Solved

Cooling an Overclocked 4GHZ i7-6800k: Phanteks PH-TC14PE VS. a Liquid Cooling Solution?

So I'm making a part list on pcpartpicker.com which includes the Intel Core i7-6800k: http://pcpartpicker.com/list/WqpwzM Once I order all the parts, I want to overclock the CPU to 4GHZ if I can. I wanted to go with the Phanteks to cool it because of the aesthetics, great airflow, and MOST importantly, quietness. However, after scrolling through the forums, reviews, and FAQs the other day, I stumbled upon this: https://hardforum.com/threads/air-cooler-for-6800k-at-4-ghz.1901416/ This page basically states you CAN use a high-end air cooler for an overclocked 6800k, however, you might not have the absolute best temps and headroom compared to a liquid cooler. I'm wondering what I should go with, the Phanteks, an equivalent air cooler that matches the Phantek's cooling performance and the white/blue build, or an all-in-one liquid cooling solution. The only thing with liquid cooling is that it's extremely hard to find a decently quiet liquid cooler (at least for me), such as NZXT's Kraken's noisy pump, the main reason I considered air cooling in the first place.

Any and all help appreciated! :)
8 answers Last reply Best Answer
More about cooling overclocked 4ghz 6800k phanteks tc14pe liquid cooling solution
  1. PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

    CPU: Intel Core i7-6800K 3.4GHz 6-Core Processor ($419.99 @ B&H)
    CPU Cooler: CRYORIG A40 ULTIMATE 83.0 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler ($114.45 @ Amazon)
    Motherboard: Asus X99-A II ATX LGA2011-3 Motherboard ($225.99 @ SuperBiiz)
    Memory: Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-3000 Memory ($84.88 @ OutletPC)
    Storage: OCZ TRION 150 480GB 2.5" Solid State Drive ($127.99 @ Directron)
    Storage: Seagate Barracuda 3TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($94.99 @ SuperBiiz)
    Video Card: EVGA GeForce GTX 1070 8GB ACX 3.0 Video Card ($419.99 @ NCIX US)
    Case: NZXT Noctis 450 ATX Mid Tower Case ($136.99 @ SuperBiiz)
    Power Supply: SeaSonic Snow Silent 750W 80+ Platinum Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply ($149.99 @ B&H)
    Case Fan: Phanteks PH-F140TS_BL 78.1 CFM 140mm Fan
    Case Fan: LEPA Vortex 14 PWM 62.7 CFM 140mm Fan ($7.59 @ Amazon)
    Case Fan: Noctua NF-A14 industrialPPC-2000 PWM 107.4 CFM 140mm Fan (Purchased For $0.00)
    Case Fan: LEPA LP-BOL12P-BL 81.5 CFM 120mm Fan ($13.99 @ SuperBiiz)
    Monitor: Asus VN247H-P 23.6" Monitor ($168.99 @ SuperBiiz)
    Other: NZXT Hue+ ($59.99)
    Other: Razer Firefly Mousepad ($59.99)
    Other: NZXT Grid+ V2 Fan Controller ($29.99)
    Other: Sound Dampening Foam ($15.99)
    Other: White Internal Cables (NZXT) ($30.00)
    Other: Custom Sleeving Option 2 ($30.00)
    Other: Custom GPU Backplates and More ($30.00)
    Total: $2221.79
    Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
    Generated by PCPartPicker 2016-08-19 09:15 EDT-0400


    - better cpu cooler and better powersupply( its really dead silent and best quality)
  2. superninja12 said:
    PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

    CPU: Intel Core i7-6800K 3.4GHz 6-Core Processor ($419.99 @ B&H)
    CPU Cooler: CRYORIG A40 ULTIMATE 83.0 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler ($114.45 @ Amazon)
    Motherboard: Asus X99-A II ATX LGA2011-3 Motherboard ($225.99 @ SuperBiiz)
    Memory: Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-3000 Memory ($84.88 @ OutletPC)
    Storage: OCZ TRION 150 480GB 2.5" Solid State Drive ($127.99 @ Directron)
    Storage: Seagate Barracuda 3TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($94.99 @ SuperBiiz)
    Video Card: EVGA GeForce GTX 1070 8GB ACX 3.0 Video Card ($419.99 @ NCIX US)
    Case: NZXT Noctis 450 ATX Mid Tower Case ($136.99 @ SuperBiiz)
    Power Supply: SeaSonic Snow Silent 750W 80+ Platinum Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply ($149.99 @ B&H)
    Case Fan: Phanteks PH-F140TS_BL 78.1 CFM 140mm Fan
    Case Fan: LEPA Vortex 14 PWM 62.7 CFM 140mm Fan ($7.59 @ Amazon)
    Case Fan: Noctua NF-A14 industrialPPC-2000 PWM 107.4 CFM 140mm Fan (Purchased For $0.00)
    Case Fan: LEPA LP-BOL12P-BL 81.5 CFM 120mm Fan ($13.99 @ SuperBiiz)
    Monitor: Asus VN247H-P 23.6" Monitor ($168.99 @ SuperBiiz)
    Other: NZXT Hue+ ($59.99)
    Other: Razer Firefly Mousepad ($59.99)
    Other: NZXT Grid+ V2 Fan Controller ($29.99)
    Other: Sound Dampening Foam ($15.99)
    Other: White Internal Cables (NZXT) ($30.00)
    Other: Custom Sleeving Option 2 ($30.00)
    Other: Custom GPU Backplates and More ($30.00)
    Total: $2221.79
    Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
    Generated by PCPartPicker 2016-08-19 09:15 EDT-0400


    - better cpu cooler and better powersupply( its really dead silent and best quality)


    Really the only higher I could go in terms of CPU coolers would be to get a liquid cooler, but I can't ever find one that's quite enough (30dB or less would be nice). Thanks for the response!
  3. This is both its a hybrid so a liquid and air cooler in one. And u wont find better than cryorig.
  4. superninja12 said:
    This is both its a hybrid so a liquid and air cooler in one. And u wont find better than cryorig.



    Okay, very good to know, I'll consider it! :)
  5. Best answer
    The Cryorig R1, Noctua NH-D15, and Phanteks TC14PE are all virtually equal, and they do well compared to most AIO units. As long as your case has good air flow, these coolers can easily match a Corsair H100i. Even a Kraken X61 only beats them by a couple of degrees.
  6. scuzzycard said:
    The Cryorig R1, Noctua NH-D15, and Phanteks TC14PE are all virtually equal, and they do well compared to most AIO units. As long as your case has good air flow, these coolers can easily match a Corsair H100i. Even a Kraken X61 only beats them by a couple of degrees.



    Okay, thank you very much, this is very helpful! One more thing, would one of those air coolers you listed be as capable of cooling an overclocked 6800k as an AIO unit? Much thanks!
  7. All 3 of them provide performance comparable to 240mm AIO.
  8. scuzzycard said:
    All 3 of them provide performance comparable to 240mm AIO.


    Awesome, thank you so much!
Ask a new question

Read More

Overclocking Water Cooling Intel i7 Intel 6800k Cooling