Solved

Safe max voltage for GPU overclock?

I know that its an old card and that some of you aren't familiar with it, or simply forgot all about it, but, i want to overclock my MSI 5850 tf2 but don't want to push it too far to (greatly) reduce its life span.
Now the thing with this card is that gpuz shows it runs at 1.088V, but when i unlocked voltage in MSI Afterburner, the slider was sitting at 1.165V, and gpuz was still showing 1.088V.

But anyway, for some reason it wasn't stable with stock clock 725/1000MHz and with default voltage, so i had to push the voltage up to 1.205 just to make it stable at stock clock. Now i want to squeeze a bit more out of it, but im not sure if im already even above the "safe" margin of voltage, and googling about it, i found various claims, from up to 1.3V, 1.25V, all the way down to 1.15 or similar. So if anyone has some insight or an assumption, it would be greatly appreciated :)
5 answers Last reply Best Answer
More about safe max voltage gpu overclock
  1. I'd just bump it up until you are uncomfortable with either the noise or the heat, I never worry about the voltage but more the heat because if you wanted you can run under LN2 with such high voltage that it would be dead under air.

    You might want to setup a custom fan profile though to make sure it doesn't get to hot.
  2. The BIOS of the card often won't let you push the voltage beyond safe limits. However that card is very old and is probably already on its way out since its requiring more voltage to run at stock clocks. How far will msi afterburner let you push the voltage and power limit? Personally I would probably just max out the slider and push it as hard as I could until it dies. You could get another one on ebay for $35 or something much faster for a few dollars more, I don't know what your finnacial situation is but thats what I would do.
  3. Dunlop0078 said:
    The BIOS of the card often won't let you push the voltage beyond safe limits. However that card is very old and is probably already on its way out since its requiring more voltage to run at stock clocks. How far will msi afterburner let you push the voltage and power limit? Personally I would probably just max out the slider and push it as hard as I could until it dies. You could get another one on ebay for $35 or something much faster for a few dollars more, I don't know what your finnacial situation is but thats what I would do.


    Afterburner goes up to 1.3V and the other power option is grayed out, unchangeable, but yea, my financial situation doesn't allow me to kill my gpu just yet.
  4. Best answer
    borko3fkovix said:
    Dunlop0078 said:
    The BIOS of the card often won't let you push the voltage beyond safe limits. However that card is very old and is probably already on its way out since its requiring more voltage to run at stock clocks. How far will msi afterburner let you push the voltage and power limit? Personally I would probably just max out the slider and push it as hard as I could until it dies. You could get another one on ebay for $35 or something much faster for a few dollars more, I don't know what your finnacial situation is but thats what I would do.


    Afterburner goes up to 1.3V and the other power option is grayed out, unchangeable, but yea, my financial situation doesn't allow me to kill my gpu just yet.


    Well if you don't want to kill the card I would probably just leave it at stock clocks and whatever voltage it takes to be stable. Like I said a card requiring more than stock voltage to run at stock clocks is usually a sign the gpu is aging and may not last a whole lot longer.
  5. Dunlop0078 said:
    borko3fkovix said:
    Dunlop0078 said:
    The BIOS of the card often won't let you push the voltage beyond safe limits. However that card is very old and is probably already on its way out since its requiring more voltage to run at stock clocks. How far will msi afterburner let you push the voltage and power limit? Personally I would probably just max out the slider and push it as hard as I could until it dies. You could get another one on ebay for $35 or something much faster for a few dollars more, I don't know what your finnacial situation is but thats what I would do.


    Afterburner goes up to 1.3V and the other power option is grayed out, unchangeable, but yea, my financial situation doesn't allow me to kill my gpu just yet.


    Well if you don't want to kill the card I would probably just leave it at stock clocks and whatever voltage it takes to be stable. Like I said a card requiring more than stock voltage to run at stock clocks is usually a sign the gpu is aging and may not last a whole lot longer.


    Yea, you're probably right. Thanks
Ask a new question

Read More

Overclocking GPUs MSI-Microstar