Solved

Low voltage shock through the PC case!

Hi guys! Firstly, please forgive me for my bad english, I'm not native english. :D

The problem is this: When I tried to find what cause the coil whine (that was my GPU), my ear touched the CPU cooler and it's shocked me. With low voltage (if I measured it correctly with my multimeter, it's ~0,02-0,03V) like a small battery (wasn't painfully). I know it's sound like funny and weird, but I tried it also with my tongue on a couple screws of the case. When I'm grounded (wear shoes, or something) I can't feel it. But when I'm barefeet, i can feel it constantly (with my tongue)
I checked a lot of things: the backplate of the case, wires on the back of the mobo (none of them touched it), the wires (I don't have damaged wires), etc.
My specs:
PSU: FSP Hyper M 700
MoBo: MSI Z170-A Pro
Case: Zalman Z9 Neo
CPU: i5-6600K
VGA: GTX 1070 G1 Gaming Gigabyte

It's really not an old configuration. Everything works fine, I didn't recognize any problem (only if I connect a phone it's also can shock me, or maybe 2 of my pendrives also died because of that).

What's the problem? Please help me out! I checked all of the questions here.
Reply to SecRS
11 answers Last reply Best Answer
More about low voltage shock case
  1. Well, first stop licking your computer, not very sanitary !!!
    Secondly 0.02v is much less than even smallest battery (1.2 - 1.5v) and could be just generated as static electricity produced by air circulation. Another cause could be a leak in your PSU or even earthing from home electrical system. A nearby electromagnetic device like a fridge or washing machine connected to same fuse.
    Reply to CountMike
  2. SecRS said:
    Hi guys! Firstly, please forgive me for my bad english, I'm not native english. :D

    The problem is this: When I tried to find what cause the coil whine (that was my GPU), my ear touched the CPU cooler and it's shocked me. With low voltage (if I measured it correctly with my multimeter, it's ~0,02-0,03V) like a small battery (wasn't painfully). I know it's sound like funny and weird, but I tried it also with my tongue on a couple screws of the case. When I'm grounded (wear shoes, or something) I can't feel it. But when I'm barefeet, i can feel it constantly (with my tongue)
    I checked a lot of things: the backplate of the case, wires on the back of the mobo (none of them touched it), the wires (I don't have damaged wires), etc.
    My specs:
    PSU: FSP Hyper M 700
    MoBo: MSI Z170-A Pro
    Case: Zalman Z9 Neo
    CPU: i5-6600K
    VGA: GTX 1070 G1 Gaming Gigabyte

    It's really not an old configuration. Everything works fine, I didn't recognize any problem (only if I connect a phone it's also can shock me, or maybe 2 of my pendrives also died because of that).

    What's the problem? Please help me out! I checked all of the questions here.


    You licked your heatsink? This young woman is known for similar escapades I've been around PC's for over 30 years and haven't ever even considered licking or touching my heatsink with my tongue. You puzzle me, in a good way...

    Do you have 3 prong outlets in your home that are properly grounded?
    Reply to aquielisunari
  3. I solved it. The connector in my room isn't grounded... and yep (I live in an old flat house). That's it.
    Reply to SecRS
  4. In Europe we don't have 3 prong outlet, so it's not that easy to find out.
    Reply to SecRS
  5. You are lucky to be alive, licking electrical stuff... really ????? If there was a short anywhere in the house at that time you would never lick another ice-cream again at least.
    Reply to CountMike
  6. CountMike said:
    You are lucky to be alive, licking electrical stuff... really ????? If there was a short anywhere in the house at that time you would never lick another ice-cream again at least.


    I'm not an idiot, as I wrote it, first I measured it with a multimeter. ;)
    Reply to SecRS
  7. SecRS said:
    In Europe we don't have 3 prong outlet, so it's not that easy to find out.

    Oh yes, we do !!!!
    Reply to CountMike


  8. In my country, it's looks like this. The two little metal part is the ground. But If it's not connecting with the ground properly (maybe just the outlet looks like this, but actually the grounding is nowhere), it's a kinda shitty story. But I figured it out. My question got the answer by me. :D
    Reply to SecRS
  9. You could have measured it but at that time there was no short anywhere. Ground is mostly to let electricity go thru to ground in case of a short. Ground is one for whole house and if there was short anywhere in the house ground wire would be powered until fuse disconnects. In addition to that, in older houses neutral and ground may be same thing so there's even more chance to get electrocuted.
    In short, do not lick anything connected to more than 5v and very low power.
    Reply to CountMike
  10. Nope. First time the PC was in a outlet with no real ground. Here Hungary, before 1985 the ground was mandatory only in the "cold floored" rooms (like kitchen, bathroom, etc.). In the living room, bedroom, or in my home office, the ground wire isn't connected. So I took an extension wire and connect my PC into a well-grounded outlet. So all the problems are solved by this.
    Reply to SecRS
  11. Best answer
    Moral of the story is to always connect all things that have ground prong (of any shape) only to grounded outlets. And no licking please.
    Reply to CountMike
Ask a new question Answer

Read More

Cases