Solved

Lag spikes every 3 minutes for 30 seconds while playing games

Whenever I play games such as Battlefield 1 or Rust, I get a loss of frames for a solid 30 seconds every 3-5 minutes. I've been trying to fix this for a very, very long time and just can't find anything. Anyone have any tips?
34 answers Last reply Best Answer
More about lag spikes minutes seconds playing games
  1. MERGED QUESTION
    Question from nateyboy : "Lag spikes every 3 minutes for 30 seconds while playing games"

    nateyboy said:
    Whenever I play games such as Battlefield 1 or Rust, I get a loss of frames for a solid 30 seconds every 3-5 minutes. I've been trying to fix this for a very, very long time and just can't find anything. Anyone have any tips?


    TFCBoom said:
    You may need more ram.
    At least 8Gb for gaming


    nateyboy said:
    TFCBoom said:
    You may need more ram.
    At least 8Gb for gaming


    I have 8 gigs already


    TFCBoom said:
    What are your specs?


    nateyboy said:
    TFCBoom said:
    What are your specs?


    Sorry, I'm a bit of a noob. What's an easy way of figuring out my specs?


    TFCBoom said:
    press Windows key + R Then type Dxdiag Or go to system properties


    nateyboy said:
    TFCBoom said:
    press Windows key + R Then type Dxdiag Or go to system properties


    Time of this report: 9/4/2016, 20:55:50
    Machine name: NATE-PC
    Operating System: Windows 10 Home 64-bit (10.0, Build 10586) (10586.th2_release.160802-1857)
    Language: English (Regional Setting: English)
    System Manufacturer: Gigabyte Technology Co., Ltd.
    System Model: To be filled by O.E.M.
    BIOS: BIOS Date: 10/21/14 10:03:00 Ver: 04.06.05
    Processor: AMD FX(tm)-8350 Eight-Core Processor (8 CPUs), ~4.0GHz
    Memory: 8192MB RAM
    Available OS Memory: 8150MB RAM
    Page File: 6451MB used, 61699MB available
    Windows Dir: C:\WINDOWS
    DirectX Version: 12
    DX Setup Parameters: Not found
    User DPI Setting: Using System DPI
    System DPI Setting: 96 DPI (100 percent)
    DWM DPI Scaling: Disabled
    Miracast: Available, with HDCP
    Microsoft Graphics Hybrid: Not Supported
    DxDiag Version: 10.00.10586.0000 64bit Unicode
  2. Please don't start a new thread to ask the same question, in the future. Thank you.
  3. This sounds like a possible heat problem and is a sign of CPU and/or GPU throttling.

    What are your CPU and GPU operating temperatures at idle and under load?
  4. COLGeek said:
    This sounds like a possible heat problem and is a sign of CPU and/or GPU throttling.

    What are your CPU and GPU operating temperatures at idle and under load?


    I checked my cpu temperature when playing games, and it was around 63-64 Celsius, and it stays constant even when I have the lag spike. When I'm not running a game, it stays at around 53. But I couldn't figure out how to check my gpu temperature, do you know a program or something where i can monitor my gpu temp?
  5. Download and install hwmonitor. Get it here:

    http://www.cpuid.com/softwares/hwmonitor.html

    Your CPU is running fairly warm. Are you using the heatsink that shipped with the FX-8350?
  6. COLGeek said:
    Download and install hwmonitor. Get it here:

    http://www.cpuid.com/softwares/hwmonitor.html

    Your CPU is running fairly warm. Are you using the heatsink that shipped with the FX-8350?


    Yes, I believe I'm using the heat sink that came with the cpu. Also, I checked my gpu temp, and it is around constant 64 degrees.
  7. Your CPU is the likely culprit here. With the side of the case removed, what are your operating temperatures?

    How many case fans do you have in the front and rear of your case?
  8. COLGeek said:
    Your CPU is the likely culprit here. With the side of the case removed, what are your operating temperatures?

    How many case fans do you have in the front and rear of your case?


    I have 2 case fans; one in the rear and one on top of the case. I actually have had my case open this whole time also.
  9. For optimal cooling, you should have a fan in the front that pulls in cool air and a fan in the rear that sucks hot air out of the case. You want air flowing through the case to keep components as cool as possible.

    You may need to apply new thermal compound (like Arctic Silver) to the CPU/heatsink.

    If your case has been open and you are running this hot, then the CPU is very likely the issue as previously mentioned. It is getting too hot and slowing down in order to protect itself.
  10. COLGeek said:
    For optimal cooling, you should have a fan in the front that pulls in cool air and a fan in the rear that sucks hot air out of the case. You want air flowing through the case to keep components as cool as possible.

    You may need to apply new thermal compound (like Arctic Silver) to the CPU/heatsink.

    If your case has been open and you are running this hot, then the CPU is very likely the issue as previously mentioned. It is getting too hot and slowing down in order to protect itself.


    Ok thanks, sounds like that is the problem. Do you know a specific fan or thermal compound I should get?
  11. What is the make/model of your case?
  12. COLGeek said:
    What is the make/model of your case?


