Solved

Can't choose between rx480 cf or gtx1070.

I'm about to build my first gaming rig. And I'm confusing about graphic card, nvidia gtx 1070 or rx 480 cs. Rx 480 cf has better performance than gtx 1070 and even than 1080 at some games. I'll be using a 4k free sync monitor. I know some games can't support crossfire. But i guess latest triple A games might support. I'm going to play late high graphic games especially. So, suggest me what should i go pls. I've two reasons for crossfire. 1. Rx 480 cf has good price to performance ratio. 2. I'll be using a free sync monitor.

Specs I'm going to use are
i5 6600k
Asrock Z170 gaming k4
750W 80+gold
Hyper 212x
2x8gb 2400 RAM
9 answers Last reply Best Answer
More about choose rx480 gtx1070
  1. Even in crossfire mode, I do not believe it may outperform the 1070. could be wrong The RX 480 was built with budget in mind, while the 1070 is for mid-level gaming. The 1070 will max out any game at 1080p, and will give support in 1440p.
  2. Firstly ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
    I would recommend going for the rx 480 cf. Better performance, better value.
    But the gtx 1070 is cheaper (albeit slightly) and a single card will have less problems in the long run. A simple 2:1 ratio.
    The cherry on top is that you have a free sync monitor which excellently complements AMD.
  3. Herc08 said:
    Even in crossfire mode, I do not believe it may outperform the 1070. could be wrong The RX 480 was built with budget in mind, while the 1070 is for mid-level gaming. The 1070 will max out any game at 1080p, and will give support in 1440p.


    RX 480 Crossfire will beat a single GTX 1070 with proper crossfire scaling. However we have to be realistic and accept that many developers nowadays won't take the time develop and optimise Crossfire/SLI well enough as It's stupidly difficult to do. Nevermind optimising games for PC in general which is already not done well enough by developers nowadays.

    On average, GTX 1070 will be more consistent in high performance vs. RX 480 CF.
  4. Best answer
    Rocket_Jas said:
    Firstly ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
    I would recommend going for the rx 480 cf. Better performance, better value.
    But the gtx 1070 is cheaper (albeit slightly) and a single card will have less problems in the long run. A simple 2:1 ratio.
    The cherry on top is that you have a free sync monitor which excellently complements AMD.


    We are not talking about 1060 6Gb here... 1070 should outperform 480 in every aspect!

    1060 http://bit.ly/2gNIvAT
    1070 http://bit.ly/2gNJ1iw
  5. He's on about 2x RX 480 though not 1x RX 480.
  6. RX 480 has my vote, Plus if you want to add down the line you can get crossfire on a monitor for nothing unlike G-(overpriced)Sync.
  7. Herc08 said:
    Even in crossfire mode, I do not believe it may outperform the 1070. could be wrong The RX 480 was built with budget in mind, while the 1070 is for mid-level gaming. The 1070 will max out any game at 1080p, and will give support in 1440p.


    "The 1070 will give support in 1440p" really?!!?!
    the GTX1070 is a great card for 1440p. it's overkill for 1080p!
  8. 480 crossfire isn't enough for 4k & neither is the 1070 so really the point is moot.

    As someone whos run a crossfire setup for the last 3 years I honestly wouldnt recommend it as a new build option , there ia getting less & less optimised dual GPU support in more recent titles not more.

    Even though my cf 280x's should be right up there performance wise still the fact is they're not on 70% of games because CD support is so poor.

    They're being replaced very soon with a 480 or 1060 which while being weaker on paper I know will give me more consistent performance.
  9. madmatt30 said:
    480 crossfire isn't enough for 4k & neither is the 1070 so really the point is moot.

    As someone whos run a crossfire setup for the last 3 years I honestly wouldnt recommend it as a new build option , there ia getting less & less optimised dual GPU support in more recent titles not more.

    Even though my cf 280x's should be right up there performance wise still the fact is they're not on 70% of games because CD support is so poor.

    They're being replaced very soon with a 480 or 1060 which while being weaker on paper I know will give me more consistent performance.


    4k runs reasonably fine if you just leave MSAA disabled and settings at high-ish to be honest. It does run at 60 fps and higher in quite a few games especially on a GTX 1070.
Ask a new question

Read More

Games