Solved

FX 8350 with msi 970 motherboard overclock help

So my main game, planetside 2 has been running pretty badly so i figured i'd give it some extra clock speed to play around with, the only problem is that i have never done overclocking before. My goal is around 4.5 ghz so could if someone happens to use the same motherboard and cpu as me and tell me the exact config i'd be really grateful
21 answers Last reply Best Answer
More about 8350 msi 970 motherboard overclock
  1. Best answer
    A 4.5Ghz overclock should be fairly simple for your setup and only require minor bumps in voltage. You need to have aftermarket cooling to overclock the FX 8350. The stock heat sink that comes with it is barely enough to keep it cool at stock. If you haven't already gotten one, you will need one. The best budget aftermarket cooler is the Cryorig H7 and you should be able to hit 4.5Ghz with it. For more cooling you would have to step up to the Cryorig H5 (should get you to 4.7 - 4.8Ghz) or extreme overclocking NH-D15 (for 5Ghz+ if you chip can overclock that high). Overclocking is all dependent on how well your chip is binned, how well it did in the silicon (chip) lottery.

The best first step is to understand overclocking. Read over the following guide and if you have any questions make sure to ask.

http://www.overclock.net/t/1348623/amd-bulldozer-and-piledriver-overclocking-guide-asus-motherboard

You shouldn't have much of a problem hitting 4.5Ghz, but if you want more you need to have an 80+ Gold psu 650W or better.

This is also a good video to watch as an introduction into overclocking the FX 8350:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MckeAmnDeTk
  2. devor110 said:
    So my main game, planetside 2 has been running pretty badly so i figured i'd give it some extra clock speed to play around with, the only problem is that i have never done overclocking before. My goal is around 4.5 ghz so could if someone happens to use the same motherboard and cpu as me and tell me the exact config i'd be really grateful

Unfortunately no one can give you "these are the settings you need to use" and just enter them in bios. Every processor overclocks differently, they all need varying voltages to hit the same clock speeds and depending on the voltages will hit thermal limits at different stages. You really have to go though the guides, follow the advise and find the best settings for your processor. If you have any questions while overclocking be sure to ask, the only "stupid" question is the one not asked.
  3. 970 chipset boards will be limited with overclocking an 8 core cpu as they cant handle the power draw. Don't aim for a target overclock, instead just increase clock speed 100-200 mhz at a time till it becomes unstable making sure temps are ok, then try to get it stable again by increasing voltage. Rinse and repeat. Just careful because the VRM's on the motherboard may be a problem, especially if they dont have heat sinks.
  4. iam2thecrowe said:
    970 chipset boards will be limited with overclocking an 8 core cpu as they cant handle the power draw. Don't aim for a target overclock, instead just increase clock speed 100-200 mhz at a time till it becomes unstable making sure temps are ok, then try to get it stable again by increasing voltage. Rinse and repeat. Just careful because the VRM's on the motherboard may be a problem, especially if they dont have heat sinks.

+1 if you have a 970 msi gaming motherboard you will have heat sinks on VRMs. A msi 970 gaming motherboard (with 8+2 power phase) should be able to get to 4.5 - 4.8Ghz. Most msi 970s I deal with anymore are all gaming motherboards with VRM cooling (heat sinks) so I tend to assume people are talking about a gaming motherboard.
  5. all right got it up to 4,5 seems stable also increased voltages a bit hopefully it wont crash. btw how much can this amount of overclocking degrade the lifespan of the hardware?
  6. devor110 said:
    all right got it up to 4,5 seems stable also increased voltages a bit hopefully it wont crash. btw how much can this amount of overclocking degrade the lifespan of the hardware?

Really impossible to say, lifespan will also be effected by how hot your processor is running and how many volts you overclocked with. Typically its nothing worth worrying about as by the time the processor will die (even overclocked) its time for an update / upgrade anyway.

Also now that you are happy with you 4.5Ghz overclock make sure to stress test it with Prime 95 or OCCT to ensure stability.
  7. I've overclocked every cpu i have ever owned and havent killed one yet. Just dont push it too far. 4.5ghz is a good OC for that cpu, if you go further you will find you need to ramp up the voltage significantly which is what can damage the CPU. Just make sure to have good cooling and case airflow.
  8. iam2thecrowe said:
    I've overclocked every cpu i have ever owned and havent killed one yet. Just dont push it too far. 4.5ghz is a good OC for that cpu, if you go further you will find you need to ramp up the voltage significantly which is what can damage the CPU. Just make sure to have good cooling and case airflow.

currently the cpu is at 45-50 when idle so i might wanna get the voltage down a bit
  9. devor110 said:
    iam2thecrowe said:
    I've overclocked every cpu i have ever owned and havent killed one yet. Just dont push it too far. 4.5ghz is a good OC for that cpu, if you go further you will find you need to ramp up the voltage significantly which is what can damage the CPU. Just make sure to have good cooling and case airflow.

currently the cpu is at 45-50 when idle so i might wanna get the voltage down a bit

What is your current Vcore and what CPU cooler are you using?
  10. Redneck5439 said:
    devor110 said:
    iam2thecrowe said:

What is your current Vcore and what CPU cooler are you using?

