Solved

I3 4170 not running at full potential when gaming.

Hello, I need help to improve performance of my cpu. So, for instance, I play for honor(system meets minimum requirements) but i keep getting fps stutter every second, it jumps from 40 to 20 almost every second. Playing it on lowest, have only 1200~ vram usage (I have gtx 650 ti 2gb), RAM 40%, Cpu 40%(game uses only about 25% of cpu) in my opinion that is a very low amount being used. I can't play games without stutter. Also in warframe on max settings i have like 130 fps but i keep getting the same stutter(a lot smaller of course but still).
Please help ! :)
6 answers Last reply Best Answer
More about 4170 running full potential gaming
  1. The issue is not the CPU usage but it's the CPU, and possibly the video card and RAM amount. If you can overclock your system do that, or replace the parts with something faster. You can probably find a used i5 CPU that will run in your motherboard, and upgrade to a 750 Ti, or a 1050 Ti if that will run in your motherboard also. RX 470 or 480 are also good for the price. RX 470 is about $150 after rebates.
  2. hang-the-9 said:
    The issue is not the CPU usage but it's the CPU, and possibly the video card and RAM amount. If you can overclock your system do that, or replace the parts with something faster. You can probably find a used i5 CPU that will run in your motherboard, and upgrade to a 750 Ti, or a 1050 Ti if that will run in your motherboard also. RX 470 or 480 are also good for the price. RX 470 is about $150 after rebates.


    Video card seems to be okay, but can I somehow boost the performance on cpu without overclocking, because I have stock cooler atm. I just tried DOTA 2, and no matter if on high or low settings i keep getting fps stutters or something like that, it keeps freezing for like 0.1 sec all the time.
  3. Best answer
    Did you check temps in the system? Overheating will cause stutter. If the issue is in all games you want to make sure the computer is clean, maybe do a new Windows setup. A failing hard drive can cause issues in games but it would be a bit random pauses not ever second all the time.
  4. hang-the-9 said:
    Did you check temps in the system? Overheating will cause stutter. If the issue is in all games you want to make sure the computer is clean, maybe do a new Windows setup. A failing hard drive can cause issues in games but it would be a bit random pauses not ever second all the time.


    Got a clean windows install last week, got also a new Hard Drive which is undamadged. CPU and GPU last time i checked were both around ~60°C or something like that
  5. Supreez said:
    hang-the-9 said:
    Did you check temps in the system? Overheating will cause stutter. If the issue is in all games you want to make sure the computer is clean, maybe do a new Windows setup. A failing hard drive can cause issues in games but it would be a bit random pauses not ever second all the time.


    Got a clean windows install last week, got also a new Hard Drive which is undamadged. CPU and GPU last time i checked were both around ~60°C or something like that


    Then it could just be the CPU or video card are not fast enough to maintain smooth FPS in the games you are playing at the settings you have them at.
  6. hang-the-9 said:
    Supreez said:
    hang-the-9 said:
    Did you check temps in the system? Overheating will cause stutter. If the issue is in all games you want to make sure the computer is clean, maybe do a new Windows setup. A failing hard drive can cause issues in games but it would be a bit random pauses not ever second all the time.


    Got a clean windows install last week, got also a new Hard Drive which is undamadged. CPU and GPU last time i checked were both around ~60°C or something like that


    Then it could just be the CPU or video card are not fast enough to maintain smooth FPS in the games you are playing at the settings you have them at.


    Video card 100% can't be the problem, I have ran many good games with it and it deals with them very good+i usually play on low settings big games, and video card doesnt use all of vram. So i guess it maybe could be because of the dual core cpu? An hour ago tried Titanfall 2, pc started lagging, couldnt close titanfall, pc crashed....
Ask a new question