Solved

Knocked over PC - won't boot! HELP! :(

So this is really weird, I was getting up off my chair and accidentally knocked my PC over.

It rebooted and displayed a "detected power surge" error but worked ok and I got back to gaming.

5-10minutes later, my pc straight up just shuts off.

I have checked my PC and noticed that (note: I have the stock Intel CPU cooler for the i5 6600k) one of the 4 things that you push down to connect the cooler is loose and wiggles around - I can't seem to secure it either.

I also have the ASUS z170-p motherboard and when I turn the power on, there's usually a large orange light running down the left side, but that's no longer there - only a small green light at the bottom right.

Please note: when I hold down the power button - NOTHING happens.

I have removed the GPU and Hard drive and the issue is still there, the ram is also secure.

I'm hoping it's my power supply that's died cus I really don't have the money to buy a new mobo/CPU - what do you guys think is broke?
Reply to Proman Yeoman
3 answers Last reply Best Answer
More about knocked boot
  1. Best answer
    Have you checked and rechecked all of the connections? All of the power connections, the connection that allows your PC to boot via your power button, the 24 pin motherboard connector, etc? I've had a few scares where I took something out and then it wouldn't turn back on... to find that the only thing that was wrong was that I accidentally wiggled a few connections loose.

    I cannot recommend enough that (regardless of this problem) you should not be using a stock cooler with a 6600k, and as a second to that statement, you should not be using the cooler if it does not have proper contact with the CPU itself.
    Reply to genthug
  2. Proman Yeoman said:
    So this is really weird, I was getting up off my chair and accidentally knocked my PC over.....one of the 4 things that you push down to connect the cooler is loose and wiggles around - I can't seem to secure it either.


    Ermm well you need to secure it down, if you can't then most likely it will need to be replaced completely with new Thermal Paste as well. Honestly it sounds like possibly the CPU might been pulled since you had the cooler come free, and needs to be reseated (hopefully), as well. But yes you MUST have all four secured down or else it will not cool (your CPU over heats) and pulls on the CPU (spin a top and it moves around, so does a spinning fan).

    Proman Yeoman said:

    I also have the ASUS z170-p motherboard and when I turn the power on, there's usually a large orange light running down the left side, but that's no longer there - only a small green light at the bottom right.

    Please note: when I hold down the power button - NOTHING happens.


    Yeah, that happens when you DROP something that is very sensitive to such things. :)
    Did you check the motherboard manual for the 'light' and what the indicator says?
    You can get it at the ASUS website.

    Proman Yeoman said:

    I have removed the GPU and Hard drive and the issue is still there, the ram is also secure.

    I'm hoping it's my power supply that's died cus I really don't have the money to buy a new mobo/CPU - what do you guys think is broke?


    Well you sadly may have to. The CPU isn't re-enforced for such drops on 'generic' systems. Sorry...
    Reply to Tom Tancredi
Ask a new question Answer