Solved

random instant shutdown whilst gaming cause?

When i play "Graphically Intensive" games, my computer instantly black screens, turns off (as if there was a power cut) and sometimes reboots, but sometimes doesn't.

Hello, i have been having this problem for a few months now, i use my PC mostly for gaming, i used to play games such as GTA5, The Division, and a other graphically intensive games. The problem only occurs when I play games like this, as i Play LoL and CS:GO constantly with no problem.

I have looked on many forums for an answer, and its a 50/50 between my graphics card (MSI GTX 9602G) and my PSU (Corsair CX750M), i have not tested another power supply yet, but I have in fact tested another graphics card (a much weaker GTX650) and the problem seems to be gone, I have also looked into if the problem is overheating, but i have 7 fans, the MSI GTX 960 fans running faster then default, and the case side panel off, and the problem still persists. I'm not sure how to tell if its the PSU, or the graphics card :l

Side Note- I could sometimes play for an hour without a crash, and sometimes it could be in the first 5 minutes. (idk if this helps but it might)
18 answers Last reply Best Answer
More about random instant shutdown whilst gaming
  1. personally I believe it is that 960, see if you can install msi afterburner and kombustor and see how your thermals do after a while, if you have the same problem as before it would indicate that your gpu is failing. If there is still no strong indication that its solely your gpu, id see what the voltages are going to your components using a hw monitor or even a kill-a-watt reader that you can purchase from a local hardware store. But my hunch is its the gpu having a hard time.
  2. Mikeandike said:
    personally I believe it is that 960, see if you can install msi afterburner and kombustor and see how your thermals do after a while, if you have the same problem as before it would indicate that your gpu is failing. If there is still no strong indication that its solely your gpu, id see what the voltages are going to your components using a hw monitor or even a kill-a-watt reader that you can purchase from a local hardware store. But my hunch is its the gpu having a hard time.


    Thanks for the response, i've downloaded kombustor, but im not entirely sure what to do with it, i've googled it and most of the threads are for overclocking?

    Edit- i opened one of the tests for about 10 mins, and the computer did shut down, the same as when i played graphically intensive games, does this mean that the graphics card is the problem?
  3. Can you test with another psu?
    What motherboard are you using?
  4. I dont have access to another PSU unfortunately, my motherboard is a Gigabyte GA-78LMT.
  5. either PSU or Video card the 960 is a demanding card on power so it could be the cause to the problem but could very well be the power supply your using, mind sharing the make/model and wattage you have on that PSU of yours ?

    Edit: Sorry you stated CX750M, what colour is the label on that PSu ?
  6. Jakeee said:
    my motherboard is a Gigabyte GA-78LMT.

    There are two different versions of that motherboard so i'd like to know which one. Also it's AMD so which cpu is used with it?
  7. The Paladin said:
    either PSU or Video card the 960 is a demanding card on power so it could be the cause to the problem but could very well be the power supply your using, mind sharing the make/model and wattage you have on that PSU of yours ?

    Edit: Sorry you stated CX750M, what colour is the label on that PSu ?


    What do you mean by colour of the label? The rating? (Bronze 80+ i think)
  8. Vic 40 said:
    Jakeee said:
    my motherboard is a Gigabyte GA-78LMT.

    There are two different versions of that motherboard so i'd like to know which one. Also it's AMD so which cpu is used with it?


    I'm pretty sure its this one http://www.gigabyte.com/Motherboard/GA-78LMT-USB3-rev-50#ov , and for CPU, im using a basic AMD FX 6300 6 core
  9. is it looking like this ?



    or like this ?



    the green label one can have issues under heavy loads , why I am, asking.
  10. The Paladin said:
    is it looking like this ?



    or like this ?



    the green label one can have issues under heavy loads , why I am, asking.


    :O
    It is the green label, does this mean its most likely the power supply cant give enough power to the better graphics card, but i dont have the problem when the lower end one is in use?
  11. Motherboard+cpu combo doesn't seem to be the problem so it looks more and more a psu problem.
  12. Best answer
    Jakeee said:
    Quote:
    It is the green label, does this mean its most likely the power supply cant give enough power to the better graphics card, but i dont have the problem when the lower end one is in use?

    exactly, the more demanding video card is stressing out your "weak" PSU, and it trips out.
  13. The Paladin said:
    Jakeee said:
    Quote:
    It is the green label, does this mean its most likely the power supply cant give enough power to the better graphics card, but i dont have the problem when the lower end one is in use?

    exactly, the more demanding video card is stressing out your "weak" PSU, and it trips out.


    Is it not weird that it used to be fine playing those games then started randomly started turning off one day?
    If i need a new PSU, could you recommend one that i wont have the same problem with please?
  14. to properly recommend a PSU I would need;

    CPU Make and model
    Motherboard make and model
    Ram make and model and quantity (ie 2x1gb)
    how many drives, CD-ROM's
    Video card Make and model - think you stated MSI GTX 9602G
  15. Motherboard - Gigabyte GA-78LMT USB3, (link is above somewhere in this forum)
    CPU - AMD FX -6300, Vishera
    RAM - 3x Corsair 4GB Vengeance RAM
    CD-ROM/Drives - No disc drives, 500gb hard drive (no 100% on the make) and a 128GB Samsung Evo 850 SSD
    Video Card - MSI GTX 960 2GB
    Hopefully this helps :p
  16. thank you that was great, your system power consumption is approximatively low 75W to high 318W
    so a quality gold 450w/500w should be sufficient to cover everything.

    like
    Power Supply: SeaSonic 450W 80+ Gold Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply ($64.99 @ SuperBiiz)

    or Power Supply: SeaSonic G 550W 80+ Gold Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply ($69.49 @ SuperBiiz)
    Total: $69.49
  17. The Paladin said:
    thank you that was great, your system power consumption is approximatively low 75W to high 318W
    so a quality gold 450w/500w should be sufficient to cover everything.

    like
    Power Supply: SeaSonic 450W 80+ Gold Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply ($64.99 @ SuperBiiz)

    or Power Supply: SeaSonic G 550W 80+ Gold Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply ($69.49 @ SuperBiiz)
    Total: $69.49


    Thank you, with this power supply (550), would i still have room to upgrade my motherboard and processor in the future or would it be better to go to a 650 just in case?
  18. hate to mention this but there isn't really upgrade for cpu oon your system worth the money invested in it (ie FX8350)
    if you went amd R5 or Intel 6xxx or 7xxx they consume less power than your current cpu so it should not be an issue but if worried you can go to 650w of similar (80+ gold) quality
Ask a new question

Read More

Gaming Power Supplies Graphics Cards Hardware Problem Shutdown