Solved

Needing some help with probably CPU/Motherboard

Hello everyone and I hope you all had a nice christmas.

Currently I am back at home and wanted to see if my old desktop-pc is still able to properly work. I wiped everything and installed a clean version of Windows 7. Additionally I installed/updated all the drivers.

This is my current setup. Hope it´s complete. Copied it straight out of DxDiag.

------------------
System Information
------------------
Time of this report: 12/28/2016, 16:58:59
Machine name: DR-PC
Operating System: Windows 7 Professional 64-bit (6.1, Build 7601) Service Pack 1 (7601.win7sp1_ldr.161011-0600)
Language: German (Regional Setting: German)
System Manufacturer: Acer
System Model: Aspire M3201
BIOS: Default System BIOS
Processor: AMD Phenom(tm) 9650 Quad-Core Processor (4 CPUs), ~2.3GHz
Memory: 8192MB RAM
Available OS Memory: 7936MB RAM
Page File: 4109MB used, 11758MB available
Windows Dir: C:\Windows
DirectX Version: DirectX 11
DX Setup Parameters: Not found
User DPI Setting: Using System DPI
System DPI Setting: 96 DPI (100 percent)
DWM DPI Scaling: Disabled
DxDiag Version: 6.01.7601.17514 32bit Unicode

------------
DxDiag Notes
------------
Display Tab 1: No problems found.
Sound Tab 1: No problems found.
Sound Tab 2: No problems found.
Input Tab: No problems found.

--------------------
DirectX Debug Levels
--------------------
Direct3D: 0/4 (retail)
DirectDraw: 0/4 (retail)
DirectInput: 0/5 (retail)
DirectMusic: 0/5 (retail)
DirectPlay: 0/9 (retail)
DirectSound: 0/5 (retail)
DirectShow: 0/6 (retail)

---------------
Display Devices
---------------
Card name: AMD Radeon HD 7800 Series
Manufacturer: Advanced Micro Devices, Inc.
Chip type: AMD Radeon Graphics Processor (0x6818)
DAC type: Internal DAC(400MHz)
Device Key: Enum\PCI\VEN_1002&DEV_6818&SUBSYS_27401462&REV_00
Display Memory: 4095 MB
Dedicated Memory: 2026 MB
Shared Memory: 2069 MB
Current Mode: 1280 x 720 (32 bit) (59Hz)
Monitor Name: PnP-Monitor (Standard)
Monitor Model: CVTE TV
Monitor Id: CVT1080
Native Mode: 1920 x 1080(p) (50.000Hz)
Output Type: HDMI
Driver Name: aticfx64.dll,aticfx64.dll,aticfx64.dll,aticfx32,aticfx32,aticfx32,atiumd64.dll,atidxx64.dll,atidxx64.dll,atiumdag,atidxx32,atidxx32,atiumdva,atiumd6a.cap,atitmm64.dll
Driver File Version: 21.19.0407.0000 (English)
Driver Version: 21.19.407.0
DDI Version: 11
Driver Model: WDDM 1.1
Driver Attributes: Final Retail
Driver Date/Size: 12/19/2016 21:26:38, 1564728 bytes
WHQL Logo'd: n/a
WHQL Date Stamp: n/a
Device Identifier: {D7B71EE2-2B58-11CF-D277-D706BCC2D835}
Vendor ID: 0x1002
Device ID: 0x6818
SubSys ID: 0x27401462
Revision ID: 0x0000
Driver Strong Name: oem5.inf:ATI.Mfg.NTamd64.6.1:ati2mtag_R575B:21.19.407.0:pci\ven_1002&dev_6818
Rank Of Driver: 00E62001

----------------

I personally dont need to play games on maxed out settings. Some decent, average setups are enough for me. Currently I am playing the game Overwatch from time to time. On my Laptop I am able to play the game on lowest settings at 60+ fps which is fine because it´s just a regular Laptop.

Now I am well aware that the Hardware in my desktop-pc is far from up to date but I am not able to play Overwatch at 60+ fps. I am jumping around - in heated situations - between 20 and 50 fps. Depending on the situation. In fact it is always in that fps-area no matter what graphical setting i activate. Even when I put the graphical settings on maximum it still is at that above mentioned intervall. So that made me think that it´s probably not my GPU and maybe my CPU/Motherboard/whatever.

Just right now I ran the programm HWMonitor to see the values of my hardware during the game. If I am able to attach a picture I will show a screenshot. Otherwise it showed that all 4 processors were at 100% which probably is the reason why I am not getting the 60 fps+.

This probably means that I should get a new processor and with what I read so far a new motherboard as well. Now I am not a hardware-guy which is why I am hoping to get some advice to what processor and motherboard I should get. I hope I explained my problem in its fullest and hope that somebody could push me in the right direction :)
5 answers Last reply Best Answer
More about needing cpu motherboard
  1. Your build is pretty powerful besides that CPU, its the only thing holding you back as far as gaming goes. Id like to recommend some things to you, but i just need to know what your price range would be. Also if you wanted to stick with AMD or if you wouldn't mind intel which again probably depends on your price range. Thanks.
  2. Zethran said:
    Your build is pretty powerful besides that CPU, its the only thing holding you back as far as gaming goes. Id like to recommend some things to you, but i just need to know what your price range would be. Also if you wanted to stick with AMD or if you wouldn't mind intel which again probably depends on your price range. Thanks.


    Hey there and thanks in advance for answering so fast and offering advice :)
    That´s really nice to hear! Haven´t booted this up since I started studying in mid 2013.

