Solved

storage problem .

so i have GTA V installed on my pc. but i installed a 2tb hdd in recently and moved everything on to it and now it wants me to reinstall GTAV, but it keeps trying to put it on my operating system ssd which only has 9 gb free. how can i get it to install on my 2 tb hdd?
11 answers Last reply Best Answer
More about storage problem
  1. Do you have GTA V via Steam?
  2. Blake_40 said:
    so i have GTA V installed on my pc. but i installed a 2tb hdd in recently and moved everything on to it and now it wants me to reinstall GTAV, but it keeps trying to put it on my operating system ssd which only has 9 gb free. how can i get it to install on my 2 tb hdd?


    Where did it come from, and how did you install this?
  3. And...
    "but i installed a 2tb hdd in recently and moved everything on to it"

    How, exactly, did you do this?
  4. WildCard999 said:
    Do you have GTA V via Steam?


    it is a hard copy of gtav. i installed it on one of my old hdd"s and moved it to the new 2tb hdd, everything is on the hard drive but it has to be reinstalled i guess because i have moved the folder before and it always has to be reinstalled for some reason but this time it keeps trying to put it on the small ssd even though it is on my hdd and thats where i want it reinstalled.
  5. USAFRet said:
    And...
    "but i installed a 2tb hdd in recently and moved everything on to it"

    How, exactly, did you do this?


    i highlighted everything on my old hdds and moved them to the new one. everything else is working properly i can play any other games and all my files work perfectly except for this one wanting to be put on my ssd.
  6. Blake_40 said:
    USAFRet said:
    And...
    "but i installed a 2tb hdd in recently and moved everything on to it"

    How, exactly, did you do this?


    i highlighted everything on my old hdds and moved them to the new one. everything else is working properly i can play any other games and all my files work perfectly except for this one wanting to be put on my ssd.


    I'm seriously hoping you're going to tell me this is a secondary drive, and not the OS drive....
    Please tell me this is true.
  7. USAFRet said:
    Blake_40 said:
    USAFRet said:
    And...
    "but i installed a 2tb hdd in recently and moved everything on to it"

    How, exactly, did you do this?


    i highlighted everything on my old hdds and moved them to the new one. everything else is working properly i can play any other games and all my files work perfectly except for this one wanting to be put on my ssd.


    I'm seriously hoping you're going to tell me this is a secondary drive, and not the OS drive....
    Please tell me this is true.


    i really hope you know im not a f***ing retard.... i literally just said in my question ,if you could read, that my operating system is on the SSD. i moved all my games and other files from my old smaller HDD"s and moved them all to my new bigger hdd... are you going to answer my original question or critique me on other crap?
  8. Well...that's a way to gather good replies.

    So...reading between the lines:
    "old hdds" refers to more than one.
    With different drive letters.
    And now all copied to one, newer, larger drive.
    With a single drive letter.

    So...your references for some of those things point to a drive letter that no longer exists.

    Might this be the case?
  9. USAFRet said:
    Well...that's a way to gather good replies.

    So...reading between the lines:
    "old hdds" refers to more than one.
    With different drive letters.
    And now all copied to one, newer, larger drive.
    With a single drive letter.

    So...your references for some of those things point to a drive letter that no longer exists.

    Might this be the case?


    i figured that is the reason why its wanting me to reinstall the game, but my problem is that it keeps wanting to be installed on my SSD, and it doesnt let me choose where to actually install it. thats the problem that i am running into currently. cause like i was saying is that all my other games have installed and play just fine through my new HDD and all my files also work just fine as well. its just this game wanting to be installed else where.
  10. Blake_40 said:
    USAFRet said:
    Well...that's a way to gather good replies.

    So...reading between the lines:
    "old hdds" refers to more than one.
    With different drive letters.
    And now all copied to one, newer, larger drive.
    With a single drive letter.

    So...your references for some of those things point to a drive letter that no longer exists.

    Might this be the case?


    i figured that is the reason why its wanting me to reinstall the game, but my problem is that it keeps wanting to be installed on my SSD, and it doesnt let me choose where to actually install it. thats the problem that i am running into currently. cause like i was saying is that all my other games have installed and play just fine through my new HDD and all my files also work just fine as well. its just this game wanting to be installed else where.


    If this was installed via Steam, you can almost certainly just tell the Steam client of the new path.
    Drive and folder.
    Running it initially might say "reinstall", but that would just be basically updating pointers in the Steam client, etc.

    If other than Steam, you'll probably have to reinstall it on whatever drive you want.
  11. Best answer
    I would uninstall GTA V from the system altogether (may need to manually delete files that you copied), then reinstall it to the 2TB HDD (there should be a option during installation to select a download location). You may also need to reinstall the Rockstar Social Club launcher.

    The only downside to this is you will likely lose story progress (happened to me but with Steam), I'm not sure about online progress.
Ask a new question

Read More

Video Games Storage Hard Drives