Solved Closed

Getting 100% Disk Usage from System

I've had problems lately where I have 100% disk usage. My disc is: ST500DM0 02-18D142 SATA Disk Device. On Windows 10 64bit. I've tried a lot of solutions such as disabling superfetch, windows search, and all that. But today, System was taking up 100%, at 1MB/s+ (which to me seems low for 100%). Anyway, I ran resource monitor to see what specifically is happening. When looking at the disk activity in system, about 800,000 B/sec of the current 830,000 B/sec is being use by:

C:$Recycle.Bin\S-1-5-21-1209873237-870563696-2226303087-1000\$RFP8F9D.etl

I tried to find that folder but I cannot. The recycle bin is completely empty right now. What is this, and how can I make it stop, if at all? Is it possible there is an issue with my disk? I don't really know much about this sort of thing, but ~1.2MB/s doesn't seem like a lot to be pushing 100% usage. I have automatic paging on, which is 1280mb and I have 8gb of RAM. It recommends 1913mb but I don't want to mess with it.

Edit: I thought I had searched enough to not find the answer before posting this, but clearly I did not. I searched google for a good hour, maybe my wording was not good enough. Or I should have just came here and looked before I posted! Anyway, after posting this there was related questions, and I found my answer. By doing the permanent fix posted by Colif in the tutorials, the issue seems to have stopped. I do still find it weird the recycle bin was doing that.
7 answers Last reply Best Answer
More about 100 disk usage system
  1. Best answer
    And I was just about to drop this link when I read your edit: http://www.tomshardware.com/faq/id-3267507/fix-100-disc-usage-system-service.html

    Glad I helped :)

    I don't know what the recorder is actually recording to start the process its running so I can't explain why recycle bin was acting as it was.
  2. Read below
  3. Colif said:
    And I was just about to drop this link when I read your edit: http://www.tomshardware.com/faq/id-3267507/fix-100-disc-usage-system-service.html

    Glad I helped :)

    I don't know what the recorder is actually recording to start the process its running so I can't explain why recycle bin was acting as it was.


    What was the fix?
  4. Did you follow this link? http://www.tomshardware.com/faq/id-3267507/fix-100-disc-usage-system-service.html

    I would be surprised if it is cure as that is from December 2016, and should be resolved by windows updates by now.
    What version of win 10 are you on?
    right click start
    choose run...
    type winver and press enter
    For a few more days, the current version is 1709 Build 16299. 309 - new version due out next week.
  5. Colif said:
    Did you follow this link? http://www.tomshardware.com/faq/id-3267507/fix-100-disc-usage-system-service.html

    I would be surprised if it is cure as that is from December 2016, and should be resolved by windows updates by now.
    What version of win 10 are you on?
    right click start
    choose run...
    type winver and press enter
    For a few more days, the current version is 1709 Build 16299. 309 - new version due out next week.


    I'm on version .334 at the end...
  6. make your own post and show a link here and I help you out. Better than using an old thread from 2 years ago, other people won't look in here.
  7. Colif said:
    make your own post and show a link here and I help you out. Better than using an old thread from 2 years ago, other people won't look in here.


    http://www.tomshardware.com/answers/id-3677773/disk-usage-100-windows.html#20856360
Ask a new question

Read More

Storage