Solved

Underperforming GPU and CPU 3DMark

Hello !

Hi!

I have been getting very low performances on my setup for months now, and regardless of attempts to resolve this i'm still getting very low framerate, particularly in physics heavy games.

Here is what I have tried:
- change power settings to high performance
- check temp of both gpu and cpu (seems normal even in small case)
- re-install drivers
- de-activate v-sync
- set fans to "gaming mode"
- some other small stuff ;)

Ran a Firestrike test on 3Dmark and got really low scores, particularly in physics area (also shows the specs of my pc):
http://www.3dmark.com/3dm/13075503

I really hope I don't need to send my hardware back, in fact I'm not sure I could. Any ideas guys?

Thanks so much in advance!
15 answers Last reply Best Answer
More about underperforming gpu cpu 3dmark
  1. Windows 7 is not the best at managing your hardware... Have you considered upgrading to 10?
  2. Try upgrading, if possible. There's also another possibility that something in your system's OS is faulty. Over time your stuff gets cluttered, some files might become corrupted for one reason or another. If you're not willing to upgrade, you could reinstall win 7. Grasping at straws here a bit--are your RAM sticks running in dual-channel config? Are they seated in the correct spots? What do you deem to be "normal" temps?
  3. Hey thanks for the help guys,

    I will absolutely upgrade to 10, but what's worrying is the friends I built a pc with (same build) are not getting the same problems at all....

    You might be right about OS clutter but it's strange it would affect the build that much right?

    Here are results from userbenchmark:

    UserBenchmarks: Game 32%, Desk 45%, Work 24%
    CPU: Intel Core i5-4690K - 29.2%
    GPU: Nvidia GTX 970 - 44.1%
    SSD: SanDisk Ultra II 120GB - 69.8%
    HDD: Seagate Barracuda 7200.14 1TB - 94.8%
    RAM: Corsair Vengeance LP DDR3 1600 C9 2x8GB - 43.7%
    MBD: Gigabyte GA-Z97N-Gaming 5

    the CPU in particular is running incredibly low...
  4. Ps: I have just updated to windows 10...no changes :(
  5. You've already determined the CPU runs at its rated frequency and it definitely doesn't throttle?
  6. I have not, could you walk me through how to do that?

    Thanks !
  7. Yeah. 29% is low af for that cpu. I have a I7-5500U and it gets 53%. (It's a mobile processor) Heck, My friend's Pentium B940 scores just shy of yours.

    Sounds like throttling. What are your temps while gaming? Both cpu and gpu? Do you have malware? Run Malwarebytes, nothing else can be trusted.

    For temps, don't just say 'normal'. Give the raw numbers in Celsius.
  8. Gabriel_49 said:
    I have not, could you walk me through how to do that?

    Thanks !
    Install Intel XTU (enable all hardware monitors) and check if the CPU runs at the correct frequency, if it gets too hot and/or if it throttles. That should be the first step when a CPU doesn't meet performance expectations.
  9. GhislainG said:
    Gabriel_49 said:
    I have not, could you walk me through how to do that?

    Thanks !
    Install Intel XTU (enable all hardware monitors) and check if the CPU runs at the correct frequency, if it gets too hot and/or if it throttles. That should be the first step when a CPU doesn't meet performance expectations.


    Ok through Intel XTU I got a mark of 731 (not very helpful I imagine) and then 739 under "benchmarking" tab

    The only info it gave me was this score and then a maximum processor frequency of 3,85 Ghz and highest CPU temp of 100 degree's Celsius. While the benchmark was running it did (about 50% of the time) show "yes" for Thermal Throttling ! It does not show thermal throttling when simply running (no apps apart from chrome) and the temp is around 75 degree's.

    If there is any more info from this tool you want me to post let me know where to find it, it's the only evident info that jumped out at me (never used it before)

    Thanks boys,
  10. 100C is too hot.

    Is the fan on the cooler spinning? Is the cooler seated properly? If you seated it yourself, did you apply good quality thermal paste?
  11. Update: after looking at Intel XTU info for a while while idle (downloading some updates, surfing the web) it does seem that the temp of the "package" (i'm assuming that's the gpu) is incredibly high at 100 degree's. I'm reading online that it shouldn't even hit 50 without gaming or something like that? Plus sometimes the thermal throttling is activating, for a few seconds at most every minute of so.

    Doing some research online, it seems that the fan on my processor could be badly setup? What do you guys think?
  12. Update: after looking at Intel XTU info for a while while idle (downloading some updates, surfing the web) it does seem that the temp of the "package" (i'm assuming that's the gpu) is incredibly high at 100 degree's. I'm reading online that it shouldn't even hit 50 without gaming or something like that? Plus sometimes the thermal throttling is activating, for a few seconds at most every minute of so.

    Doing some research online, it seems that the fan on my processor could be badly setup? What do you guys think?
  13. Gabriel_49 said:
    GhislainG said:
    Gabriel_49 said:
    I have not, could you walk me through how to do that?

    Thanks !
    Install Intel XTU (enable all hardware monitors) and check if the CPU runs at the correct frequency, if it gets too hot and/or if it throttles. That should be the first step when a CPU doesn't meet performance expectations.


    Ok through Intel XTU I got a mark of 731 (not very helpful I imagine) and then 739 under "benchmarking" tab

    The only info it gave me was this score and then a maximum processor frequency of 3,85 Ghz and highest CPU temp of 100 degree's Celsius. While the benchmark was running it did (about 50% of the time) show "yes" for Thermal Throttling ! It does not show thermal throttling when simply running (no apps apart from chrome) and the temp is around 75 degree's.

    If there is any more info from this tool you want me to post let me know where to find it, it's the only evident info that jumped out at me (never used it before)

    Thanks boys,

    Then your cooler is not making full contact and the CPU throttles; that explains its poor performance. Check that all pins are fully locked in place.
  14. GhislainG said:
    Gabriel_49 said:
    GhislainG said:
    Gabriel_49 said:
    I have not, could you walk me through how to do that?

    Thanks !
    Install Intel XTU (enable all hardware monitors) and check if the CPU runs at the correct frequency, if it gets too hot and/or if it throttles. That should be the first step when a CPU doesn't meet performance expectations.


    Ok through Intel XTU I got a mark of 731 (not very helpful I imagine) and then 739 under "benchmarking" tab

    The only info it gave me was this score and then a maximum processor frequency of 3,85 Ghz and highest CPU temp of 100 degree's Celsius. While the benchmark was running it did (about 50% of the time) show "yes" for Thermal Throttling ! It does not show thermal throttling when simply running (no apps apart from chrome) and the temp is around 75 degree's.

    If there is any more info from this tool you want me to post let me know where to find it, it's the only evident info that jumped out at me (never used it before)

    Thanks boys,

    Then your cooler is not making full contact and the CPU throttles; that explains its poor performance. Check that all pins are fully locked in place.



    Ok I'll look at it asap, will keep you guys updated as soon as I check
  15. Best answer
    The package is the die as a whole. If it's up that high, then your cooler is not doing it's job.
Ask a new question

Read More

GPUs CPUs