HELP - New graphics card GTX1070 severely underperforming!

Hello everyone and thanks for your time in reading/helping.

SKIP: If you cannot be bothered to read the bulk of text - Bought a GTX1070, performance is very low when combined with an i7 3770 - Specs can be provided!

I am a noob to this forum but not new to gaming or computers (in generalish terms). I recently bought a GTX 1070 and installed it myself today, and since install and up to time of writing, I believe this card has been severely underperforming for a Pascal-based £400 top of the range card. A bit of background information: The card I replaced this one with was a GTX960 2gb which I had for around a year, and this had good performance for what I bought it for, just couldn't run top settings of course. I have a Core i7 3770S, so I believe my processor isn't the problem here (or at least that is what I think; could be wrong) so I decided getting a GTX1070 would fix my low fps and enable a perfect gaming experience. Much to my disappointment (and why I am writing this to those who are interested in helping) I have had a very bad first day experience with this card, and am currently gutted as it feels like I have thrown £400 into a volcano. I will happily provide my full computer specs and any other computer-related details I'm just not sure how.

Thanks a bunch to all concerned!
13 answers Last reply
More about graphics card gtx1070 severely underperforming
  1. Uninstall all drivers using ddu, then Re install. Cpu is fine
  2. burgessanthony said:
    Uninstall all drivers using ddu, then Re install. Cpu is fine

    Hi, I did this before I installed the card, ran DDU and even done safe reboot, then wiped all drivers and plugged in the card, installed latest Nvidia driver then the problems occcured. Yesterday I even tried it again (safe boot) then tried the latest driver install again and same problems
  3. I saw your post as I was randomly persuing this site. I'm not an accomplished computer builder, but in addition to what burgessanthony said make sure your card is seated into the motherboard securely. Make sure your power supply can handle it happily... (enough wattage is the thing). And now, back to the people that actually know what they are talking about.....
  4. First, you haven't given any information on the games you are having issues with, the settings used, or your resolution. Depending on the games you play, your GPU could be severely bottlenecked.

    Running 3dmark Time Spy demo (it's free), and posting a link to the results would go a long way to knowing if the system is performing as it should, then we can go look at game specific problems, or system problems, depending on your results. Make sure to "compare results online" and post that link to us.
  5. bystander said:
    First, you haven't given any information on the games you are having issues with, the settings used, or your resolution. Depending on the games you play, your GPU could be severely bottlenecked.

    Running 3dmark Time Spy demo (it's free), and posting a link to the results would go a long way to knowing if the system is performing as it should, then we can go look at game specific problems, or system problems, depending on your results. Make sure to "compare results online" and post that link to us.


    Hi,

    The games I have issues with are common ones for most but should really be performing better on my PC (Grand Theft Auto V, Arma 3, and one that I didn't expect Hitman 2016). On GTA V the fps can dip to around 40 in some areas and in multiplayer which can be annoying and very noticeable, and this isn't on complete max, this is with 2x AA, no ambient occlusion and 1920x1080 res. On Arma 3, the fps can fluctuate quite a large amount, and I know maintaining around 30fps is good for arma 3 but my game has freezes sometimes (could be due to loading) or very low fps dips of around 12. On Hitman 2016, I have an issue where on the first level Paris, whenever I look in certain directions or am in one location, my fps dips to around 40 but then goes to solid 60 elsewhere, which is very noticeable and distracting. I have TimeSpy installed and will run it soon and post an update!

    Many thanks for the help.
  6. GTA V will have dips into the 40's on your CPU. It dips into the 50's on an i7 6700. That's normal.
    Arma 3 is a mess, but dips to 12 probably isn't normal from what I understand. This type of dip is usually a CPU issue.
    You should try Hitman in DX11, rather than DX12. DX12 has some newness issues.
  7. bystander said:
    GTA V will have dips into the 40's on your CPU. It dips into the 50's on an i7 6700. That's normal.
    Arma 3 is a mess, but dips to 12 probably isn't normal from what I understand. This type of dip is usually a CPU issue.
    You should try Hitman in DX11, rather than DX12. DX12 has some newness issues.


    http://www.3dmark.com/3dm/17756556?

    Not sure if this link works properly for others, but my overall score was 5,063, which is decent but my CPU score was 2,845.
    If we compare this to the GPU score which was 5,871 I'm pretty sure this dragged it down (not sure if this cpu score is normal tbh). To answer your Hitman question, DX11 does the same thing unfortunately :/
  8. Eliot111 said:
    bystander said:
    GTA V will have dips into the 40's on your CPU. It dips into the 50's on an i7 6700. That's normal.
    Arma 3 is a mess, but dips to 12 probably isn't normal from what I understand. This type of dip is usually a CPU issue.
    You should try Hitman in DX11, rather than DX12. DX12 has some newness issues.


    http://www.3dmark.com/3dm/17756556?

