline, or at most in a VM.
    Reply to USAFRet
Ask a new question Answer

Read More

windows 10 Clean Install Hard Drives Operating Systems Windows XP