Solved

CPU choice for light video editing and Animating 2D in Flash

Hey there

So i am building a PC for some light video editing for a youtube channel and 2d animation in adobe flash.

I have an I5 4590 right now in the build, but am wondering if should go for an I7 4790?

Just not sure if i would need the extra CPU power for what i am doing?

Thanks a bunch for any advice

Joe
12 answers Last reply Best Answer
More about cpu choice light video editing animating flash
  1. Usually an upgrade that small is not worth it. The difference in performance between those two CPUs wouldn't be too much. You're getting 4 more threads. (User benchmarks say 27%)
    I would see what you can do with what you have. Usually with editing you want more true cores, but that gets EXPENSIVE.
    If you can get by with what you have do it, but if you just can't handle it then upgrade.
  2. Sorry let me clarify, the rig isn't built yet, i just mean the I5 is in the build plan.

    Thanks for reply. Just need to figure out if the 4 more threads is worth the 90 extra bucks.
  3. Oh in that case I personally would go for the i7. But thats up to you. I thought you were wanting to upgrade from one to the other, I would say get the i7.
  4. The real question isn't if it's worth it, but is it worth it TO YOU. It's undeniably more power, but only 25-30% more, for $90 more, so is that worth it TO YOU?
  5. I render quite a few 35-45 GB videos using Handbrake, which is a core hog - i'm running a i7-4790 (see my sig below).
    While the i7-4790 has been a great performer, i'm getting ready to upgrade to a i7-5960X for the additional cores, mainly to speed up the process - typical video file takes me 30-45 minutes, depending on the code it's in.

    A lot depends on the programs you're using - check this link http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/intel-core-i7-5960x-haswell-e-cpu,3918-5.html?_ga=1.61181353.464626474.1477413218 It surprised me how the cpu rankings changed depending on the software being run.

    the second comparison graph down shows a number of the adobe programs and how each cpu performed running them
    - You probably don't need a 5960X but it helped me to learn the 5960x was approx 33% faster than a 4790k - even though my cpu is a non-"k", 33% shorter render times compared the identical cpu (running at higher clock speed than mine) caught my attention.

    But generally you're not going to be hurting yourself having additional cores - if you do go with the 4790, mine has been extremely stable. Be sure to use an adequate cooler - i'm running a Noctua U12S, and my temps while rendering max at 63C. Handbrake runs all four cores at 98-99% load, so that's why i say it's a core hog. If you download RealTempGT (free utility), you can watch cpu core temps and load in realtime.

    Hope this helps some
  6. EpIckFa1LJoN said:
    The real question isn't if it's worth it, but is it worth it TO YOU. It's undeniably more power, but only 25-30% more, for $90 more, so is that worth it TO YOU?


    Yeah, that is the thing though. I don't know if it is worth it for MY PURPOSES lol I am trying to figure out how that 25% translates to actual real world situations for the programs i will be using. The extra power might be great but it also might not really be noticeable for what i am using it for and be a waste of money for my purposes.

    I guess that is where my confusion comes in. It all depends on how much Adobe Animate and Premiere pro will benefit from the I7 for basic 2d animating and editing 1080 video game clips captured from a capture card .

    The CPU's listed above aren't that far off clock speed, it is mostly the hyperthreading. I am not even sure if adobe animate will use that feature.
  7. Best answer
    Joe_152 said:
    EpIckFa1LJoN said:
    The real question isn't if it's worth it, but is it worth it TO YOU. It's undeniably more power, but only 25-30% more, for $90 more, so is that worth it TO YOU?


    Yeah, that is the thing though. I don't know if it is worth it for MY PURPOSES lol I am trying to figure out how that 25% translates to actual real world situations for the programs i will be using. The extra power might be great but it also might not really be noticeable for what i am using it for and be a waste of money for my purposes.

    I guess that is where my confusion comes in. It all depends on how much Adobe Animate and Premiere pro will benefit from the I7 for basic 2d animating and editing 1080 video game clips captured from a capture card .

    The CPU's listed above aren't that far off clock speed, it is mostly the hyperthreading. I am not even sure if adobe animate will use that feature.



    Well if the videos are truly light videos I think the i7 would be worth it. But if you are doing some bigger videos like the other guy who posted a 6-core would be better, but again, those get EXPENSIVE. Again I personally would get the i7 if you haven't already bought a chip, but to me $100 is basically nothing. I don't start caring what stuff costs until you start talking $200-300 difference in price. For example, I fully expect to upgrade my GTX 1080 which is like 2 months old, to a 1080 Ti when it comes out. I fully expect to pay about $400 to get the new card, after selling my old card, for 30% more performance, but again to me that's worth it.

    You have to ask yourself, "Am I willing to spend $90-100 for 27% more power?"

    To me thats a heck yes!
    But those are the facts.
    $90-100 more for 27% more power, 4 more threads.
  8. EpIckFa1LJoN said:
    Joe_152 said:
    EpIckFa1LJoN said:
    The real question isn't if it's worth it, but is it worth it TO YOU. It's undeniably more power, but only 25-30% more, for $90 more, so is that worth it TO YOU?


