Solved

PC Turns on but nothing displays on monitor

Hello, everyone. I've had my PC for almost a year now. Lightning just struck my room and it shook my room pretty badly, and it caused my computer to freeze. I force shutdown my PC and waited for the storm to die down. When I try to turn my PC on, all of the parts turn on, but nothing displays on my monitor.
I need help quickly because I have a project due at midnight, lol. Thanks for anyone who helps. All advice is appreciated.
13 answers Last reply Best Answer
More about turns displays monitor
  1. Make sure that all the wires are put correctly and hardly, maybe when you setup your PC you didn't put the wires hard enough and the storm shook the wires.
  2. Best answer
    What are your specs? Unfortunately, it's likely that a component/multiple components were killed. If you have a GPU and you have onboard graphics, turn off your system and remove it from your PC completely and try plugging your monitor into onboard graphics.
  3. Sergeant_Sneaky said:
    What are your specs? Unfortunately, it's likely that a component/multiple components were killed. If you have a GPU and you have onboard graphics, turn off your system and remove it from your PC completely and try plugging your monitor into onboard graphics.

    AMD FX-6300 3.5GHz 6-Core Processor with a Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO
    Gigabyte GA-970A-UD3P ATX AM3+ Motherboard
    Crucial 8GB (1 x 8GB) DDR3-1600 Memory
    Gigabyte Radeon R9 290 4GB WINDFORCE Video Card
    Corsair CX750M Modular 80 PLUS Bronze
  4. Tsumina said:
    Sergeant_Sneaky said:
    What are your specs? Unfortunately, it's likely that a component/multiple components were killed. If you have a GPU and you have onboard graphics, turn off your system and remove it from your PC completely and try plugging your monitor into onboard graphics.

    AMD FX-6300 3.5GHz 6-Core Processor with a Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO
    Gigabyte GA-970A-UD3P ATX AM3+ Motherboard
    Crucial 8GB (1 x 8GB) DDR3-1600 Memory
    Gigabyte Radeon R9 290 4GB WINDFORCE Video Card
    Corsair CX750M Modular 80 PLUS Bronze

    Okay, thank you. I don't believe the FX series has integrated graphics so you cannot try that. As suggested above, check all of your cables and connections to make sure they are secure.
  5. All motherboards have basic video capabilities. Could you please try plugging in the VGA cable please and see what happens.
  6. Wayfall said:
    All motherboards have basic video capabilities. Could you please try plugging in the VGA cable please and see what happens.


    Sorry for the late reply, I've been out of town. My motherboard doesn't have any video capabilities.
  7. Tsumina said:
    Wayfall said:
    All motherboards have basic video capabilities. Could you please try plugging in the VGA cable please and see what happens.


    Sorry for the late reply, I've been out of town. My motherboard doesn't have any video capabilities.

    Yeah, I think Wayfall got a bit confused, no matter, everyone makes mistakes. Did you try checking all of your cables?
  8. Sergeant_Sneaky said:
    Tsumina said:
    Wayfall said:
    All motherboards have basic video capabilities. Could you please try plugging in the VGA cable please and see what happens.


    Sorry for the late reply, I've been out of town. My motherboard doesn't have any video capabilities.

    Yeah, I think Wayfall got a bit confused, no matter, everyone makes mistakes. Did you try checking all of your cables?


    Yes, I checked all my cables, but are there any certain ones I should be looking out for?
  9. Tsumina said:
    Sergeant_Sneaky said:
    Tsumina said:
    Wayfall said:
    All motherboards have basic video capabilities. Could you please try plugging in the VGA cable please and see what happens.


    Sorry for the late reply, I've been out of town. My motherboard doesn't have any video capabilities.

    Yeah, I think Wayfall got a bit confused, no matter, everyone makes mistakes. Did you try checking all of your cables?


    Yes, I checked all my cables, but are there any certain ones I should be looking out for?

    Any loose cables could cause this issue really, it may be worth reseating all of the cables to make sure.
  10. Sergeant_Sneaky said:
    Tsumina said:
    Sergeant_Sneaky said:
    Tsumina said:
    Wayfall said:
    All motherboards have basic video capabilities. Could you please try plugging in the VGA cable please and see what happens.


    Sorry for the late reply, I've been out of town. My motherboard doesn't have any video capabilities.

    Yeah, I think Wayfall got a bit confused, no matter, everyone makes mistakes. Did you try checking all of your cables?


    Yes, I checked all my cables, but are there any certain ones I should be looking out for?

    Any loose cables could cause this issue really, it may be worth reseating all of the cables to make sure.


    I reseated my cables, but it still doesn't work.
  11. Tsumina said:
    Sergeant_Sneaky said:
    Tsumina said:
    Sergeant_Sneaky said:
    Tsumina said:
    Wayfall said:
    All motherboards have basic video capabilities. Could you please try plugging in the VGA cable please and see what happens.


    Sorry for the late reply, I've been out of town. My motherboard doesn't have any video capabilities.

    Yeah, I think Wayfall got a bit confused, no matter, everyone makes mistakes. Did you try checking all of your cables?


    Yes, I checked all my cables, but are there any certain ones I should be looking out for?

    Any loose cables could cause this issue really, it may be worth reseating all of the cables to make sure.


    I reseated my cables, but it still doesn't work.


    Do you have an old GPU that you can try?
  12. Sergeant_Sneaky said:
    Tsumina said:
    Sergeant_Sneaky said:
    Tsumina said:
    Sergeant_Sneaky said:
    Tsumina said:
    Wayfall said:
    All motherboards have basic video capabilities. Could you please try plugging in the VGA cable please and see what happens.


    Sorry for the late reply, I've been out of town. My motherboard doesn't have any video capabilities.

    Yeah, I think Wayfall got a bit confused, no matter, everyone makes mistakes. Did you try checking all of your cables?


    Yes, I checked all my cables, but are there any certain ones I should be looking out for?

    Any loose cables could cause this issue really, it may be worth reseating all of the cables to make sure.


    I reseated my cables, but it still doesn't work.


    Do you have an old GPU that you can try?


    Nope, wish I did :(
  13. Tsumina said:
    Sergeant_Sneaky said:
    Tsumina said:
    Sergeant_Sneaky said:
    Tsumina said:
    Sergeant_Sneaky said:
    Tsumina said:
    Wayfall said:
    All motherboards have basic video capabilities. Could you please try plugging in the VGA cable please and see what happens.


    Sorry for the late reply, I've been out of town. My motherboard doesn't have any video capabilities.

    Yeah, I think Wayfall got a bit confused, no matter, everyone makes mistakes. Did you try checking all of your cables?


    Yes, I checked all my cables, but are there any certain ones I should be looking out for?

    Any loose cables could cause this issue really, it may be worth reseating all of the cables to make sure.


    I reseated my cables, but it still doesn't work.


    Do you have an old GPU that you can try?


    Nope, wish I did :(

    At this point I would ask friends if they have any old cards that you can try, or I would buy a GT 210 or something. I would think that either the GPU is dead or the PSU isn't working correctly, but usually with a PSU it would shut down. At this point though, it's hard to say.

    I wouldn't usually recommend it but if possible, I would take it to a PC repair shop and see if they can find the problem, as they will most likely have spare parts to try. I don't know how much this would cost you though.
Ask a new question

Read More

Displays Monitors