Solved

i5 4460 graphic card upgrade or cpu and graphic card?

i have an i5 4460 and r9 270x and wanted to upgrade for some time now, now im wondering should i go for an i5 4460 and r9 fury or an i7 4770k and r9 390x and a new motherboard (for oc)? (graphic card has to be amd if you have suggestions)
24 answers Last reply Best Answer
More about 4460 graphic card upgrade cpu graphic card
  1. You can probably get by with just upgrading the GPU for now. The i5-4460 might not be the fastest CPU out there but it still shouldn't hold you back in most games.

If you are going to upgrade the motherboard as well it doesn't make sense to go with an i7-4770k. If you are going to invest in a new motherboard and CPU you should go with Skylake.
  2. Can't answer until we know what you want to do with it. If it's 1080p, 60Hz gaming then the CPU is good for any single GPU, so a GPU upgrade is all you need, but the Fury is more than is needed for that.

WE also need to know why you think this is necessary?

Overclocking and four core/Hyperthreading is of limited value in gaming if that's all you do.
  3. yeah why do u want to to upgrade?
    sometimes its easier to pinpoint the bottleneck with more info
  4. I don't think the Fury is necessarily a bad choice for 1080p gaming. It might be a little overkill now but games are always asking for more power as time passes. Most people would have called the 780Ti overkill for 1080p gaming when it came out too but it's not anymore.

That doesn't mean the OP has to go with a Fury. The 390 and 390x are good choices for 1080p too and since they are cheaper it won't hurt as much to upgrade in a couple years.
  5. DonkeyOatie said:
    Can't answer until we know what you want to do with it. If it's 1080p, 60Hz gaming then the CPU is good for any single GPU, so a GPU upgrade is all you need, but the Fury is more than is needed for that.

WE also need to know why you think this is necessary?

Overclocking and four core/Hyperthreading is of limited value in gaming if that's all you do.

i am planing on playing 144hz 1080p i was just wondering, performance wise, if i should upgrade my cpu or go for a better graphics card instead.
  6. L0stChild said:
    yeah why do u want to to upgrade?

I assumed this was an upgrade for gaming performance. In that case it's pretty clear that the 270x is a serious bottleneck.
  7. king3pj said:
    L0stChild said:
    yeah why do u want to to upgrade?

I assumed this was an upgrade for gaming performance. In that case it's pretty clear that the 270x is a serious bottleneck.

yes i was on a very strict budget when i bought it, but any way you think the fury wont be bottle necked by the i5 4460?
    and from the options i wrote what one will give me more fps in games?
  8. r9 390 if u got the nut sac to run it
    with my new system im running a 380 i havent tried any gfx intensive games yet but from what i see its probably going to do for you. if it doesnt then ur gonna have to fork out double for the next tier gfx cards
  9. GTX 780ti is only a little less powerful than the GTX 970, and both are plenty for 1080p 60Hz. We need to know what and why to give a meaningful answer.
  10. DonkeyOatie said:
    GTX 780ti is only a little less powerful than the GTX 970, and both are plenty for 1080p 60Hz. We need to know what and why to give a meaningful answer.

NO NVIDIAS!
    he wants A M D
  11. L0stChild said:
    DonkeyOatie said:
    GTX 780ti is only a little less powerful than the GTX 970, and both are plenty for 1080p 60Hz. We need to know what and why to give a meaningful answer.

NO NVIDIAS!
    he wants A M D

Please pay attention to why I made that post, by reading the whole thread. I was not suggesting the NVidia cards to the OP.

If the OP wants QHD (http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/best-gpus,4380.html) then the 390X is needed to max it out today, and if VR is a future possibility, the Fury would make sense too.

However, the future moves fast and I would go with the 390X/ 4460 planning for another upgrade in two years time.
  12. DonkeyOatie said:
    L0stChild said:
    DonkeyOatie said:

NO NVIDIAS!
    he wants A M D

Please pay attention to why I made that post, by reading the whole thread. I was not suggesting the NVidia cards to the OP.

OP specifically mentioned it gfx card has to be amd.
    so nvidia talk is irrelevant im just saying it is what it is
  13. L0stChild said:
    DonkeyOatie said:
    L0stChild said:
    DonkeyOatie said:

NO NVIDIAS!
    he wants A M D

OP specifically mentioned it gfx card has to be amd.
    so nvidia talk is irrelevant im just saying it is what it is

Then be consistent and respond to the person who mentioned the GTX 780ti first, and it's not irrelevant in the context.

