Solved

External HDD : Disk Structure is corrupted and unreadable

Hi! I have some problem with my HDD it was working when suddenly says it's structure is corrupted and unreadable. What should I do to get my HDD working without losing any data?
Pictures:
http://postimg.org/image/7j6j272ep/
http://postimg.org/image/ehan850j5/
Reply to bimbaws
6 answers Last reply Best Answer
More about external hdd disk structure corrupted unreadable
  1. can u paste a screenshot of "disk management"...

    looks like d mbr went on holiday...
    Reply to Hellfire13
  2. Hellfire13 said:
    can u paste a screenshot of "disk management"...

    looks like d mbr went on holiday...

    http://postimg.org/image/sqgue0dpt/
    Reply to bimbaws
  3. Best answer
    Hi there bimbaws,

    That is really unpleasant.
    I believe you can start with something simple as just attaching the drive to another system with a different USB cable.

    In case the issue persists, you can try to access the data on the drive with some data recovery tool: http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/forum/id-1644496/lost-data-recovery.html
    If this doesn't work, you can try using some other data recovery tools as well.

    After all this, you can test the drive with some of these: http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/forum/282651-32-best-diagnostic-testing-utility
    Observe the SMART report and look for pending/reallocated and uncorrectable sectors.

    Keep in mind that if the drive shows as local disk, there is a chance that it has failed. In that case, you may not be able to access it with software tools and you will have to contact a data recovery company if the data stored on it is really important.

    Edit: I've just saw your second post. Try some data recovery tool for RAW drives: http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/forum/280932-32-hard-drive-recovery

    Cheers,
    D_Know_WD
    Reply to D_Know_WD
  4. D_Know_WD said:
    Hi there bimbaws,

    That is really unpleasant.
    I believe you can start with something simple as just attaching the drive to another system with a different USB cable.

    In case the issue persists, you can try to access the data on the drive with some data recovery tool: http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/forum/id-1644496/lost-data-recovery.html
    If this doesn't work, you can try using some other data recovery tools as well.

    After all this, you can test the drive with some of these: http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/forum/282651-32-best-diagnostic-testing-utility
    Observe the SMART report and look for pending/reallocated and uncorrectable sectors.

    Keep in mind that if the drive shows as local disk, there is a chance that it has failed. In that case, you may not be able to access it with software tools and you will have to contact a data recovery company if the data stored on it is really important.

    Edit: I've just saw your second post. Try some data recovery tool for RAW drives: http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/forum/280932-32-hard-drive-recovery

    Cheers,
    D_Know_WD

    Cant access from another PC
    Reply to bimbaws
  5. ok...

    this is one of the best softwares out there... http://www.m3datarecovery.com/
    but you need to get hold of the full version...

    this is a step by step instruction... http://www.m3datarecovery.com/data-recovery/online-help...

    the method you should be looking for is..."How to recover deleted or lost partition?"....
    it is towards the middle of the instruction page...


    once u have done that, u need to convert d file format from RAW to NTFS...
    here is a link on how to do that... http://windows.microsoft.com/en-in/windows/convert-hard-disk-partition-ntfs-format#1TC=windows-7

    there are other softwares out there which can help u in doing that as well... like Mini Tool Partition Wizard...there are plenty of softwares...just google it...
    but u cant use d disk unless u convert d file format n then format d drive...

    also u can check the health of the software through Hard Disk Sentinnell
    Reply to Hellfire13
  6. Hellfire13 said:
    ok...

    this is one of the best softwares out there... http://www.m3datarecovery.com/
    but you need to get hold of the full version...

    this is a step by step instruction... http://www.m3datarecovery.com/data-recovery/online-help...

    the method you should be looking for is..."How to recover deleted or lost partition?"....
    it is towards the middle of the instruction page...


    once u have done that, u need to convert d file format from RAW to NTFS...
    here is a link on how to do that... http://windows.microsoft.com/en-in/windows/convert-hard-disk-partition-ntfs-format#1TC=windows-7

    there are other softwares out there which can help u in doing that as well... like Mini Tool Partition Wizard...there are plenty of softwares...just google it...
    but u cant use d disk unless u convert d file format n then format d drive...

    also u can check the health of the software through Hard Disk Sentinnell

    Thanks man! I'll let you know about progress
    Reply to bimbaws
Ask a new question Answer

Read More

External Hard Drive Hard Drives Verbatim USB