    Not sure if this link works properly for others, but my overall score was 5,063, which is decent but my CPU score was 2,845.
    If we compare this to the GPU score which was 5,871 I'm pretty sure this dragged it down (not sure if this cpu score is normal tbh). To answer your Hitman question, DX11 does the same thing unfortunately :/



    The link works, and it does show you within the range that most people with similar systems get. I can say the GPU score is about 100 lower than mine, but depending on the version of GTX 1070, that is probably normal.

    You never did answer the question of your resolution/display.
  9. bystander said:
    Eliot111 said:
    bystander said:
    GTA V will have dips into the 40's on your CPU. It dips into the 50's on an i7 6700. That's normal.
    Arma 3 is a mess, but dips to 12 probably isn't normal from what I understand. This type of dip is usually a CPU issue.
    You should try Hitman in DX11, rather than DX12. DX12 has some newness issues.


    http://www.3dmark.com/3dm/17756556?

    Not sure if this link works properly for others, but my overall score was 5,063, which is decent but my CPU score was 2,845.
    If we compare this to the GPU score which was 5,871 I'm pretty sure this dragged it down (not sure if this cpu score is normal tbh). To answer your Hitman question, DX11 does the same thing unfortunately :/



    The link works, and it does show you within the range that most people with similar systems get. I can say the GPU score is about 100 lower than mine, but depending on the version of GTX 1070, that is probably normal.

    You never did answer the question of your resolution/display.


    Ah apologies,

    My monitor is an ASUS VS247, and I run all my games at 1920x1080 resolution, which I've heard is meant to be overkill for a GTX1070. Could it be possible that having maximum processor state set to 99% is causing the dips in games like hitman? I'm thinking of investing in water cooling so that I can change all the power saving settings of this processor and possibly overclock it, which despite being and S, have heard it's possible to do so. Plus very noisy fan, who needs that :o
  10. I know GTA V and Arma 3 are both very heavily CPU bound games (Arma 3 more so), so in those cases at least, an OC or faster CPU will help, but you may just have to learn to deal with those dips, as an OC is only going to help so much.
  11. bystander said:
    I know GTA V and Arma 3 are both very heavily CPU bound games (Arma 3 more so), so in those cases at least, an OC or faster CPU will help, but you may just have to learn to deal with those dips, as an OC is only going to help so much.


    Very true, I don't mind having some frame drops, but sometimes when it dips on arma 3, it has affected the ability to play, for example if I'm in a firefight with another player and my frames drop very low, it becomes extremely difficult to shoot, so I wanna do all I can to alleviate this issue. Also, I'm a big Hitman fan and the part I'm on at Paris really frustrates me when the fps dips to 40s makes me not wanna play :(
  12. Check this review of Hitman out. It'll explain clearly that you aren't alone, and also give you an idea of what settings to use: http://www.hardocp.com/article/2016/04/17/hitman_2016_performance_video_card_review/7

    Quote:
    Remember, the key fact we have currently experienced is that DX12 is unstable, causing freezing in-game on all video cards. This means, at its core, it is broken and unusable. However, if it were usable and not freezing on us we did experience better performance on the AMD Radeon R9 390X and AMD Radeon R9 390 using it for the short amount of time we could.

    This therefore is the first time that DX12 has provided a real-world gameplay experience advantage over DX11. If it were working then the table below shows what the gameplay advantage would be on those two video cards compared to DX11 gameplay.
  13. bystander said:
    Check this review of Hitman out. It'll explain clearly that you aren't alone, and also give you an idea of what settings to use: http://www.hardocp.com/article/2016/04/17/hitman_2016_performance_video_card_review/7

    Quote:
    Remember, the key fact we have currently experienced is that DX12 is unstable, causing freezing in-game on all video cards. This means, at its core, it is broken and unusable. However, if it were usable and not freezing on us we did experience better performance on the AMD Radeon R9 390X and AMD Radeon R9 390 using it for the short amount of time we could.

    This therefore is the first time that DX12 has provided a real-world gameplay experience advantage over DX11. If it were working then the table below shows what the gameplay advantage would be on those two video cards compared to DX11 gameplay.



    Interesting, I am going to test my graphics settings to see if it may be a processor issue as oppose to a graphics card issue, as most of these graphics cards seem to maintain high fps while playing at 1440p, whilst I'm only playing at 1080p and still experiencing a lot of lag :(
Ask a new question

Read More

Gaming Intel i7 Gaming PCs Geforce Nvidia Gtx Graphics Cards