How to fix Unallocated Drive problem and Data Error CRC (Cyclic Redundancy Check)?

Hey Genius!
Got a problem with an external hard drive. Here's the case:
I took this internal 320GB WD hard drive from an old laptop. Bought an SATA internal to USB converting case. Everything was working fine. I copied around 120GB of data to this new drive. But next morning when I tried to connect my Drive to the laptop it didn't showed in My Computer. The only place it showed up was in My Devices and Disk Management. In Disk Management it was in Disk 1 and was blacked saying "Unallocated". I can't even try the Diskpart as there is no drive letter assigned to it.
Also every time I open Disk Management, a new dialog box appears asking to Initialize disk.
Is there any way to get back my data or if at least format the drive and make it useful again?
Thanks in advance. :)
11 answers Last reply
More about fix unallocated drive problem data error crc cyclic redundancy check
  1. Download Crystal Disk Info in my signature. Run it while the drive is plugged in and lets make sure the drive hasn't failed first.
  2. Hi there techalogy,

    That is really unpleasant. :(
    So, you've got an internal drive in a third party enclosure right?

    If this is the case, then there is something wrong with the enclosure or the HDD itself.

    My suggestion would be to use some data recovery tool and try to access the data stored on the drive: http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/forum/id-1644496/lost-data-recovery.html
    After that, you can test the drive with the tool that drtweak provided. It will not hurt to test the drive with WD's Data Lifeguard Diagnostic(both short & extended test) tool as well: http://products.wdc.com/support/kb.ashx?id=ukQq35

    If there tools can't access the drive, you will need to attach it internally to a desktop machine with SATA & power cables.

    Apart from all this, if you have a spare USB cable, it may be a good idea to attach the drive with another cable.

    Let us know how this goes,
    D_Know_WD :)
  3. drtweak said:
    Download Crystal Disk Info in my signature. Run it while the drive is plugged in and lets make sure the drive hasn't failed first.


    My drive got detected. What do I do next?
  4. D_Know_WD said:
    Hi there techalogy,

    That is really unpleasant. :(
    So, you've got an internal drive in a third party enclosure right?

    If this is the case, then there is something wrong with the enclosure or the HDD itself.

    My suggestion would be to use some data recovery tool and try to access the data stored on the drive: http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/forum/id-1644496/lost-data-recovery.html
    After that, you can test the drive with the tool that drtweak provided. It will not hurt to test the drive with WD's Data Lifeguard Diagnostic(both short & extended test) tool as well: http://products.wdc.com/support/kb.ashx?id=ukQq35

    If there tools can't access the drive, you will need to attach it internally to a desktop machine with SATA & power cables.

    Apart from all this, if you have a spare USB cable, it may be a good idea to attach the drive with another cable.

    Let us know how this goes,
    D_Know_WD :)


    Thank You sir, I'll surely keep you updated. Thanks for your reply. :)
  5. When you run the program does it say Caution or Bad on the USB drive?
  6. drtweak said:
    When you run the program does it say Caution or Bad on the USB drive?


    Here's the link to the screenshot:
    http://imageshack.com/a/img921/6914/YR8jra.png
  7. OH snaps. Yea that drive is pretty much gone. You may want to look at your main drive there and get a replacement for both of them. Both of those drives are going out.
  8. I would totally agree with drtweak. It seems that the drive has a bad sectors related problem.
    You have a caution mark for your OS drive as well. Most probably, it has some bad sectors as well. If it is under warranty, you can RMA it.

    D_Know_WD :)
  9. drtweak said:
    OH snaps. Yea that drive is pretty much gone. You may want to look at your main drive there and get a replacement for both of them. Both of those drives are going out.


    Ain't there no fix to this? Cause' both the drives are pretty old, so I can't claim any warranty.
    Also does this mean the drives are as good as dead?
    @D_Know_WD
    @Drtweak
  10. 1. Only "fix" is to replace the drives
    2. Yes
  11. ex_bubblehead said:
    1. Only "fix" is to replace the drives
    2. Yes


    Okay, again there is this Seagate 1TB external hard drive. Everytime I try to copy data to it or from it, it says "The content in the drive is write protected" Also there is no "Delete" option to any file.
    Any fix to this?
Ask a new question

Read More

#CRC Hard Drives Disk Management Storage Laptops Genius External Hard Drive Western Digital