Solved

RAM Stuck at 666mhz?

I currently have an i7-3770K on an ASRock Z77 Extreme4, 16GB of RAM, a 750W PSU, and I've upgraded the GPU to a GTX 1070. However, I've noticed that there are a lot of frame rate drops and I know my CPU should be performing better in CPU intense games (like Guild Wars 2 or Planetside 2). I've heard RAM can definitely make a difference so I decided to check what it was clocked at- turns out, it's at 666mhz, and I'm sure it's supposed to be much higher.

Do I fix this by going and enabling XMP, or is there just a dropdown box that I need to select a higher speed? It was a prebuilt from 2012 that I got from my dad and then put the 1070 in it (it had a 660, and the 660 was having display issues). I have no idea what normal clock speed or possible clock speed the RAM sticks are capable of because of this, and my dad doesn't remember. Anyone had a similar experience with this motherboard?
11 answers Last reply Best Answer
More about ram stuck 666mhz
  1. You have 1333Mhz RAM if you are checking in CpuZ or SysInfo (Double Data Rate).

    What % load does your CPU reach when gaming? Could be a bottleneck.
  2. Double data rate so it's normal stock ~1333. Prebuilt with aftermarket parts? Ram actually makes pretty much no difference at all as long as you have enough and 16gb is plenty. If you ram is faster speed, it doesn't hurt to set xmp. Check your usage of everything and see if you spot anything going high during the fps drops.
  3. Multipack said:
    You have 1333Mhz RAM if you are checking in CpuZ or SysInfo (Double Data Rate).

    What % load does your CPU reach when gaming? Could be a bottleneck.


    Thanks! My CPU only gets to about 75-80% so I'm pretty sure it's not bottlenecking (or at least not bottlenecking too much). Guild Wars 2 is very CPU-based. I suppose that could be an issue. With the GTX 660 I could run GW2 ultra settings at 1080p, usually between 80-100 FPS even in most major cities (it would just drop to 50-60 in world bosses) and 150-200 in open world areas with nobody around. I wouldn't have switched except the GTX 660 had display issues and would crash every hour or two. Soon before I got the 1070, though, my friend repeatedly (as he is very naive, even though I told him multiple times not to) kept either hitting the power switch or pulling the plug from my PC. This already corrupted my HDD and I had to get a new one. Could this have damaged other parts as well, hence why I am only getting 30-60 FPS now on medium settings?
  4. No I doubt it would have damaged the card myself and 75-80% would suggest theres no bottleneck or throttling going on. Can u get a sshot of your gpu stat graphs while in-game? Is there anything out of the ordinary?
  5. Multipack said:
    No I doubt it would have damaged the card myself and 75-80% would suggest theres no bottleneck or throttling going on. Can u get a sshot of your gpu stat graphs while in-game? Is there anything out of the ordinary?


    I don't think so. However- the GTX 1070 has no official drivers for Windows 8.1, which I am currently using. Could this really be the cause of every single one of my issues that I'm having?
  6. It does have official 8.1 drivers and has since release. The versions for 8.1 clearly states all 10 series.

    Also when looking at cpu usage, you have to look at per core not total. If a single core is getting high then that's the issue. This is because of the inefficiencies of older directx and it loads all graphics on 1 core even if it has other threaded workloads.
  7. k1114 said:
    It does have official 8.1 drivers and has since release. The versions for 8.1 clearly states all 10 series.

    Also when looking at cpu usage, you have to look at per core not total. If a single core is getting high then that's the issue. This is because of the inefficiencies of older directx and it loads all graphics on 1 core even if it has other threaded workloads.


    So I should probably download something like HWMonitor and check my individual core usage in games?
  8. Task manager has graphs to see it easier. No need to download or install anything.
  9. k1114 said:
    Task manager has graphs to see it easier. No need to download or install anything.


    So according to my resource monitor when playing Guild Wars 2, my CPU usage on either my 2nd or 3rd core will go up to about 80-95% at 1080p (my default monitor resolution) and in fullscreen. Another three or four threads are at about 30-50% and the rest are at like 5%. It might almost definitely be my CPU bottlenecking. Also, my CPU is at stock speed of 3.5ghz even though it's overclockable because like I said it's a prebuilt and it just came with an Intel CPU cooler.
  10. Best answer
    That's what I was suspecting with stock speeds might be getting high usage on a single core. But that's an aftermarket mobo on a prebuilt? Doesn't hurt to go into bios and see if you can change settings. You can usually at least get max turbo speed on all cores and undervolt so temps aren't really any different for the stock cooler to handle.
  11. Alright, thank you, I'll do that! I'll be upgrading in a few months so it's not too big of an issue anyway.
Ask a new question

Read More

RAM