Solved

radeon gpu comparison!

hi!, i was looking for some info on what would be better for gaming , the r9 390 is 20 bucks cheaper then the rx 480, but here are the gpu's!

PowerColor PCS+ Radeon R9 390

XFX Radeon RX 480 XXX custom blackplate edition

any help and opinions are greatly appreciated!
19 answers Last reply Best Answer
More about radeon gpu comparison
  1. Best answer
    heavyartillary9 said:
    hi!, i was looking for some info on what would be better for gaming , the r9 390 is 20 bucks cheaper then the rx 480, but here are the gpu's!

    PowerColor PCS+ Radeon R9 390

    XFX Radeon RX 480 XXX custom blackplate edition

    any help and opinions are greatly appreciated!


    The 390 is faster, if your power supply is up to it


    if you dont have a solid 650w power supply then get the 480
  2. maxalge said:
    heavyartillary9 said:
    hi!, i was looking for some info on what would be better for gaming , the r9 390 is 20 bucks cheaper then the rx 480, but here are the gpu's!

    PowerColor PCS+ Radeon R9 390

    XFX Radeon RX 480 XXX custom blackplate edition

    any help and opinions are greatly appreciated!


    The 390 is faster, if your power supply is up to it


    if you dont have a solid 650w power supply then get the 480



    i have 1k watts, if i cant push the a single card then there is a big issue XD
  3. R9 390 is better at anti-aliasing, but RX480 is generally faster. However, XFX Radeon RX 480 XXX custom blackplate edition is a reference design, and has very weak radiator inside the cooler, so it gets hot and noisy. I'd advise to choose a RX480 with custom cooler like MSI Gaming X instead.
  4. neblogai said:
    R9 390 is better at anti-aliasing, but RX480 is generally faster. However, XFX Radeon RX 480 XXX custom blackplate edition is a reference design, and has very weak radiator inside the cooler, so it gets hot and noisy. I'd advise to choose a RX480 with custom cooler like MSI Gaming X instead.


    while i agree 1000%, but i cant afford new, so im getting used, and those two models are my only options as of right now
  5. Consider a well made RX470- there are a few models that run almost as fast as RX480 out of the box (Sapphire Nitro+, MSI gaming X), and come with nice coolers so may be overclocked further.
  6. ok, but would this out preform the 390 from before ? https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01JS9F9K4/?tag=pcpapi-20&th=1
  7. or should i just tough it out for now and get the msi rx480 gaming x 8gb when i save up enough ?
  8. heavyartillary9 said:
    or should i just tough it out for now and get the msi rx480 gaming x 8gb when i save up enough ?


    Performance is similar enough. I would choose RX470 4GB + overclock for 1080p, but 8GB (used or new) card for 1440p. Well made RX480 8GBs are still pricy, so wanting to get them used cheaper is understandable.
    These is another interesting card in Sapphire RX470 Nitro+ 8GB - it is the only RX470 that comes with 8GHz memory like RX480 8GB, and runs at stable clock of 1260MHz before overclock. As the difference between RX470 and RX480 GPU is just 12,5% less shaders and lower GPU clock, RX470 at high clocks and good memory + overclock is very close to RX480s.
  9. soooo lets talk new, is it better to spend the extra the extra 20 on the 480 ?

    https://pcpartpicker.com/products/compare/7wgPxr,t898TW/
  10. heavyartillary9 said:
    soooo lets talk new, is it better to spend the extra the extra 20 on the 480 ?

    https://pcpartpicker.com/products/compare/7wgPxr,t898TW/


    if you increase budget to that

    then the gtx 1060 6gb is the best buy
  11. maxalge said:
    heavyartillary9 said:
    soooo lets talk new, is it better to spend the extra the extra 20 on the 480 ?

    https://pcpartpicker.com/products/compare/7wgPxr,t898TW/


    if you increase budget to that

    then the gtx 1060 6gb is the best buy


    i much prefer radeon over nvidia , i cant really explaine why, but i like radeon better + the radeon is out preforming the 1060 in newer games
  12. heavyartillary9 said:
    maxalge said:
    heavyartillary9 said:
    soooo lets talk new, is it better to spend the extra the extra 20 on the 480 ?

    https://pcpartpicker.com/products/compare/7wgPxr,t898TW/


    if you increase budget to that

    then the gtx 1060 6gb is the best buy


    i much prefer radeon over nvidia , i cant really explaine why, but i like radeon better + the radeon is out preforming the 1060 in newer games



    no it isnt, the 1060 6gb is quite a bit faster in current games, and a lot faster in older games


  13. heavyartillary9 said:
    soooo lets talk new, is it better to spend the extra the extra 20 on the 480 ?

    https://pcpartpicker.com/products/compare/7wgPxr,t898TW/


    The difference here- MSI cooler is quiter, RX480 board comes with more robust power delivery, can overclock better. Saphire- has much better cooling on VRAM, and costs less.

    At just $20 difference, I'd choose the MSI. Where I live, price difference between them is €60:)
  14. maxalge said:

    no it isnt, the 1060 6gb is quite a bit faster in current games, and a lot faster in older games



    If you check the games released in last 6 months, almost every time RX480 is faster. In very last games, like Forza Horizon 3 and Battlefield1, GTX1060 6GB competes with reference RX470.
  15. neblogai said:
    maxalge said:

    no it isnt, the 1060 6gb is quite a bit faster in current games, and a lot faster in older games



    If you check the games released in last 6 months, almost every time RX480 is faster. In very last games, like Forza Horizon 3 and Battlefield1, GTX1060 6GB competes with reference RX470.






    where are you reading the 470 is equal to a 1060 6gb?
  16. neblogai said:


    XD

    odd, human error i would think

    maybe driver issue, because at ultra the 1060 is clearly superior


    also in BF1 the 1060 should be a little faster than a 980


    and the 470 a little slower than a 480

  17. Here are latest Battlefield1 tests, in DX12 RX470 4GB is again faster than GTX1060 6GB in all resolutions: http://gamegpu.com/action-/-fps-/-tps/battlefield-1-test-gpu
  18. oh god, did i accidentally start a nvidia vs radeon war ?
Ask a new question

Read More

GPUs Radeon Gaming