Solved

Is Cooler Master GX II W550 enough for Zotac GTX 1070 AMP extreme?

Hi Guys

i have a recently purchased Cooler Master GX II W550 and i already purchased the Zotac GTX 1070 AMP extreme i will upgrade the PSU down the line but for now can i use it with the W550 PSU that i have now?

I used the coolermaster PSU calculator and its looking okay. just want to know from you guys because im not good with PSUs. i just want to know if i can use this PSU for few months with the new GTX 1070 so i can upgrade it.

Right now My PC specs are -
GTX 680 Direct CU II
16GB RAMS
I5 4670K
4 Case Fans
4 Hard Disk SSDs

PICS - IMG 1
Reply to evyosh
17 answers Last reply Best Answer
More about cooler master w550 zotac gtx 1070 amp extreme
  1. evyosh said:
    Hi Guys

    i have a recently purchased Cooler Master GX II W550 and i already purchased the Zotac GTX 1070 AMP extreme i will upgrade the PSU down the line but for now can i use it with the W550 PSU that i have now?

    I used the coolermaster PSU calculator and its looking okay. just want to know from you guys because im not good with PSUs. i just want to know if i can use this PSU for few months with the new GTX 1070 so i can upgrade it.

    Right now My PC specs are -
    GTX 680 Direct CU II
    16GB RAMS
    I5 4670K
    4 Case Fans
    4 Hard Disk SSDs

    PICS - IMG 1




    I would not risk such a nice card on that pretty garbage psu

    return it since you just bought it


    get a tier 1 or 2 unit from this list:

    520w or better


    http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/id-2547993/psu-tier-list.html
    Reply to maxalge
  2. maxalge said:
    evyosh said:
    Hi Guys

    i have a recently purchased Cooler Master GX II W550 and i already purchased the Zotac GTX 1070 AMP extreme i will upgrade the PSU down the line but for now can i use it with the W550 PSU that i have now?

    I used the coolermaster PSU calculator and its looking okay. just want to know from you guys because im not good with PSUs. i just want to know if i can use this PSU for few months with the new GTX 1070 so i can upgrade it.

    Right now My PC specs are -
    GTX 680 Direct CU II
    16GB RAMS
    I5 4670K
    4 Case Fans
    4 Hard Disk SSDs

    PICS - IMG 1




    I would not risk such a nice card on that pretty garbage psu

    return it since you just bought it


    get a tier 1 or 2 unit from this list:

    520w or better


    http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/id-2547993/psu-tier-list.html


    i have been using the PSU for a month already. dont think i can return it.

    what do you think about these 2? good to go?
    Seasonic X-650 650W 80PLUS Gold (Modular)
    XFX Pro Series 650W xxx edition Semi Modular 80+ Bronze
    Reply to evyosh
  3. evyosh said:
    maxalge said:
    evyosh said:
    Hi Guys

    i have a recently purchased Cooler Master GX II W550 and i already purchased the Zotac GTX 1070 AMP extreme i will upgrade the PSU down the line but for now can i use it with the W550 PSU that i have now?

    I used the coolermaster PSU calculator and its looking okay. just want to know from you guys because im not good with PSUs. i just want to know if i can use this PSU for few months with the new GTX 1070 so i can upgrade it.

    Right now My PC specs are -
    GTX 680 Direct CU II
    16GB RAMS
    I5 4670K
    4 Case Fans
    4 Hard Disk SSDs

    PICS - IMG 1




    I would not risk such a nice card on that pretty garbage psu

    return it since you just bought it


    get a tier 1 or 2 unit from this list:

    520w or better


    http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/id-2547993/psu-tier-list.html


    i have been using the PSU for a month already. dont think i can return it.

    what do you think about these 2? good to go?
    Seasonic X-650 650W 80PLUS Gold (Modular)
    XFX Pro Series 650W xxx edition Semi Modular 80+ Bronze


    yes, you dont need that much wattage though


    550w versions of the above two is more than enough
    Reply to maxalge
  4. Reply to evyosh
  5. I'd go for a 650w safely with a Haswell i5 and 1070, also keeps him proofed for higher wattage draw cards in the future like an 1180Ti for example.
    Also keep in mind this is an Amp Extreme 1070, a solid 550w would be the minimum i'd go with to be sure.
    https://dynaquestpc.com/product/seasonic-g-650-650watts-80plus-gold-modular-power-supply/
    Reply to Chugalug_
  6. Reply to superninja12
  7. So you're telling me $13 more for a power supply that will guarantee safety with this rig and well into the future is a waste of money despite the fact it's an Amp! Extreme 1070 with two 8 pins and a k series Haswell i5 which draws more power vs a Kaby Lake?
    It's well worth that little bit more in the long run, and OP has the budget for it.
    Reply to Chugalug_
  8. Chugalug_ said:
    So you're telling me $13 more for a power supply that will guarantee safety with this rig and well into the future is a waste of money despite the fact it's an Amp! Extreme 1070 with two 8 pins and a k series Haswell i5 which draws more power vs a Kaby Lake?
    It's well worth that little bit more, and OP has the budget for it.



    lets break that down.