    Yeah, that is the thing though. I don't know if it is worth it for MY PURPOSES lol I am trying to figure out how that 25% translates to actual real world situations for the programs i will be using. The extra power might be great but it also might not really be noticeable for what i am using it for and be a waste of money for my purposes.

    I guess that is where my confusion comes in. It all depends on how much Adobe Animate and Premiere pro will benefit from the I7 for basic 2d animating and editing 1080 video game clips captured from a capture card .

    The CPU's listed above aren't that far off clock speed, it is mostly the hyperthreading. I am not even sure if adobe animate will use that feature.



    Well if the videos are truly light videos I think the i7 would be worth it. But if you are doing some bigger videos like the other guy who posted a 6-core would be better, but again, those get EXPENSIVE. Again I personally would get the i7 if you haven't already bought a chip, but to me $100 is basically nothing. I don't start caring what stuff costs until you start talking $200-300 difference in price. For example, I fully expect to upgrade my GTX 1080 which is like 2 months old, to a 1080 Ti when it comes out. I fully expect to pay about $400 to get the new card, after selling my old card, for 30% more performance, but again to me that's worth it.

    You have to ask yourself, "Am I willing to spend $90-100 for 27% more power?"

    To me thats a heck yes!
    But those are the facts.
    $90-100 more for 27% more power, 4 more threads.


    Screw it, i am getting the I7 lol why not. 6 or more cores is definitely unnecessary for what i am doing and way out of my budget.

    Now the question is do i push it a bit further and get the 4790K for an extra $40 making it $130 over the 4590?

    I lucked out and the CX600 PSU was the same price as the CX500 i had in my cart so i changed to that giving me some more juice for no added cost.

    But i am wondering if the H97 Pro 4 MOBO i got would handle the I7 4790 and K version? I would think it shouldn't be an issue. Obviously i can't overclock but i won't be overclocking anyway.

    I also have a 212 EVO, you think that would be cool enough ?

    Thanks again for the advice it is appreciated
  9. Yes - clock frequency has a major effect on render times - go to that link i posted earlier, and notice they were testing the 5960X at, iirc, 3.2 or 3.5, while the 4790k had been overclocked to 4.4. The 5960x is an eight core cpu, so that 4.4 clock frequency on the 4790k made up for it's lower core count
  10. 4790K is still a very good CPU. It's like 5% slower than an i7 6700K, and I paid over $300 for mine.

    Im no expert on the 97 boards but I think you want Z97 chipset if you plan on overclocking, and since you are getting an unlocked CPU the Z97 would deff be worth it. I like MSI's overclock genie so you might look into an MSI board. Takes a lot of the trial and testing out of overclocking.
  11. EpIckFa1LJoN said:
    4790K is still a very good CPU. It's like 5% slower than an i7 6700K, and I paid over $300 for mine.

    Im no expert on the 97 boards but I think you want Z97 chipset if you plan on overclocking, and since you are getting an unlocked CPU the Z97 would deff be worth it. I like MSI's overclock genie so you might look into an MSI board. Takes a lot of the trial and testing out of overclocking.



    I went with the 6700k and an MSI Z170m mortar. cryorig H7 for cooling.

    Build went great but i am having some temp and fan issues now.

    Ran prime and i got 80c after 30 minutes. And for some reason my temps keep jumping around in any monitor i use.

    3 cores will be 30c and one of them will randomly jump to 50c for a second. It isn't just one core either, it rotates. Each core wil take turns jumping to 50c it's weird.

    I have windows 7 that has no updates yet because of a fresh install off disk. I am gonna upgrade to windows 10 and see if that fixes things.

    Might just be a software issue :/ i hope......
  12. Joe_152 said:
    EpIckFa1LJoN said:
    4790K is still a very good CPU. It's like 5% slower than an i7 6700K, and I paid over $300 for mine.

    Im no expert on the 97 boards but I think you want Z97 chipset if you plan on overclocking, and since you are getting an unlocked CPU the Z97 would deff be worth it. I like MSI's overclock genie so you might look into an MSI board. Takes a lot of the trial and testing out of overclocking.



    I went with the 6700k and an MSI Z170m mortar. cryorig H7 for cooling.

    Mine does that as well. It doesn't seem to have an effect on performance. I am running a stable 4.2GHz and my water block rarely gets over 30C.

    The cores themselves seem to jump around.

    I do not know why, but like I said it does not seem to effect performance.

    Build went great but i am having some temp and fan issues now.

    Ran prime and i got 80c after 30 minutes. And for some reason my temps keep jumping around in any monitor i use.

    3 cores will be 30c and one of them will randomly jump to 50c for a second. It isn't just one core either, it rotates. Each core wil take turns jumping to 50c it's weird.

    I have windows 7 that has no updates yet because of a fresh install off disk. I am gonna upgrade to windows 10 and see if that fixes things.

    Might just be a software issue :/ i hope......


    Mine does that as well. It does not seem to effect performance but my water block rarely gets over 30C.
Ask a new question

Read More

Intel i7 Intel Intel i5 Light Flash CPUs Video Editing