Solved

Various BSOD errors on brand new build.

I recent purchased this combo deal from newegg: https://m.newegg.com/combo/combodetail?comboid=3313876&combotype=2&itemnumber=N82E16813132691

I added a second 1070 ftw and swapped out the psu for this one: https://m.newegg.com/products/N82E16817438018

I also added a WD Blue 1TB HDD.

I double checked using pc part picker to make sure that the power supply could support everything and went ahead and assembled it all.

The first time I booted it up I had a bit of an issue getting the computer to recognize the display but eventually managed to get it to work by just making sure that the monitor was on and plugged in before turning the computer on.

I then went ahead and installed a copy of Windows 10 pro from my flash drive. Everything seemed to be working fine so I went ahead and updated the drivers for the Ethernet adapter, as I wasn't getting it to connect via Ethernet. With that fixed I went ahead and installed nvidia's software and updated those drivers, had to start making it look pretty right?

All seemed well until I started to download all my usual software i.e. Steam, Discord, Chrome, Spotify, etc. I started to get random BSODs for various reasons. Some of which included these:
SYSTEM_THREAD_EXCEPTION_NOT_HANDLED,
IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL,
KMODE_EXCEPTION_NOT_HANDLED,
PAGE_FAULT_IN_NONPAGED_AREA

These were usually accompanied with programs crashing first like Discord or League of Legends.

I went through all the drivers and attempted to update them, some of which did while others didn't need to be. I am never able to recreate a specific scenario that results in a crash. They seem random and sporadic.

Any ideas?
7 answers Last reply Best Answer
More about bsod errors brand build
  1. so.... that's a really really really horrible quality power supply, it's a huge potential issue. It's not even 80+ rated, which is... the bare minimum.
    It's not even good enough to power 1 1070, it only has a 6 pin and an 8pin, but the 1070FTW requires 2 8pins, and you have 2 of them in there?
  2. James Mason said:
    so.... that's a really really really horrible quality power supply, it's a huge potential issue. It's not even 80+ rated, which is... the bare minimum.
    It's not even good enough to power 1 1070, it only has a 6 pin and an 8pin, but the 1070FTW requires 2 8pins, and you have 2 of them in there?




    I didn't use the psu that came with the combo. I used one that I already had. In case the link is broken it is an EVGA Supernova 850 G2 and it is 80+ Gold certified.
  3. Best answer
    SchmidlMeThis said:

    I didn't use the psu that came with the combo. I used one that I already had. In case the link is broken it is an EVGA Supernova 850 G2 and it is 80+ Gold certified.


    phew thank goodness.

    First off, I would remake your Windows 10 Pro drive:
    https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10
    Then I would try to reinstall windows 10 again, as BSODs like this should be happening unless something went wrong with the windows 10 install, or you have some seriously hardware issues.

    It sounds like possibly RAM or HDD/SSD issue though if hardware is at fault.
  4. James Mason said:


    phew thank goodness.

    First off, I would remake your Windows 10 Pro drive:
    https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10
    Then I would try to reinstall windows 10 again, as BSODs like this should be happening unless something went wrong with the windows 10 install, or you have some seriously hardware issues.

    It sounds like possibly RAM or HDD/SSD issue though if hardware is at fault.


    Alright, I will go ahead with a fresh install and see how that works. I will keep you posted.
  5. Ok, so I went ahead and backed everything up to an external and then wiped everything and performed a fresh install. One thing I noticed right away while I was trying to clear all of the partitions is that there seemed to be some sort of problem with the 1TB drive that I added. It wouldn't let me perform any sort of actions on it at all. I left it alone for now and went ahead and installed Windows 10 onto the ssd.

    I booted everything up, so far so good. Went ahead and updated my drivers for the video cards, still running smoothly. I noticed that my additional drives were not showing up and realized that I had not created simple volumes on them. I set up one, no problem, however the other kept giving me a cycle redundancy error. I ran an hdsentinel scan and sure enough it was telling me that the drive was having issues. I'm going to check it now to make sure I actually plugged everything in correctly. If I didn't, well, then problem solved. If it is, I'll just have to return the drive for another. No BSODs as of yet. However, after checking the drive I'll be monitoring it closely just in case it is a faulty RAM issue.

    Just wanted to keep you updated, I appreciate your help. I'm gonna facepalm if it was something so simple...

    EDIT: It would appear that the drive is, in fact, failing. I have removed it for now and will get it replaced soon.
  6. James Mason said:

    First off, I would remake your Windows 10 Pro drive:
    https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10
    Then I would try to reinstall windows 10 again, as BSODs like this should be happening unless something went wrong with the windows 10 install, or you have some seriously hardware issues.

    It sounds like possibly RAM or HDD/SSD issue though if hardware is at fault.


    Not sure if it was a combination of a botched install and the drive or just the drive but in either scenario I appreciate your help!
  7. Well that's good to hear, at first I was initially worried that PSU was gonna burn your house down or something.
Ask a new question