    13 dollars, for one 5mins of work for the other 2 hours.
    guarantee the safety, im standing behind my suggestion that it is a very safe product.
    the psu features 2 6+2 pins, i dont see a problem there either.
    the power is plenty.

    i really dont see any problem.
    Reply to superninja12
  9. So let me put it this way for you then.
    2x 8 pin = 300w max draw
    PCIE Slot = 75w max draw
    System = 175w draw + for additional devices and drives.
    550w draw under high load.

    Under high system pressure or while running a very intensive game like say Arma 3 for a long period of time, I wouldn't be comfortable with that power draw.
    @OP, get the 650w if you want to be safe with your purchase, or get the 550w if you want to risk your system dropping out occasionally after long sessions.

    "13 dollars, for one 5mins of work for the other 2 hours." Not sure what you mean by that...
    Reply to Chugalug_
  10. A good 550w PSU would be plenty. Infact that 1070(even with the OC) likely draws less power than your GTX 680. Now the GXII is a notoriously poor quality PSU so I do suggest replacing it with a better unit
    Reply to bignastyid
  11. Chugalug_ said:
    So let me put it this way for you then.
    2x 8 pin = 300w max draw
    PCIE Slot = 75w max draw
    System = 175w draw + for additional devices and drives.
    550w draw under high load.

    Under high system pressure or while running a very intensive game like say Arma 3 for a long period of time, I wouldn't be comfortable with that power draw.
    @OP, get the 650w if you want to be safe with your purchase, or get the 550w if you want to risk your system dropping out occasionally after long sessions.

    "13 dollars, for one 5mins of work for the other 2 hours." Not sure what you mean by that...



    Your estimation is way overestimated. You would have to have a massive overclock on a 1070 for it to get anywhere near 300w. Just because it has the connectors doesn't mean it will ever come close to actually using that much power. At factory setting that card will draw less than 200w on full load. When hardwarecanucks tested the card they got a total system load of 309w.
    http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/hardware-canucks-reviews/73251-zotac-gtx-1070-amp-extreme-review-16.html
    Reply to bignastyid
  12. Yeah, i'm mentioning the theoretical TDP.
    I said above that it would be perfectly fine at 550w, but given future upgrades i'd be more willing to go for a 650w unit if that was the case.
    My friend OC'd a 1070 Amp Extreme a couple of monthss ago and ended up with a 535w system power draw using the Heaven Benchmark measured with an AXi unit, hence my concern with future upgrades and overclocking especially on Haswell.
    Reply to Chugalug_
  13. Im a person who works 10-14 hours a week [Web Developing, Graphic Designing and some sort level video editing] and on my free hours i play games for like 4-5 hours a day games i play [Rainbow six Siege, COD, Battlefield, PUBG]
    Reply to evyosh
  14. Trust me, you won't need a bigger PSU in for future proof stuff. Unless you plan on doing more than 1 graphics card. As more powerful stuff comes online, they will be more power efficient, just like what we've been seeing ever since the start of computers.
    Reply to TechyInAZ
  15. Best answer
    Yeah, I'm just thinking in terms of high end cards here, probably exaggerating, got a bit carried away. ;.;
    I'm talking in terms of enthusiast level cards like the Ti series though, and after overclocking i'd be more comfortable with a 650w, and it's a small price to pay imo.
    Given power efficiency, with 10nm I think we could easily see 1180s SLI'd with a 650w unit too, which definitely leaves the path open.
    Just my two cents, 550w is probably better value though.
    Reply to Chugalug_
  16. Chugalug_ said:
    Yeah, I'm just thinking in terms of high end cards here, probably exaggerating, got a bit carried away. ;.;
    I'm talking in terms of enthusiast level cards like the Ti series though, and after overclocking i'd be more comfortable with a 650w, and it's a small price to pay imo.
    Given power efficiency, with 10nm I think we could easily see 1180s SLI'd with a 650w unit too, which definitely leaves the path open.
    Just my two cents, 550w is probably better value though.


    I completely agree that dual card configs will need at least 650W. But for the future, I doubt anything more than a 550W for a top tier GPU is going to not be enough. :)
    Reply to TechyInAZ
  17. My take is that for 10 bucks more it's a good investment, up to OP to decide. :P
    Reply to Chugalug_
Ask a new question Answer

Read More

Gtx Cooler Master Zotac GPUs