If you are going to get into a huff, make sure it's the right huff :)
  14. guys lets not get off topic the simple question is what one of the builds will be a better performer in terms of fps? and will the i5 4460 be holding back the fury?
  15. Between the two choices presented, I expect that 4460 + Fury would produce the best fps performance at 144hz 1080p.

IMO, a CPU upgrade will not offer much performance gain in the scenario presented. Therefore, I would focus to on the GPU. My advice is not to go with either of the two options in the OP. I think the Fury is overkill at 1080p and my recommendation would be to pair a 390x with the 4460.
  16. Alpine89 said:
    Between the two choices presented, I expect that 4460 + Fury would produce the best fps performance at 144hz 1080p.

IMO, a CPU upgrade will not offer much performance gain in the scenario presented. Therefore, I would focus to on the GPU. My advice is not to go with either of the two options in the OP. I think the Fury is overkill at 1080p and my recommendation would be to pair a 390x with the 4460.

thats an interesting argument, i thought i should buy a fury so i will be able to compete with the graphics card releasing in a year or so.
  17. The 4460 will not significantly limit the Fury at 1440p (some games will be CPU limited for most CPUs) The 'model' is the same. The GPU does most of the display work.

I repeat my earlier recommendation.

If the OP wants QHD (http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/best-gpus,4380.html) then the 390X is needed to max it out today, and if VR is a future possibility, the Fury would make sense too.

However, the future moves fast and I would go with the 390X/ 4460 planning for another upgrade in two years time.
  18. the fury has no gains in the 1080
    those gfx cards along with 390s are put in full potential in 2k-4k

of ur going full blown i7 6th gen oc with 390 dont even bother upgrading a 4th gen whats the point.
  19. L0stChild said:
    the fury has no gains in the 1080

of ur going full blown i7 6th gen oc with 390 dont even bother upgrading a 4th gen whats the point.

The OP has said that they plan to do 144hz, which is close to a QHD load at 1080p, so...

I'm thinking that they will want at least 120FPS.
  20. the thing is whats the point upgrading now for a decent gpu that im gonna throw away any way, if you think i should wait before i do a full upgrade then i should just wait untill the end of the year for the new amd stuff to release no?
  21. any way im leaning more to buying the fury now and upgrading to a better processor in the future and even possibly going crossfire with another fury in the far future. even tho i do think that future proof wise i should wait for the new gpus to release and then buy a decent one with a decent processor (i will probably have money for both when they release.
  22. DonkeyOatie said:

To be clear, I wasn't trying to say that the 780 Ti is bad for 1080p today. In fact I was saying the opposite. My point was that when it came out people would have called it overkill for 1080p but today it fits 1080p gaming nicely.

Before Lostchild throws another fit, neither of us were trying to recommend Nvidia GPUs. I was simply using the 780 Ti as an example for the discussion about whether the Fury is overkill or not. Sure, right now it probably is. In a year or two it will probably follow the 780 Ti's lead and be on par with other, mid-range 1080p cards. All I was trying to say is that it won't be overkill for long.

Then comes the debate on whether you are better off buying a $500 Fury now and having a card that can stay relevant longer or buying a $330 r9 390 now and putting the extra money towards upgrading to a new card in that price class in 2 years that is stronger than the Fury.

I would probably avoid the 390x all together because the price difference between that and the Fury isn't that much. On top of that a 390 can be overclocked to close most of that gap.
  23. DonkeyOatie said:
    L0stChild said:
    the fury has no gains in the 1080

The OP has said that they plan to do 144hz, which is close to a QHD load at 1080p, so...

I'm thinking that they will want at least 120FPS.

144hz hm well im out ranked cuz i dont run monitors.. is this the new era of monitors?
    ive always been gaming on hdtv since hdtv came out
  24. Best answer
    There's always new stuff coming out. You are always going to replace your CPU sooner or later. The more you spend on it, the more reluctant you will be to replace it. If you can last to the end of the year, I'd certainly want to see what happens. (NVidia's Pascal release and AMD's response will move the market and reset price/performance standards) Since VR needs 1080p 90Hz, we can expect to see cards intended for that.

I move my old GPUs to secondary or family/relatives/children's computers.
Ask a new question

Read More

Graphics Cards CPUs Intel i5