Solved

Do I need optane SSD while I have 120GB ssd already ?

I have already intel 120GB 540s SSD as C drive,
rest I have is 1TB seagate HDD,
I saw some article that 16GB optane ssd can revamp my pc experience,
I am really confused whethere to buy or not
7 answers Last reply Best Answer
More about optane ssd 120gb ssd
  1. no unless you can see a .000025 diffrence in transfer speed.
  2. ARICH5 said:
    no unless you can see a .000025 diffrence in transfer speed.

    Sorry, I mistook while writing, I have 120GB SSD and 1TB HDD
  3. shamsul_arefin said:
    I saw some article that 16GB optane ssd can revamp my pc experience,

    Yes it can.
    BUT ... only if you're using Kaby Lake system and your storage is HDD.
    With SSD already in your system - improvement is rather insignificant.
  4. SkyNetRising said:
    shamsul_arefin said:
    I saw some article that 16GB optane ssd can revamp my pc experience,

    Yes it can.
    BUT ... only if you're using Kaby Lake system and your storage is HDD.
    With SSD already in your system - improvement is rather insignificant.

    I used Optane compatible motherboard and 7th gen processor , I am not sure, how it will benefit me ?
  5. If the HDD is just a storage drive there is no compelling reason to replace it with an SSD, at least not until prices come down to level where, byte for byte, the price difference is minimal.

    The main advantage of SSD over HDD is faster boot times when the OS is installed on it, you're already getting that advantage.

    I've moved this thread to "Storage" - - SSDs & HDDs are not "memory" devices.
  6. Possibly, even with HDD storage you're bound to put very big game (DOOM alone took 70Gb for example, so I doubt you have it on your SSD) so with Intel Optane caching your games on the HDD will load faster. Intel Optane for caching isn't very expensive so it might be a good idea to buy it. The other alternative of getting big SSD will be much more expensive (I have 500Gb + 1Tb Samsung EVO 850, I know).
  7. Best answer
    Quote:
    Do I need optane SSD...


    Short answer:
    No.

    Long answer:
    No.
    1. It is still a brand new technology. Let other people be the guinea pigs.
    2. It will provide minimal benefits over your existing SSD.
    3. Articles like the one you read are often simply hype.
    4. Optane is where SSD's were a few years ago. To generate hype and sales, the big thing was to use a smallish SSD (16 or 32GB) as a cache drive for the big HDD. Overall performance improvement was less than stellar.
Ask a new question

Read More

SSD Intel Seagate