Solved

MSI B350 Tomahawk and Ryzen 5 issues

I have recently purchased a MSI B350 Tomahawk a week ago and my Ryzen 5 1600 processor just came in yesterday. I also have a Corsair 3200Mhz DDR4 8GBx2 RAM sticks and using a EVGA 700W PSU. I tested it outside the case first to make sure it would post correctly. However it didn't, at first all I was getting as nothing at all, fans and LEDs would spin up however no POST beeps. After some reading I thought of trying lower clock speed memory, I use a crucial 2133 Mhz 4GB DDR4 stick and still the same result. Next I took out the CMOS and put it back in to see. To my surprise I get POST beeps. However I get 4 POST beeps indicating it's the Motherboard. I also have the DRAM and Motherboard lights come up on the motherboard. I double checked my connections (8 pin Motherboard and 24 pin) tried with another PSU just in case. I've also tried with a video card as well (RX580 and a GTX 1060 3gb card) and I get the same thing. I'm almost certain at this point it's either a DOA board or it's the wrong BIOS revision. I am in the process of getting in contact with retailer and returning it or getting a new one, however I wanted to see if you guys have any second opinions or thoughts or can think of something I missed.

Thank you.
Reply to BlackLegBrian
15 answers Last reply Best Answer
More about msi b350 tomahawk ryzen issues
  1. On MSI Tomahawk you have to have PSU plugged into wall and turned on but computer turned off if you want to reset CMOS.
    I have that mobo. So try that first. Then, start your comp, let it run for 5 mins and see if you get a signal on your monitor. It can take time before the computer finds correct memory speed etc.
    It's a lot faster on newer BIOS version 1.3 but I suspect your board will have older version.
    Reply to mamasan2000
  2. mamasan2000 said:
    On MSI Tomahawk you have to have PSU plugged into wall and turned on but computer turned off if you want to reset CMOS.
    I have that mobo. So try that first. Then, start your comp, let it run for 5 mins and see if you get a signal on your monitor. It can take time before the computer finds correct memory speed etc.
    It's a lot faster on newer BIOS version 1.3 but I suspect your board will have older version.

    I attempted to reset the CMOS as you stated sadly it is still doing the same. 4 POST beeps and then will just have fans/leds. I let it sit for under 10 mintues and still the same.
    Reply to BlackLegBrian
  3. Best answer
    Did you test with minimum hardware installed? Just CPU, GPU and 1 stick of RAM, nothing else.
    If it still doesn't boot, I would take it back to the shop.
    Reply to mamasan2000
  4. mamasan2000 said:
    Did you test with minimum hardware installed? Just CPU, GPU and 1 stick of RAM, nothing else.
    If it still doesn't boot, I would take it back to the shop.


    Yes, I did this first. I have already submitted an RMA request to Newegg and will be getting a new board.
    Reply to BlackLegBrian
  5. just wondering if you had any luck with the RMA and with a new motherboard
    I am having the same issue - MSI B350 MB , with Ryzen 1700 cpu , no pic
    Have tried Bios reset , diff. Ram, 2 diff. video cards , gets full power , led on MB and CPU and vid card all power up
    also tried VGA and HDMI monitors
    HELP
    Reply to mrpenguin
  6. mrpenguin said:
    just wondering if you had any luck with the RMA and with a new motherboard
    I am having the same issue - MSI B350 MB , with Ryzen 1700 cpu , no pic
    Have tried Bios reset , diff. Ram, 2 diff. video cards , gets full power , led on MB and CPU and vid card all power up
    also tried VGA and HDMI monitors
    HELP


    That sounds like a DOA Motherboard to me. They did label mine as defected through Newegg RMA. It took them around a week and ahalf in total to ship it to them, determine it's defected and to have it shipped back to me. It's supposed to arrive today actually. I suggest you look into RMA.
    Reply to BlackLegBrian
  7. I had a similar problem. If the board is straight out of the box then it doesn't support R5 1600. For that the BIOS needs to be updated to v1.3. This can only be done with a R7 chip since these are supported with the initial BIOS revision. I sent mine back to the retailer and they updated the BIOS for me, it works fine now. I think the 4 beeps you were getting indicate a memory issue because when I took out all of my memory I get the same beep code.
    Reply to Znarb93
  8. Put only one stick of ram in the number 2 slot I did and my ryzen 5 1600x posted
    Reply to Itsmeman
  9. Just put one stick of ram in the number two slot and it will post mine did with the ryzen 5 1600x
    Reply to Itsmeman
  10. Itsmeman said:
    Just put one stick of ram in the number two slot and it will post mine did with the ryzen 5 1600x


    After that, I imagine you just have to go to MSI's website and download the updated BIOS? Then add the second stick back to the board and everything should work fine? Is that what you did?
    Reply to grefferd
  11. grefferd said:
    Itsmeman said:
    Just put one stick of ram in the number two slot and it will post mine did with the ryzen 5 1600x


    After that, I imagine you just have to go to MSI's website and download the updated BIOS? Then add the second stick back to the board and everything should work fine? Is that what you did?
    Reply to Itsmeman
  12. Yep exactly
    Reply to Itsmeman
  13. Itsmeman said:
    Yep exactly


    Awesome thank you!!
    Reply to grefferd
  14. Itsmeman said:
    Just put one stick of ram in the number two slot and it will post mine did with the ryzen 5 1600x



    I tried to do that with my ryzen 5 1600 but it caused the red led ez boot error... Idk what to do... Plz help.... No image appears at all
    Reply to maximeturck
  15. Turn your computer on and let the mobo attempt and fail to boot 5 times in a row without turning your system off. This should automatically reset your CMOS. That's what I did and it booted properly the 6th time it tried to boot. This only works if you have a mobo that automatically resets the CMOS after 5 boot failures like the MSI Tomahawk.

    If not, search how to manually reset your CMOS on here and plenty of helpful instructions should come up.
    Reply to grefferd
Ask a new question Answer

Read More

MSI-Microstar