Solved

Can AM2/AM3 CPU cooler fit FM2+ socket

So i have a FM2+ based system
CPU: AMD Athlon 880k OC to 4.6 GHz
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO
Mobo: ASRock A88X Extreme 6+
RAM: Kingston HyperX Blue 12GB DDR3 2133MHz
PSU: Corsair RM750
Case: MS Falcon Blue


I want to buy Corsair H70 water cooler, and on Corsair official site it says compatible with AMD AM2 , AMD AM3. Can AM2 or AM3 CPU cooler fit socket FM2+
6 answers Last reply Best Answer
More about am2 am3 cpu cooler fit fm2 socket
  1. If it doesn't explicity say then nope. I suggest you save the cash and get a Ryzen upgrade. Dont use water cooling on anything FM2 as its not worth the small gains.
  2. With little mechanical adjustments, you can set any cooler with any CPU
  3. elbert said:
    If it doesn't explicity say then nope. I suggest you save the cash and get a Ryzen upgrade. Dont use water cooling on anything FM2 as its not worth the small gains.


    Well i don't have money for Ryzen now but planing on upgrading, i asked this because i found a steal deal for Corsair H70.


    Thanks for answering :D
  4. Ravi Sankar said:
    With little mechanical adjustments, you can set any cooler with any CPU


    I looked online and it says its possible to mount AM3 CPU coolers on FM2+ but i wanted to hear everibody's opinion just to be secure.
  5. Best answer
    Yes, you can use AM2/AM3?AM3+ heatsinks with FM2+ APUs/CPUs. The brackets/mounts are the same dimensions.

    What you have to make sure of is that the heatsink is of sufficient cooling power (TDP rating) to handle the CPU/APU you are intending to cool. The 212 EVO is good for all but the FX-9xxx series of CPUs. The H70 will be fine as well.
  6. COLGeek said:
    Yes, you can use AM2/AM3?AM3+ heatsinks with FM2+ APUs/CPUs. The brackets/mounts are the same dimensions.

    What you have to make sure of is that the heatsink is of sufficient cooling power (TDP rating) to handle the CPU/APU you are intending to cool. The 212 EVO is good for all but the FX-9xxx series of CPUs. The H70 will be fine as well.


    I used MSI Afterburner to see CPU temperatures and my cpy while playing GTA V on ultra/very high settings was hitting 68C while OC to 4.6 GHz and vcore is 1.39V. On idle the CPU temp was 17C.
Ask a new question

Read More

AMD Cooling CPUs Corsair Socket