Solved

please help Configure CPU Fan

Hi, so I own a Dell Precision t3600, and got 60-75C under load with Auto fan speed turned on from the bios, I enabled Medium which is way too noisy and downloaded speedfan, could you guide me on how to configure it properly? The suggested sheet max temp is 64c by the way.
Thanks
14 answers Last reply Best Answer
More about configure cpu fan
  1. Which CPU do you have? Intel Xeon E5-2667?
  2. JQB45 said:
    Which CPU do you have? Intel Xeon E5-2667?


    Intel xeon E5-1620 Original.
  3. Since you're having cooling issues, there are three recommendations.

    1. Clean the heat sink to remove built up dust.
    2. Remove and reapply the thermal paste to the CPU.

    3. Your best option, replace the CPU heat sink and obviously the thermal paste.
  4. JQB45 said:
    Since you're having cooling issues, there are three recommendations.

    1. Clean the heat sink to remove built up dust.
    2. Remove and reapply the thermal paste to the CPU.

    3. Your best option, replace the CPU heat sink and obviously the thermal paste.



    Which cooling solution would you suggest for this machine? also considering noise of course because it is right next to me whatever I do, while I render as well.

    I use it for gaming as well, demanding titles usually, my gpu was upgraded a while back.
    The fan was replaced by dell support recently so its brand new.
  5. JQB45 said:



    So for fans, I am between one of those:
    Thermaltake Frio Silent 14

    Thermalright Macho X2

    CoolerMaster Hyper 212 EVO

    Thermalright Macho 120 Rev.A

    Or something else you may suggest that could be silent, I read that they are
    I am still not sure for if lower dba is more silent than higher ones, from what I seen the best of them is the thermaltake frio silent I could be mistaken though.
    I want to make it work in my auto profile from dell's bios so it is silent, because now it is sooo loud when set to medium and quet but hot when set to auto.
    You can check my stock coolers, they are the default ones for my precision model.
  6. above 35dBA you will notice it. below 30dBA it will be near silent.
  7. JQB45 said:
    above 35dBA you will notice it. below 30dBA it will be near silent.


    so at max speed the spec sheets are showing which dba it has, right?

    Next, which one should I use if I need a "dead silent" and "dead cool" performance? Air coolers are cheap from what I have seen over the years so it would be no issue to buy one that is both cool and silent, for my xeon I dont know the math and how much heat it can produce but I plan to keep it for future builds as well, my next build for sure.
    So lets say my next build will be an i7 6700k OCed, and need it under 60C and still be silent, which from what I understand as I am new to this stuff it is kinda difficult.
    For my xeon I currently cannot OC it, so it remains at its standards.

    Which brands should I choose from?
    In the european market..
  8. Rated at just 15W TDP and capable of cooling 280W's this seems like the best out of the Heat Sinks you mentioned.

    Thermalright Macho X2: http://www.thermalright.com/html/products/cpu_cooler/machox2.html?panel=1
  9. So I measured the space I have for it, it is 12.5 cm hight, 10cm space until it meets the ram sticks and 22 from the back of the case to the dvd metalic case unit.
    Can it fit? at least now we know the dimensions of the space above the cpu.
    As a reminder, these are the absolute max dimensions,
  10. Also it is out of stock the Macho X2 Limited Edition
  11. 12.5 cm is not enough room. You would need a medium height cooler. Which computer case do you own?

    Just remembered this is a Dell. 125mm doesn't give you a lot of space to work with.
    I'm looking for a suitable CPU cooler.
  12. Best answer
    The E5-1620 is 130W TDP. The following CPU Cooler can handle 180W TDP max.

    RAIJINTEK PALLAS BLACK, High-End Low Profile Cooler, 6pcs 6mm Heat-Pipe, Slim 14013 PWM Fan, Fully Nickel Plating, Copper Base, Total 68mm Heigth Including Fan, Supports Intel & AMD Modern CPU Sockets

    http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/raijintek-pallas-slim-cpu-cooler,4085.html#p10
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=9SIA66Z28G9982&cm_re=RAIJINTEK_PALLAS-_-9SIA66Z28G9982-_-Product

    It also comes in Red if you prefer that over Black.

    It will fit your case as it has a Total Height of 68mm.
  13. JQB45 said:
    The E5-1620 is 130W TDP. The following CPU Cooler can handle 180W TDP max.

    RAIJINTEK PALLAS BLACK, High-End Low Profile Cooler, 6pcs 6mm Heat-Pipe, Slim 14013 PWM Fan, Fully Nickel Plating, Copper Base, Total 68mm Heigth Including Fan, Supports Intel & AMD Modern CPU Sockets

    http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/raijintek-pallas-slim-cpu-cooler,4085.html#p10
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=9SIA66Z28G9982&cm_re=RAIJINTEK_PALLAS-_-9SIA66Z28G9982-_-Product

    It also comes in Red if you prefer that over Black.

    It will fix your case as it has a Total Height of 68mm.


    I was just told that my temperatures are normal while being under load, is it true?
    Also I I could go with a normal-profile one too, like cooler master or so, you could see what my stock is, it should be not a cpu box stock since they get the components separately in dell.
Ask a new question

Read More

Overclocking Heatsinks CPUs Speedfan Fan Speed Configuration