    I honestly don't know, do you know how i can check?
  13. Post a picture of it, or a link to a website with the same one.
  14. You have a water cooled CPU. If the pump and the radiator fan is working properly, as well as it being affixed properly to the CPU, it should be much cooler than it is.

    Did you install the heatsink?
  15. COLGeek said:
    You have a water cooled CPU. If the pump and the radiator fan is working properly, as well as it being affixed properly to the CPU, it should be much cooler than it is.

    Did you install the heatsink?


    if the question is did I myself install the heat sink, the answer is no
  16. I suspect that it is not connected tightly enough to the CPU and isn't dissipating heat as well as it should.

    You should also check to make sure the fan, connected to the radiator is spinning and is sucking the hot air out of the case. Hold you hand behind the opening, can you feel air passing through the radiator and blowing against you hand outside the back of the case?

    Also, make sure the pump power connection is connected to the CPU_fan header.
  17. COLGeek said:
    I suspect that it is not connected tightly enough to the CPU and isn't dissipating heat as well as it should.

    You should also check to make sure the fan, connected to the radiator is spinning and is sucking the hot air out of the case. Hold you hand behind the opening, can you feel air passing through the radiator and blowing against you hand outside the back of the case?

    Also, make sure the pump power connection is connected to the CPU_fan header.


    Seems like the fan connecting to the radiator is working, i checked to see if its sucking the hot air out. Also, I saw fan connection is connected to the cpu fan header, so this is confusing because everything looks to be working.
  18. There are likely 2 power connectors for your heatsink. One for the fan connected to the radiator and one for the pump. Can you tell if there are 2 such connections?
  19. COLGeek said:
    There are likely 2 power connectors for your heatsink. One for the fan connected to the radiator and one for the pump. Can you tell if there are 2 such connections?


    I only see one cord connecting the CPU fan heading to the heat sink. I can send you a picture to that specific area if you want.
  20. Please post one that clearly shows the area around the CPU itself.
  21. COLGeek said:
    Please post one that clearly shows the area around the CPU itself.



  22. Are the screws on the CPU bracket tight? Or can you move them using only your fingers to turn them?

    Is there a wire coming off the fan part with a connector attached to the motherboard? Looks like it goes behind the motherboard. Is that connected to the motherboard or to a fan controller?
  23. COLGeek said:
    Are the screws on the CPU bracket tight? Or can you move them using only your fingers to turn them?

    Is there a wire coming of the fan part with a connector attached to the motherboard?


    The screws on the CPU bracket are very tight. Also, I saw a wire connecting the fan to the backside of the motherboard it looks like.
  24. nateyboy said:
    COLGeek said:
    Are the screws on the CPU bracket tight? Or can you move them using only your fingers to turn them?

    Is there a wire coming of the fan part with a connector attached to the motherboard?


    The screws on the CPU bracket are very tight. Also, I saw a wire connecting the fan to the backside of the motherboard it looks like.

    Looks like it goes behind the motherboard. Is that connected to the motherboard or to a fan controller?
  25. COLGeek said:
    nateyboy said:
    COLGeek said:
    Are the screws on the CPU bracket tight? Or can you move them using only your fingers to turn them?

    Is there a wire coming of the fan part with a connector attached to the motherboard?


    The screws on the CPU bracket are very tight. Also, I saw a wire connecting the fan to the backside of the motherboard it looks like.

    Looks like it goes behind the motherboard. Is that connected to the motherboard or to a fan controller?


    Yeah, it doesn't look like it connects anywhere to the motherboard. It must be connected to a fan controller i guess
  26. Can you see if the fan is actually turning? If so, it is connected to something.
  27. COLGeek said:
    Can you see if the fan is actually turning? If so, it is connected to something.


    Yeah, both fans are turning
  28. If you put your finger on the round thing covered your CPU, can you feel the pump running? Is the the round thing quite warm when the system is running?
  29. COLGeek said:
    If you put your finger on the round thing covered your CPU, can you feel the pump running? Is the the round thing quite warm when the system is running?


    I can definitely feel the pump running, and it's warm but not super hot. I'm not running any applications right now on my computer though. Also, I gotta go to bed now man, so I will talk to you tomorrow. Thanks for the help so far.
  30. Unless your room temperature is quite warm, your CPU should idle at less than 40c. Your earlier stated 53c indicates CPU cooling is the issue. That is why all the questions.
  31. COLGeek said:
    Unless your room temperature is quite warm, your CPU should idle at less than 40c. Your earlier stated 53c indicates CPU cooling is the issue. That is why all the questions.


    woops, didn't mean to make that the best solution.

    Anyways, I agree it must be a problem with my cooling so I'm definitely willing to buy a new cooling system if it comes to it. Also, my friend has thermal compound i could use to apply to my cpu.
  32. Best answer
    BA de-selected. Try the new thermal compound and see if it makes a difference. You could also swap out the current heatsink for something like a Cooler Master 212:

    EVO: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835103099

    212X: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=13C-000X-00037
Ask a new question

Read More

Video Games Battlefield Lag Games