Please Help! Motherboard is NOT detecting GPU in PCIe slots

So I'll admit that I'm new to PC building however I follow instructions pretty well. I'm having issues with my first build. It's been rocky from start to now.

My first issue was that my computer wasn't turning on.
I brought it to my buddy who said he was really good with computers, (he said he used to work on them in the past so I trusted him) however while he was working on my computer I forgot to notice that he was pulling and plugging different cords in while the PSU was still plugged in... even I know that, that is a no-no, unfortunately I caught it too late. There ended up being sparks near the GPU and CPU... however, my computer works.

In BIOS it seems that everything is a-ok. My GPU turns on but isn't being detected by the motherboard in the PCIe slots. Yes, I have the internal video card turned off and it's set to detect the PCIe slots but it isn't detecting ANYTHING. My GPU gets power and the fans even spin for about 10 seconds after boot, however I can't even find the GPU in the device manager to even try and install drivers. I feel like I've exhausted every YouTube video and forum on here to try and remedy the issue. The only thing I haven't tried is testing the parts in a different computer.

I almost forget to mention the system specs so here they are:
CPU: i7 6700k
GPU: GTX1070 Super Clocked
RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 2x8GB
Motherboard: ASUS Z170-A
PSU: EVGA 1000 watt GQ

I saved up for a long time for this computer... I really would like this sucker to work! Thank you to anyone in advance that is willing to give their friendly advice!

EDIT: Almost forgot to mention that I do get red lights near the RAM, GPU, and CPU when I start my computer but then a single short beep happens then they all clear. Hope that helps.
6 answers Last reply
More about motherboard detecting gpu pcie slots
  1. GOLDieeLOCKS said:
    So I'll admit that I'm new to PC building however I follow instructions pretty well. I'm having issues with my first build. It's been rocky from start to now.

    My first issue was that my computer wasn't turning on.
    I brought it to my buddy who said he was really good with computers, (he said he used to work on them in the past so I trusted him) however while he was working on my computer I forgot to notice that he was pulling and plugging different cords in while the PSU was still plugged in... even I know that, that is a no-no, unfortunately I caught it too late. There ended up being sparks near the GPU and CPU... however, my computer works.

    In BIOS it seems that everything is a-ok. My GPU turns on but isn't being detected by the motherboard in the PCIe slots. Yes, I have the internal video card turned off and it's set to detect the PCIe slots but it isn't detecting ANYTHING. My GPU gets power and the fans even spin for about 10 seconds after boot, however I can't even find the GPU in the device manager to even try and install drivers. I feel like I've exhausted every YouTube video and forum on here to try and remedy the issue. The only thing I haven't tried is testing the parts in a different computer.

    I almost forget to mention the system specs so here they are:
    CPU: i7 6700k
    GPU: GTX1070 Super Clocked
    RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 2x8GB
    Motherboard: ASUS Z170-A
    PSU: EVGA 1000 watt GQ

    I saved up for a long time for this computer... I really would like this sucker to work! Thank you to anyone in advance that is willing to give their friendly advice!


    pcie cables plugged into the card and proper slots on power supply if its modular?


    monitor plugged into the card?


    card plugged into the top most pcie slot?
  2. GOLDieeLOCKS said:
    however I can't even find the GPU in the device manager to even try and install drivers.
    Dis you install Intel inf chipset drivers? Start with that.
    https://www.asus.com/Motherboards/Z170-A/HelpDesk_Download/
  3. maxalge said:
    GOLDieeLOCKS said:
    So I'll admit that I'm new to PC building however I follow instructions pretty well. I'm having issues with my first build. It's been rocky from start to now.

    My first issue was that my computer wasn't turning on.
    I brought it to my buddy who said he was really good with computers, (he said he used to work on them in the past so I trusted him) however while he was working on my computer I forgot to notice that he was pulling and plugging different cords in while the PSU was still plugged in... even I know that, that is a no-no, unfortunately I caught it too late. There ended up being sparks near the GPU and CPU... however, my computer works.

    In BIOS it seems that everything is a-ok. My GPU turns on but isn't being detected by the motherboard in the PCIe slots. Yes, I have the internal video card turned off and it's set to detect the PCIe slots but it isn't detecting ANYTHING. My GPU gets power and the fans even spin for about 10 seconds after boot, however I can't even find the GPU in the device manager to even try and install drivers. I feel like I've exhausted every YouTube video and forum on here to try and remedy the issue. The only thing I haven't tried is testing the parts in a different computer.

    I almost forget to mention the system specs so here they are:
    CPU: i7 6700k
    GPU: GTX1070 Super Clocked
    RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 2x8GB
    Motherboard: ASUS Z170-A
    PSU: EVGA 1000 watt GQ

    I saved up for a long time for this computer... I really would like this sucker to work! Thank you to anyone in advance that is willing to give their friendly advice!


    pcie cables plugged into the card and proper slots on power supply if its modular?


    monitor plugged into the card?


    card plugged into the top most pcie slot?


    Oops I didn't mean to down-vote your suggestion.The PCIe cables are plugged into VGA1 and then lead into my GPU. the GPU is in the top PCIe slot, seated firmly. BIOS still can't detect anything in that slot... already tried the other slots too.

    When I plug the monitor into the GPU it just says, "no signal" and it goes into power saving mode
  4. SkyNetRising said:
    GOLDieeLOCKS said:
    however I can't even find the GPU in the device manager to even try and install drivers.
    Dis you install Intel inf chipset drivers? Start with that.
    https://www.asus.com/Motherboards/Z170-A/HelpDesk_Download/



    Yes. I have all the latest drivers for my motherboard and still no detection of the GPU...
  5. Have you tried other PCIe slots?
  6. PC-4LIFE said:
    Have you tried other PCIe slots?


    Yes. It won't detect in any of the slots... I'm starting to think I have a faulty Motherboard
Ask a new question

Read More

GPUs Computers GPU Fan Motherboards New Build