Solved

Replaced old motherboard with new one, but no display

I bought a new motherboard (Asus Z170M-E) along with an Intel i5 CPU to upgrade my computer. I didn't want to do a fresh install after learning that one can successfully switch MOBOs without wiping anything! I got this idea from this video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0okv5XfPtI4

Now, the problems begin when I tried booting my computer. There are no audible beeps, and the fans turn on with the MOBO light being green. The monitor stays blank with no signal though.
1) I took out my graphics card to test with onboard graphics
2) I took out both sticks of my RAM, trying it with a single stick instead.
3) I changed the slot that the RAM was in
4) I held the power button down for a minute, with the power cord unplugged, and then I tried rebooting it afterwards.

I'm tempted to blame this on the old drivers in my used hard drive, but is that really the reason why I can't get any visuals? If it is, I am more than willing to swap in my old motherboard to boot up and uninstall them. I just want to make sure that 1) I'm not missing another option, and/or 2) my components aren't faulty.
Reply to erezbermudez
7 answers Last reply Best Answer
More about replaced motherboard display
  1. First, what CPU you bought? The problem is definitely not in drivers as you can't even boot to BIOS yet.
    Reply to DRagor
  2. DRagor said:
    First, what CPU you bought? The problem is definitely not in drivers as you can't even boot to BIOS yet.


    I bought an Intel i5-7600k LGA 1151. Do you think I've installed it wrong?
    Reply to erezbermudez
  3. For kaby lake cpu you need update bios with this board. You should had bought Z270 if you want this cpu support out of box.
    Reply to Mister_MO
  4. ^^ Exactly that was I suspecting. Return your Z170 board and buy Z270 instead.
    Reply to DRagor
  5. Mister_MO said:
    For kaby lake cpu you need update bios with this board. You should had bought Z270 if you want this cpu support out of box.


    Wow, thank you for the speedy reply! That puts my mind at ease. Is there way to update the BIOS without the CPU though? I'll get the Z270 if there's no way, but the thing is the Z270 requires DDR4 ram, and I only got DDR3.

    I'm trying to see if the MOBO allows Flashback, but I can't find anything... I'm assuming that means it can't. If I can get my hands on a 6th gen cpu, would I be able to update the BIOS to support my 7th then? Thank you guys again for the quick replies.
    Reply to erezbermudez
  6. Best answer
    No updating BIOS without CPU on that board, sorry. But using 6th gen CPU is good way to do that.
    Don't use DDR3 with that CPU, unless you have DDR3L. Even though that board can run with DDR3 fine, this CPU is not compatible with DDR3. It may work, more or less, for some time, but it will fail sooner or later.
    Reply to DRagor
  7. DRagor said:
    No updating BIOS without CPU on that board, sorry. But using 6th gen CPU is good way to do that.
    Don't use DDR3 with that CPU, unless you have DDR3L. Even though that board can run with DDR3 fine, this CPU is not compatible with DDR3. It may work, more or less, for some time, but it will fail sooner or later.


    Thanks for the heads up! Had no idea about that. I think I'll just return the Z170, get the Z270, buy some DDR4, and call it a day. Thank you guys for the help!
    Reply to erezbermudez
Ask a new question Answer

Read More

no display Intel i5 Computers Displays Motherboards Asus