Solved

Not enough internal usb 2.0...

Hey guys...I have a Asus Z170-a motherboard which provides 2 2.0 internal USB headers, but my H100i cooler is taking one of them and I have a wifi/Bluetooth adapter is using the other one. I just bought HUE+ lighting kit which requires one more. I cant find a splitter online what should I do? I have one usb 3.0 header unused, can I use that?
4 answers Last reply Best Answer
More about internal usb
  1. You can buy add in adapter cards that have more internal usb 2.0 ports.
    The usb3.0 header is different and incompatible.
  2. geofelt said:
    You can buy add in adapter cards that have more internal usb 2.0 ports.
    The usb3.0 header is different and incompatible.


    Although it is straightforward and cheap to get internal USB slots from a USB 3.0 header: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=9SIA8R648U4632&cm_re=usb_3_internal_header_to_usb_2_adapter-_-0Y3-001J-00027-_-Product

    Does one of the products you have connect to a standard USB type A cable, rather than a header?
  3. rhysiam said:
    geofelt said:
    You can buy add in adapter cards that have more internal usb 2.0 ports.
    The usb3.0 header is different and incompatible.


    Although it is straightforward and cheap to get internal USB slots from a USB 3.0 header: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=9SIA8R648U4632&cm_re=usb_3_internal_header_to_usb_2_adapter-_-0Y3-001J-00027-_-Product

    Does one of the products you have connect to a standard USB type A cable, rather than a header?


    I wish...all cables with one end USB type A, one end header...this link is a splitter for USB type A, I need a splitter that gives me an additional internal USB...
  4. Best answer
    Joe_Z said:
    I wish...all cables with one end USB type A, one end header...this link is a splitter for USB type A, I need a splitter that gives me an additional internal USB...


    Okay, but the Corsair link cable on the H100i is just a mini USB type B is it not? Those cables are cheap. Grab the right USB cable from the H100i to the internal USB you just "created" with the adapter I linked and it *should* work. I can't confirm any of this, unfortunately, I'm speculating, but it's all just USB so should work in theory. The good thing is that the internal header above and a cheap USB mini B -> Type A shouldn't set you back more than $10, so it's worth a try at least.
Ask a new question

Read More

USB Motherboards