Solved

Is my HDD dying? What is this noise?

My HDD has been making this sound for a while, mostly right after startup (When I come to the desktop and programs are starting.) and when I open certain programs. For example when I open battle.net and start WoW, this sound is constant and is pretty loud. When I exit those programs, the sound lowers and some minutes after, the sound is nearly gone. Recently the sound has gotten worse and more consistent.

I found a youtube clip with the exact same sound.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V7yBeRfc49U
10 answers Last reply Best Answer
More about hdd dying noise
  1. Try running a SMART scan.
  2. Soon will die. When seeking HDD make that sound mostly when there end is coming.
  3. downlaod hdtune read smart info.
    run hard drive test tools. if it fails or there any warning in smart time to oder a new drive to move your data before hard failure.
  4. Will die soon. Use as little as possible and buy a drive as big or bigger, then use a cloning software to make a bootable rescue DVD/usb and clone your old drive to the new one. This minimizes risk of failure while copying the old drive as when you clone a drive the head only makes a single constant move instead of going back and forth.
  5. Run crystaldiskinfo and post a picture of the results.
    IF either or both "reallocated sectors count" and "current pending sector count" are larger than 0, your HDD is dying. The latter especially is a signal of impending failure.
  6. Hlsgsz said:
    Run crystaldiskinfo and post a picture of the results.
    IF either or both "reallocated sectors count" and "current pending sector count" are larger than 0, your HDD is dying. The latter especially is a signal of impending failure.


    Both of those are larger than 0 on all my drives though
  7. Mr Kagouris said:
    Will die soon. Use as little as possible and buy a drive as big or bigger, then use a cloning software to make a bootable rescue DVD/usb and clone your old drive to the new one. This minimizes risk of failure while copying the old drive as when you clone a drive the head only makes a single constant move instead of going back and forth.


    Windows is on my SSD. Can I not just copy the drive over to an external one and then copy back to a new HDD?
  8. As long as the external drive is big enough yeah. But again I'd recommend using cloning software to do it in order to minimize the risk of drive failure during the operation.
  9. Best answer
    Guana said:
    Hlsgsz said:
    Run crystaldiskinfo and post a picture of the results.
    IF either or both "reallocated sectors count" and "current pending sector count" are larger than 0, your HDD is dying. The latter especially is a signal of impending failure.


    Both of those are larger than 0 on all my drives though


    Your drives are alright. It's nortmal operational sound. If you want silence, get 5400RPM drives, especially if you have an SSD for Windows. High speed 7200RPM HDDs are not required for media storage.

    EDIT: you should be looking at the "raw values", and they are 0.
  10. See just like I thought people jumping to the wrong conclusions.
Ask a new question

Read More

Desktops World Of Warcraft Hard Drives