Solved

Can I put an Old Heatsink from a dell inspirion 530 on a i7-4790k cpu?

My CPU has been overheating lately and I just want to see if my current cpu heatsink is the problem and the only other heatsink i own is in the dell inpirion 530. Will it hurt my i7 or just not work? Yes ive already changed the thermal paste twice. Any help or advice would be great thanks.
14 answers Last reply Best Answer
More about put heatsink dell inspirion 530 4790k cpu
  1. Do not use a stock heatsink with that CPU. It is not designed for such high thermal output. Plus, we don't know if it would mount to the board properly or not.

    What heatsink are you currently using for your i7 4790K?
  2. weberdarren97 said:
    Do not use a stock heatsink with that CPU. It is not designed for such high thermal output. Plus, we don't know if it would mount to the board properly or not.

    What heatsink are you currently using for your i7 4790K?


    The current heatsink on the i7 is a Asetek Frostbyte 120 cooler its 2 years old now. One of the black tubes keeps getting super hot which led me to check the temps which have gotten worse since changing the thermal paste. So my next step was going to buy a new cooler, im not 100% convinced yet thats what needs to be done, i really dont know what to do. The actual part that covers the cpu is not hot like the tube is which is weird and neither is the radiator but the cpu temps on idle were almost in the 90s c. I freaked out and shut it down because its been shutting its self down with a message "CPU over Tempature" Im not a hardcore gamer. I play roblox and watch youtube mostly. :??:
  3. was the dell inpirion 530 running 4790k? if not no.
  4. You should invest in a decent cooler for your 4790K.
  5. rgd1101 said:
    was the dell inpirion 530 running 4790k? if not no.


    Lol no my Origin built Gaming PC is running the 4790k. The dell has a intel quad something or another. its from like 2006 or 07
  6. MrN1ce9uy said:
    You should invest in a decent cooler for your 4790K.


    What would you suggest on a budget? My motherboard is Asus z97 Gryphon
  7. negligentgamer said:


    It'll handle the heat output, but I don't recommend it. It's loud and its mounting system is just a nightmare... Actually it's a series of reoccurring headaches. Either way, it's not worth your money anymore. The 212X is quieter and eliminates the headaches that come from trying to mount the 212 EVO.

    As for 212X vs Cryorig H7, the H7 wins but it's not always in stock. People are buying so many of it that it keeps going out of stock at major online stores.
  8. I bought the CRYORIG H7 for my 4790K and I love it. It keeps it nice and cool even at 4.6GHz. Mounting was easy too. Nice clean look. It's not that loud, but has a low hum to it at high rpm. Fit nicely in my mini-ATX tower and microATX mobo. Tight fit, but it did fit.

    The Hyper 212X looks pretty good, but it shows to be louder than the H7. The H7 comes with mounting brackets for a second fan also. Not sure if two CPU fans would fit in the Dell Inspiron 530's mini-tower case unless you removed the exhaust fan.
  9. Best answer
    MrN1ce9uy said:
    I bought the CRYORIG H7 for my 4790K and I love it. It keeps it nice and cool even at 4.6GHz. Mounting was easy too. Nice clean look. It's not that loud, but has a low hum to it at high rpm. Fit nicely in my mini-ATX tower and microATX mobo. Tight fit, but it did fit.

    The Hyper 212X looks pretty good, but it shows to be louder than the H7. The H7 comes with mounting brackets for a second fan also. Not sure if two CPU fans would fit in the Dell Inspiron 530's mini-tower case unless you removed the exhaust fan.


    He's not trying to put it in the Dell. That was going to be his donor tower for the stock cooler until we shot that idea down. Good job bringing up all possible issues though, it helps OP know what he's getting into.

    The reason I brought up the 212X is the stocking issue with the H7. If the H7 goes out of stock again, OP would need a back-up plan.
  10. Thank you guys so much for your help. I will being getting the 212X or Cryorig H7 whichever is in stock ;) Then I will let you know how it turns out.
  11. negligentgamer said:
    Thank you guys so much for your help. I will being getting the 212X or Cryorig H7 whichever is in stock ;) Then I will let you know how it turns out.


    Try for the H7 first. It's a better value cooler.
  12. weberdarren97 said:
    negligentgamer said:
    Thank you guys so much for your help. I will being getting the 212X or Cryorig H7 whichever is in stock ;) Then I will let you know how it turns out.


    Try for the H7 first. It's a better value cooler.



    *Update* I replaced the cooler with corsair h60 hydroseries. Are my temp Normal now or still high? Ive had my Pc up an running for a couple hours now under light load.. just web browsing and or on Idle just to watch the temps fluctuate. Knock on wood my Pc hasnt shut down yet with that god aweful cpu over temp. warning.


Ask a new question

Read More

Heatsinks Intel i7 CPUs Dell