AMD FX-6300 Overclocking and Stress Testing Question

Hi all,

I am currently in the process of stress testing my AMD FX-6300 @ 4.375 MHz using Prime95. I've had the program running now for about 30 minutes and haven't crashed thus far. However, I am concerned with my CPU temperatures according to SpeedFan. It is reporting that my CPU is running at 81-83 Celcius. Is this bad? I'm using a Corsair H60 water cooler so those temps seem high to me. I overclocked using my motherboard's (ASRock Fatal1ty Gaming 990FX Killer) automatic maximum OC settings which is 20%. I'd also like to add that my CPU was running at the stock value of 3.5 MHz. I've never done this before and I want to make sure I'm doing everything correctly.

[Edit]

I think it may help if I include some pictures:

AMD Overdrive

Prime 95

CPU-Z

SpeefFan

Thank you in advance!

-Kory
5 answers Last reply
More about amd 6300 overclocking stress testing question
  1. AMD runs hot, but not that hot. I would be careful about running something like this for any extended period of time. That's on 100% load, and realistically you won't see that much in any real world application, but 82c is still pretty concerning.

    My advice is back it down a little bit, or run prime95 for about 4 more hours to be certain you're good.
  2. kaptainkuftic said:
    AMD runs hot, but not that hot. I would be careful about running something like this for any extended period of time. That's on 100% load, and realistically you won't see that much in any real world application, but 82c is still pretty concerning.

    My advice is back it down a little bit, or run prime95 for about 4 more hours to be certain you're good.


    I forgot to mention that our A/C isn't working right now which could explain the reason for these temps. I stopped the test after it's been running now for about 2 hours and my temps went down to about 45-50 celsius with a thermal margin of around 45 celsius. Would you still recommend a decrease in the OC?
  3. ktrout97 said:
    kaptainkuftic said:
    AMD runs hot, but not that hot. I would be careful about running something like this for any extended period of time. That's on 100% load, and realistically you won't see that much in any real world application, but 82c is still pretty concerning.

    My advice is back it down a little bit, or run prime95 for about 4 more hours to be certain you're good.


    I forgot to mention that our A/C isn't working right now which could explain the reason for these temps. I stopped the test after it's been running now for about 2 hours and my temps went down to about 45-50 celsius with a thermal margin of around 45 celsius. Would you still recommend a decrease in the OC?


    I would only recommend backing the voltage down if the temps remained at 80+. I would revisit this once you get A/C back, because that can change things.

    In general, just be mindful of how much stress you're putting on your rig at any given time. Don't let it stay high load for super long, you know?
  4. Ignore speed fan , its absolutely worthless for amd CPU temps.
    That 4.8c margin under load isn't great but its what I'd expect from a h60 & within safe limits under prime- what are your ambient room temps??

    Main issue is that auto overclocking is just using the fsb bus which is kind of pointless when you have an unlocked multiplier on the CPU.
    A 50mhz bus increase is a lot & can destabilise other system components - USB/PCI express lanes/ram etc.
    A prime test would not show these .
    Your CPU looks entirely stable at that speed & the load voltage is fine but it doesn't mean your whole system is.
    Take a grab of your memory & SPD tabs & upload herem
  5. madmatt30 said:
    Ignore speed fan , its absolutely worthless for amd CPU temps.
    That 4.8c margin under load isn't great but its what I'd expect from a h60 & within safe limits under prime- what are your ambient room temps??

    Main issue is that auto overclocking is just using the fsb bus which is kind of pointless when you have an unlocked multiplier on the CPU.
    A 50mhz bus increase is a lot & can destabilise other system components - USB/PCI express lanes/ram etc.
    A prime test would not show these .
    Your CPU looks entirely stable at that speed & the load voltage is fine but it doesn't mean your whole system is.
    Take a grab of your memory & SPD tabs & upload herem


    Right now my PC is running at about 40c with about a 50c margin (7% CPU usage) idle. I toned back my OC to 4.2 MHz but haven't tested it yet using Prime95 since I assume it's stable. If you would still like to see them, where would I find the "memory & SPD tabs" so I may upload a picture for you? Also, how would you go about overclocking this CPU since you mention that auto overclocking isn't the best way. Thanks!
Ask a new question

Read More

Overclocking AMD CPUs