Solved

PCI-E vs M.2 SSD vs SATA SSD

I'm trying to decide what storage drive would be better for me? I will be doing a lot of video editing, rendering and exporting. Recording at 1080p60.

I simply want to know about the speeds here. Thank you

Samsung Evo SSD or Intel 750 series SSD or Samsung SM951

Current Specs:
Asus Z170 Pro Gaming Motherboard
i7 6700k
GTX 980
16GB DDR4
Fractal Define R5 Case
11 answers Last reply Best Answer
More about pci ssd sata ssd
  1. PCI-E will be your BEST choice, also your most expensive. M.2 would probably be a great compromise on price/performance. Up to 10Gb/s transfers on those M.2 drives, so they are FAST. SATA SSDs are purely economical these days. Performance caps are kind of a hindrance on the real high end systems, so I'd go M.2.
  2. JobCreator said:
    PCI-E will be your BEST choice, also your most expensive. M.2 would probably be a great compromise on price/performance. Up to 10Gb/s transfers on those M.2 drives, so they are FAST. SATA SSDs are purely economical these days. Performance caps are kind of a hindrance on the real high end systems, so I'd go M.2.


    Cheers, just out of interest do you still have a 950 Pro? If so how are you finding that?
  3. Best answer
    iSteelRazorBlade said:
    I'm trying to decide what storage drive would be better for me? I will be doing a lot of video editing, rendering and exporting. Recording at 1080p60.

    I simply want to know about the speeds here. Thank you

    Samsung Evo SSD or Intel 750 series SSD or Samsung SM951

    Current Specs:
    Asus Z170 Pro Gaming Motherboard
    i7 6700k
    GTX 980
    16GB DDR4
    Fractal Define R5 Case


    Hmm, obviously NVMe either in m.2 or pcie format is the best performing, but, depending on how much and what king of video you'll be editing/rendering, i'm thinking capacity would also be a real concearn to you.
    So i guess, if you can afford it, the 750 1.2Tb would be your best solution(M.2 pcie x4 drives are currently limited to 512GB)
  4. Hlsgsz said:
    iSteelRazorBlade said:
    I'm trying to decide what storage drive would be better for me? I will be doing a lot of video editing, rendering and exporting. Recording at 1080p60.

    I simply want to know about the speeds here. Thank you

    Samsung Evo SSD or Intel 750 series SSD or Samsung SM951

    Current Specs:
    Asus Z170 Pro Gaming Motherboard
    i7 6700k
    GTX 980
    16GB DDR4
    Fractal Define R5 Case


    Hmm, obviously NVMe either in m.2 or pcie format is the best performing, but, depending on how much and what king of video you'll be editing/rendering, i'm thinking capacity would also be a real concearn to you.
    So i guess, if you can afford it, the 750 1.2Tb would be your best solution(M.2 pcie x4 drives are currently limited to 512GB)


    I'll consider it, however that is very expensive. I do intend on deleting videos from my PC once they're fully uploaded, as I don't see any need for them after that point.

    Also, I heard that the 750 series has cooling issues or something? Do you know if this is true?
  5. iSteelRazorBlade said:
    Hlsgsz said:
    iSteelRazorBlade said:
    I'm trying to decide what storage drive would be better for me? I will be doing a lot of video editing, rendering and exporting. Recording at 1080p60.

    I simply want to know about the speeds here. Thank you

    Samsung Evo SSD or Intel 750 series SSD or Samsung SM951

    Current Specs:
    Asus Z170 Pro Gaming Motherboard
    i7 6700k
    GTX 980
    16GB DDR4
    Fractal Define R5 Case


    Hmm, obviously NVMe either in m.2 or pcie format is the best performing, but, depending on how much and what king of video you'll be editing/rendering, i'm thinking capacity would also be a real concearn to you.
    So i guess, if you can afford it, the 750 1.2Tb would be your best solution(M.2 pcie x4 drives are currently limited to 512GB)


    I'll consider it, however that is very expensive. I do intend on deleting videos from my PC once they're fully uploaded, as I don't see any need for them after that point.

    Also, I heard that the 750 series has cooling issues or something? Do you know if this is true?


    The 750 has passive cooling so no issues whatsoever. The m.2 950 pro and the other one that's oem manifest thermat throttling, but only under long benchmarks. Not in real world usage. SO no issues there either.

    Though the 750 would be ideal, to be honest, i'd get a 256(or even 128) gb m.2 950 pro for my os and 2 or 3 512gm 850 EVOs and raid-0 them for my videos.
  6. I like the idea of RAIDing some SATA SSDs in combination with the boot drive, but 128GB is too small. You'll hate yourself later for not going 256 or more.

    I do still have the 950 Pro. It's very, very fast. Windows 10 boot times are about 13 seconds.
  7. Samsung does not recommend raiding any TLC drives. Stick to SLC or MLC's drives would be my advice.
  8. Okay so what I've decided to do is go for the 512GB M.2 SSD as I personally think it's the best value for what I plan on doing. On top of that, an external hard drive (1TB) to store my exported videos on.
  9. JobCreator said:
    I like the idea of RAIDing some SATA SSDs in combination with the boot drive, but 128GB is too small. You'll hate yourself later for not going 256 or more.

    I do still have the 950 Pro. It's very, very fast. Windows 10 boot times are about 13 seconds.


    I'm planning to buy a 950 Pro M.2.

    Compared to by current Toshiba's boot of 2 minutes. Holy cow
  10. normal SSD for OS and applications is all you Need for Speed. take normal HDD for Videos storage.
  11. iSteelRazorBlade said:
    I'm trying to decide what storage drive would be better for me? I will be doing a lot of video editing, rendering and exporting. Recording at 1080p60.

    I simply want to know about the speeds here. Thank you

    Samsung Evo SSD or Intel 750 series SSD or Samsung SM951

    Current Specs:
    Asus Z170 Pro Gaming Motherboard
    i7 6700k
    GTX 980
    16GB DDR4
    Fractal Define R5 Case
Ask a new question

Read More

Intel i7 Intel Evo Asus Samsung Storage DDR4 DRAM SATA PCI Express Gtx SSD Video Editing Fractal Design