Solved

Which budget CPU and motherboard should i buy for gaming ?

Hi everyone !

I want to upgrade my CPU, as mine is pretty old (7-8 years), and i also need to buy a new motherboard to go with it to play more demanding games (mostly simulation/sports like FIFA 15-17, NBA 2K and F1 2016) Since i've never upgraded my CPU i don't know a lot about it.. I was thinking of buying one of those three :

Intel G3258 3.2 GHz 2 Cores
AMD Athlon X4 860K 4-cores 3.4 GHz
AMD FX-6300 Black Edition 6-core 3.5 GHz (Looks like the best of the bunch but a bit more expensive)

Which one is the best and are there any other CPU's who may be better at a cheaper/same price ? Also, which motherboard would be the best ? I'm looking for a 50-60 euros one.

Here's my current rig :

Motherboard : Gigabyte GA-MA785GT-UD3H

CPU : AMD Phenom II X4 955 3.20 GHz

GPU : Gigabyte Geforce GTX 1050 2GB

RAM : 6 GB DDR3 (I also have 2 Corsair Dominator ones who are 8gb)

Windows 10 Pro 64-Bit

Thanks in advance !
10 answers Last reply Best Answer
More about budget cpu motherboard buy gaming
  1. Best answer
    What is the budget for a new CPU + Mobo?

    None of the CPU's listed are huge steps up from the 955 realistically - you can push a decent OC from the 955.

    The 'best' 'budget' upgrade would probably be a Skylake i3 + H110 board:
    PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

    CPU: Intel Core i3-6100 3.7GHz Dual-Core Processor (€122.84 @ Mindfactory)
    Motherboard: ASRock H110M-HDS Micro ATX LGA1151 Motherboard (€53.99 @ Amazon Deutschland)
    Memory: Crucial 8GB (1 x 8GB) DDR4-2133 Memory (€49.89 @ Amazon Deutschland)
    Total: €226.72
    Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
    Generated by PCPartPicker 2017-01-09 19:29 CET+0100
  2. Barty1884 said:
    What is the budget for a new CPU + Mobo?

    None of the CPU's listed are huge steps up from the 955 realistically - you can push a decent OC from the 955.

    The 'best' 'budget' upgrade would probably be a Skylake i3 + H110 board:
    PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

    CPU: Intel Core i3-6100 3.7GHz Dual-Core Processor (€122.84 @ Mindfactory)
    Motherboard: ASRock H110M-HDS Micro ATX LGA1151 Motherboard (€53.99 @ Amazon Deutschland)
    Memory: Crucial 8GB (1 x 8GB) DDR4-2133 Memory (€49.89 @ Amazon Deutschland)
    Total: €226.72
    Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
    Generated by PCPartPicker 2017-01-09 19:29 CET+0100


    I've been getting huge performance problems with the Phenom II, even on games i should be running at full speeds.. Some soundcard problems too, but that's not CPU-related (at least i don't think so) Wouldn't changing for one of those get rid of them ? As for my budget it would be under 170-180 but i can push to 230 if it is really necessary and if it really shows better performances..
  3. It really depends on the title(s).

    While the 955 is dated, it's still a reasonable chip when overclocked.

    The i3 would be the minimum I'd recommend, upgrading to the Dual G3258 lacking HT would be a waste for new(er) titles and neither the 860K or FX provide any form of upgrade path.
  4. Barty1884 said:
    It really depends on the title(s).

    While the 955 is dated, it's still a reasonable chip when overclocked.

    The i3 would be the minimum I'd recommend, upgrading to the Dual G3258 lacking HT would be a waste for new(er) titles and neither the 860K or FX provide any form of upgrade path.


    Will i get noticeable performance improvements with the i3 and new RAM ? Will i be able to run newer games too ? I would gladly pay for more than my budget if that's the case
  5. With an i3-6100 + GTX 1050, I can't think of a single title you couldn't play.

    While some games don't utilize hyper-threading, leaving the i3 as 'only' a dual core, the vast majority do.

    I'd look to either the i3-6100 or i5-6500, but the i5 is another 95EUR.
  6. There's no such thing as "utilizing hyperthreading". The i3 has 4 logical processors as seen by software.

    I agree though, the i3 6100 is the least expensive reasonable upgrade over what you have.
  7. Not by all software/engines, that's all I was saying.

    Most (especially in 2017) titles will utilize the logical cores (hyper threading). The odd game however will only detect/use 'physical cores'.
  8. That's just flat out wrong, I'm sorry. Where did you read that?

    Software will always see 4 processors with an i3, and needs special awareness that not all of those processors are the same. By default, it's a quad and they're all utilized.
  9. Barty1884 said:
    With an i3-6100 + GTX 1050, I can't think of a single title you couldn't play.

    While some games don't utilize hyper-threading, leaving the i3 as 'only' a dual core, the vast majority do.

    I'd look to either the i3-6100 or i5-6500, but the i5 is another 95EUR.


    Allright, thanks for your answer. I will go for the i3 then :)
  10. Poorly worded on my part Ecky. Engines like Frostbite have, in the past suffered in performance on CPUs including HT. Disabling (and running on a quad or dual) smoothed out performance.

    Now I guess that's not strictly down to 'not utilizing' HT, but more to do with the HT 'logical' cores not behaving exactly like the engine expecting the core to.

    The HT element still does the pre-work, but requires the 'true' cores to complete any given function. Engines (historically) expected the logical quad to operate as a 'true' quad and operate somewhat independent. Resulted in stuttering while everything 'caught up'.

    Again, not much of an issue in 2017 though.
Ask a new question

Read More

Gaming CPUs Motherboards