Solved

ATX AMD Board That Won't Break the Bank.

Hey gang,

I've committed to a new build, and would really appreciate a motherboard recommendation from people who know leagues more than I do. For starters, I'm thinking I want a full sized ATX board. I've ordered a new big case from the egg (Rosewill THOR V2) and I'd like to pair it with a board that can make use all of its fans + front panel ports (4 fans all 3 pin, 2x USB 3.0).

Since its probably germane to the topic, I'm also planning on pairing it with an AMD FX-8350, 16 GB of quality DDR3 ram, a Radeon 290x, and an 80+ Gold 650w PSU.

I've got everything else hammered out (I think so at least) but could really use some help with the motherboard. I'm not married to the idea of a full ATX board, I'm open to going bigger or smaller, but I really want to try and keep the price tag under $100 if at all possible. Any recommendations would be welcome.
11 answers Last reply Best Answer
More about atx amd board break bank
  1. If you haven't bought it yet you should seriously reconsider a build based on the FX-8350. Its an ancient architecture, that gets easily defeated in gaming by a low end Intel, and its about to be obsolete in a month when AMD releases their new line.

    Its a complete waste of money.
  2. Rogue Leader said:
    If you haven't bought it yet you should seriously reconsider a build based on the FX-8350. Its an ancient architecture, that gets easily defeated in gaming by a low end Intel, and its about to be obsolete in a month when AMD releases their new line.

    Its a complete waste of money.


    Hmmmm yeah I'm not married to the idea of the 8350. Its just so much cheaper than the intel i7's, and seems to be quite comparable to the i5's in terms of performance.
  3. Anonymous said:


    Rogue Leader said:
    If you haven't bought it yet you should seriously reconsider a build based on the FX-8350. Its an ancient architecture, that gets easily defeated in gaming by a low end Intel, and its about to be obsolete in a month when AMD releases their new line.

    Its a complete waste of money.


    Hmmmm yeah I'm not married to the idea of the 8350. Its just so much cheaper than the intel i7's, and seems to be quite comparable to the i5's in terms of performance.


    Not sure where you got that idea but it is absolutely not at all true.

    This extreme budget combo of parts would demolish the 8350 in any test, and includes an i5

    PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

    CPU: Intel Core i5-6500 3.2GHz Quad-Core Processor ($191.91 @ Jet)
    Motherboard: MSI H110M PRO-VD PLUS Micro ATX LGA1151 Motherboard ($40.98 @ Newegg)
    Memory: Crucial 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR4-2133 Memory ($47.98 @ Newegg)
    Total: $280.87
    Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
    Generated by PCPartPicker 2016-11-30 14:43 EST-0500

    In addition, why the R9 290x? Its an old power hungry card. the RX 480 is cheap and performs just as well and uses half the power.
  4. Its a hand-me-down from a friend who upgraded his card, and a pretty substantial upgrade from the 7850 I had been using (bit the dust)
  5. Anonymous said:
    Its a hand-me-down from a friend who upgraded his card, and a pretty substantial upgrade from the 7850 I had been using (bit the dust)


    Ah then, by all means.

    So what is your budget for the rest of your parts?
  6. GIGABYTE GA-990FX-Gaming
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813128886

    Sale Ends in 12 Hours
    Save: $30.00 (20%)
    $99.99 after $20.00 rebate card

    M.2 storage

    Rear Panel Ports
    USB 3.1
    1 x USB Type-C port, with USB 3.1 support
    1 x USB 3.1 Type-A port (red)

    USB 3.0
    2 x USB 3.0

    USB 1.1/2.0
    6 x USB 2.0

    Internal I/O Connectors
    1 x USB 3.0/2.0 header
    3 x USB 2.0/1.1 headers
  7. Rogue Leader said:
    Anonymous said:
    Its a hand-me-down from a friend who upgraded his card, and a pretty substantial upgrade from the 7850 I had been using (bit the dust)


    Ah then, by all means.

    So what is your budget for the rest of your parts?


    $400 is a flexible limit right now. That'll entail CPU, MoBo, RAM, and an SSD.
  8. Best answer
    Anonymous said:
    Rogue Leader said:
    Anonymous said:
    Its a hand-me-down from a friend who upgraded his card, and a pretty substantial upgrade from the 7850 I had been using (bit the dust)


    Ah then, by all means.

    So what is your budget for the rest of your parts?


    $400 is a flexible limit right now. That'll entail CPU, MoBo, RAM, and an SSD.


    Little over your budget but will do everything you want, and DEMOLISH that AMD setup

    PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

    CPU: Intel Core i5-6500 3.2GHz Quad-Core Processor ($191.91 @ Jet)
    Motherboard: MSI H110M Gaming Micro ATX LGA1151 Motherboard ($62.98 @ Newegg)
    Memory: Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-2133 Memory ($104.99 @ NCIX US)
    Storage: Samsung 850 EVO-Series 250GB 2.5" Solid State Drive ($78.99 @ Amazon)
    Total: $438.87
    Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
    Generated by PCPartPicker 2016-11-30 15:04 EST-0500
  9. Thanks bud. I think i can shop around and get some and save on the RAM / SSD. Really appreciate the advice.
  10. Anonymous said:
    Thanks bud. I think i can shop around and get some and save on the RAM / SSD. Really appreciate the advice.


    Yeah you definitely have options, this is just a good combo but you may find a better deal on a different brand if you decide to.

    Either way the i5-6500 is FAR preferable over the FX-8350, thats the important part.
Ask a new question

Read More

ATX AMD Motherboards New Build