    I am not sure in which price-ranges CPUs and such are. But I´d say I´m fine with something from 150-300,-€/$ (not sure which currency-symbol to use here). Of course I wouldn´t mind 50,-€ more if that would put the performance into another league. Plus I don´t care if it´s from AMD or Intel.
  3. Best answer
    RushDistance said:
    Zethran said:
    Your build is pretty powerful besides that CPU, its the only thing holding you back as far as gaming goes. Id like to recommend some things to you, but i just need to know what your price range would be. Also if you wanted to stick with AMD or if you wouldn't mind intel which again probably depends on your price range. Thanks.


    Hey there and thanks in advance for answering so fast and offering advice :)
    That´s really nice to hear! Haven´t booted this up since I started studying in mid 2013.

    I am not sure in which price-ranges CPUs and such are. But I´d say I´m fine with something from 150-300,-€/$ (not sure which currency-symbol to use here). Of course I wouldn´t mind 50,-€ more if that would put the performance into another league. Plus I don´t care if it´s from AMD or Intel.


    I personally prefer intel but they are definitely more pricey as far as things go than amd. If you dont mind spending the money i suggest this as a good mid level processor that will do pretty much any job you need https://pcpartpicker.com/product/DNrG3C/intel-cpu-bx80646i54670k

    As for a motherboard i use this one myself and have enjoyed it quite a bit, but you could go cheaper about $30 or so cheaper if you dont feel like spending as much on one
    https://pcpartpicker.com/product/2fYXsY/msi-motherboard-z97gaming5

    now if you wanted to stick with amd this would be the cheaper equivalent of the above cpu, amd usually are just as good for gaming and cheaper so its all up to what you want.
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819113284&cm_re=amd_proccesor-_-19-113-284-_-Product

    This is the motherboard i would suggest to go with the amd, its actually on sale for about $30 off right now if you are going to buy soon :D
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813131872

    As far as choosing intel or amd its mostly a price decision, both provide closely reliable performance with intel usually being on the better side, choosing how much power you actually need though is up to you.
    heres a comparison of the two cpus to give you an idea of what you could get out of both of them.
    http://cpuboss.com/cpus/Intel-Core-i5-4670K-vs-AMD-FX-8350
    Hope i could help and give you an idea of what to look for.
  4. Zethran said:
    RushDistance said:
    Zethran said:
    Your build is pretty powerful besides that CPU, its the only thing holding you back as far as gaming goes. Id like to recommend some things to you, but i just need to know what your price range would be. Also if you wanted to stick with AMD or if you wouldn't mind intel which again probably depends on your price range. Thanks.


    Hey there and thanks in advance for answering so fast and offering advice :)
    That´s really nice to hear! Haven´t booted this up since I started studying in mid 2013.

    I am not sure in which price-ranges CPUs and such are. But I´d say I´m fine with something from 150-300,-€/$ (not sure which currency-symbol to use here). Of course I wouldn´t mind 50,-€ more if that would put the performance into another league. Plus I don´t care if it´s from AMD or Intel.


    I personally prefer intel but they are definitely more pricey as far as things go than amd. If you dont mind spending the money i suggest this as a good mid level processor that will do pretty much any job you need https://pcpartpicker.com/product/DNrG3C/intel-cpu-bx80646i54670k

    As for a motherboard i use this one myself and have enjoyed it quite a bit, but you could go cheaper about $30 or so cheaper if you dont feel like spending as much on one
    https://pcpartpicker.com/product/2fYXsY/msi-motherboard-z97gaming5

    now if you wanted to stick with amd this would be the cheaper equivalent of the above cpu, amd usually are just as good for gaming and cheaper so its all up to what you want.
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819113284&cm_re=amd_proccesor-_-19-113-284-_-Product

    This is the motherboard i would suggest to go with the amd, its actually on sale for about $30 off right now if you are going to buy soon :D
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813131872

    As far as choosing intel or amd its mostly a price decision, both provide closely reliable performance with intel usually being on the better side, choosing how much power you actually need though is up to you.
    heres a comparison of the two cpus to give you an idea of what you could get out of both of them.
    http://cpuboss.com/cpus/Intel-Core-i5-4670K-vs-AMD-FX-8350
    Hope i could help and give you an idea of what to look for.



    Thanks a lot for the suggestions :) Gonna have a look at these. Maybe I can get them from somewhere closer because I dont know how fast shipping from USA to Germany is. [EDIT] They´re not shipping to Germany :( [/EDIT]Plus I hope I´ll be able to properly install the hardware in my computer :D I´ve installed once the GPU and felt like a king afterwards but never did much more hardware-related.

    When I get these components and installed them I am going to write an update-post in this thread again :)

    So long I wish you a good start in the new year.
  5. RushDistance said:

    Thanks a lot for the suggestions :) Gonna have a look at these. Maybe I can get them from somewhere closer because I dont know how fast shipping from USA to Germany is. [EDIT] They´re not shipping to Germany :( [/EDIT]Plus I hope I´ll be able to properly install the hardware in my computer :D I´ve installed once the GPU and felt like a king afterwards but never did much more hardware-related.

    When I get these components and installed them I am going to write an update-post in this thread again :)

    So long I wish you a good start in the new year.


    Ah sorry I didnt realize you were in Europe, you should be able to find the components hopefully on sites that ship nearer to where you live. Installing motherboards are not to difficult. The CPU is just something you have to read instructions for and walk through carefully and it will be done easily. Just take your time and im sure it will work out, good luck.
Ask a new question

Read More

CPUs Motherboards