Solved

PCI 3.0 Graphics Card Will Work With PCI 2.0 Motherboard?

Hi,

I have Gigabyte G41M Combo Rev 2.0 Motherboard which has PCI 2.0. I am Planning to buy sapphire rx 470 4gb graphics card which is PCI 3.0.

Will it work with my PCI 2.0 Motherboard??

Thanks
8 answers Last reply Best Answer
More about pci graphics card work pci motherboard
  1. Yes it will work however you'll lose some performance as PCIe2 isn't as fast as PCIe3
  2. I am not 100% sure, but I tought your CPU, MOBO and GPU has to support gen3... Am I wrong?
  3. Isokolon said:
    Yes it will work however you'll lose some performance as PCIe2 isn't as fast as PCIe3



    are you sure. if it didn't work i will lose 250$ :( ???

    Thanks
  4. yourilevoye said:
    I am not 100% sure, but I tought your CPU, MOBO and GPU has to support gen3... Am I wrong?


    i have core 2 duo e8500 and 8GB DDR3 Ram and Gigabyte G41M Mobo. Will it work with this config??
  5. joshuva90 said:
    yourilevoye said:
    I am not 100% sure, but I tought your CPU, MOBO and GPU has to support gen3... Am I wrong?


    i have core 2 duo e8500 and 8GB DDR3 Ram and Gigabyte G41M Mobo. Will it work with this config??


    If you already have it it's simple. Just go into your BIOS and check the PCI configurate and stuff. You will see if there is an option for gen1, 2, 3 or auto.
  6. yourilevoye said:
    joshuva90 said:
    yourilevoye said:
    I am not 100% sure, but I tought your CPU, MOBO and GPU has to support gen3... Am I wrong?


    i have core 2 duo e8500 and 8GB DDR3 Ram and Gigabyte G41M Mobo. Will it work with this config??


    If you already have it it's simple. Just go into your BIOS and check the PCI configurate and stuff. You will see if there is an option for gen1, 2, 3 or auto.


    What generation do i need to check? my mobo has pci 2.0
  7. joshuva90 said:
    yourilevoye said:
    joshuva90 said:
    yourilevoye said:
    I am not 100% sure, but I tought your CPU, MOBO and GPU has to support gen3... Am I wrong?


    i have core 2 duo e8500 and 8GB DDR3 Ram and Gigabyte G41M Mobo. Will it work with this config??


    If you already have it it's simple. Just go into your BIOS and check the PCI configurate and stuff. You will see if there is an option for gen1, 2, 3 or auto.


    What generation do i need to check? my mobo has pci 2.0


    As far as I know you can check what gen it supports in the BIOS. As it supports only gen2 you can only choose gen1 or gen2. If it supports gen3 you can choose gen1, gen2 and gen3.
  8. Best answer
    PCIe 3.0 is downwards compatible to 2.0 & 1.0
    Just like USB.

    You can google it and get a more credible source.
    Only limitation is that it will only run with PCIe 2.0 speed.

    There can't be an option for PCIe 3.0 on your board since this is not supported by it.
    Same as USB speed - you can check for 2.0 or 1.0 but if it doesn't have an USB3 feature your BIOS won't show USB3.
Ask a new question

Read More

PCI Graphics Cards Motherboards Gigabyte Systems