what is a vcore? and i have just upgraded to hyper 212 evo and actually the performance issues started when i got my pc back after having it installed
  11. Vcore is your CPU voltage as set in bios. Saying that you had a Hyper 212 EVO installed what are your temps when under load? If the heat sink wasn't installed properly you may be experiencing thermal throttling. 45-50C at idle is very hot and I was assuming you overclocked to 4.5Ghz on the stock cooler. With 45-50C temps at idle I wouldn't even try to put a load on it as it will be shooting about 70C (the thermal max of the processor). You will have to test the installation of the Hyper 212 EVO, best way is to take your PC back to stock settings and run a stability test (Prime 95 or OCCT) and see what your load temperatures are at stock.
  12. Redneck5439 said:
    Vcore is your CPU voltage as set in bios. Saying that you had a Hyper 212 EVO installed what are your temps when under load? If the heat sink wasn't installed properly you may be experiencing thermal throttling. 45-50C at idle is very hot and I was assuming you overclocked to 4.5Ghz on the stock cooler. With 45-50C temps at idle I wouldn't even try to put a load on it as it will be shooting about 70C (the thermal max of the processor). You will have to test the installation of the Hyper 212 EVO, best way is to take your PC back to stock settings and run a stability test (Prime 95 or OCCT) and see what your load temperatures are at stock.

turns out the the OC i did was in fact unstable just didnt discover it at first now back to stock values but as i remember i got around 60 when under load
  13. devor110 said:
    Redneck5439 said:
    Vcore is your CPU voltage as set in bios. Saying that you had a Hyper 212 EVO installed what are your temps when under load? If the heat sink wasn't installed properly you may be experiencing thermal throttling. 45-50C at idle is very hot and I was assuming you overclocked to 4.5Ghz on the stock cooler. With 45-50C temps at idle I wouldn't even try to put a load on it as it will be shooting about 70C (the thermal max of the processor). You will have to test the installation of the Hyper 212 EVO, best way is to take your PC back to stock settings and run a stability test (Prime 95 or OCCT) and see what your load temperatures are at stock.

turns out the the OC i did was in fact unstable just didnt discover it at first now back to stock values but as i remember i got around 60 when under load

Anything under 62C under load is good, should also be monitoring your temperatures with AMD Overdrive as other programs have been knows to report false temperatures. Only use Overdrive to monitor your system, never to actually overclock it.

What is your CPU voltage and load temperature at stock? Typically if your system is unstable its because you need to add more voltage to the CPU, and you may not have enough thermal overhead to do that. Your stock Vcore and load temperatures will give us a good idea of how far you should be able to overclock your system. You may be only able to get 4.4Ghz with the Hyper 212 EVO.
  14. Redneck5439 said:
    devor110 said:
    Redneck5439 said:

Anything under 62C under load is good, should also be monitoring your temperatures with AMD Overdrive as other programs have been knows to report false temperatures. Only use Overdrive to monitor your system, never to actually overclock it.

What is your CPU voltage and load temperature at stock? Typically if your system is unstable its because you need to add more voltage to the CPU, and you may not have enough thermal overhead to do that. Your stock Vcore and load temperatures will give us a good idea of how far you should be able to overclock your system. You may be only able to get 4.4Ghz with the Hyper 212 EVO.

it is around 1,3 but it is constantly changing can you tell me which one i should be looking for on this motherboard? pictures : http://imgur.com/a/pvpHH ( i took 3 screenshots and as you can see they show different cpu voltages)
  15. devor110 said:
    Redneck5439 said:
    devor110 said:
    Redneck5439 said:

it is around 1,3 but it is constantly changing can you tell me which one i should be looking for on this motherboard? pictures : http://imgur.com/a/pvpHH ( i took 3 screenshots and as you can see they show different cpu voltages)

The reason why your Vcore is all over the place is because its on AUTO. You have to take it off AUTO to manual settings. There are 3 settings for Vcore - AUTO, MANUAL, and OFFSET. You want to be on manual and set it around 1.3V, then see how high you can set the multiplier stable at 1.3V and find out where your temps are at that point to see if you can get a higher overclock.
  16. Redneck5439 said:
    devor110 said:
    Redneck5439 said:
    devor110 said:
    Redneck5439 said:

The reason why your Vcore is all over the place is because its on AUTO. You have to take it off AUTO to manual settings. There are 3 settings for Vcore - AUTO, MANUAL, and OFFSET. You want to be on manual and set it around 1.3V, then see how high you can set the multiplier stable at 1.3V and find out where your temps are at that point to see if you can get a higher overclock.

I only get options to lower or raise the voltage and by how much for example +0.015 there is a +0.000 option but Idk if that is my vote I won't be testing it now as its midnight here currently but I am still eager to be tought
  17. In bios is you left mouse click on [AUTO] in the CPU voltage line does it give you options such as manual or offset, or any other option?
  18. Redneck5439 said:
    In bios is you left mouse click on [AUTO] in the CPU voltage line does it give you options such as manual or offset, or any other option?

these are all the options i get double checked http://imgur.com/a/7a7Bp
  19. devor110 said:
    Redneck5439 said:
    In bios is you left mouse click on [AUTO] in the CPU voltage line does it give you options such as manual or offset, or any other option?

Okay, with the MSI gaming board if you choose +0.000000 setting you are at manual stock voltage setting- it should read 1.328V and say [+0.000000]. If you then need a bump in voltage you would choose +0.005000 setting, which would be your first voltage bump. I would set your multiplier at 20.5 and your Vcore (CPU voltage) at +0.000000, if stable increase the multiplier until it becomes unstable then raise the CPU voltage to +0.005000 and see if stable, if stable increase the multiplier till unstable then increase the CPU voltage by one step again until you hit your thermal max or you see your Vcore is 1.5V+.
  20. If you already haven't done so as well I would also disable HPC mode. I've had great success with some motherboards and chips with disabling HPC mode and being able to get better clocks at lower Vcore. If you dont notice a difference you can always re-enable it later.
  21. Redneck5439 said:
    devor110 said:
    Redneck5439 said:

Okay, with the MSI gaming board if you choose +0.000000 setting you are at stock voltage. If you then need a bump in voltage you would choose +0.005000 setting, which would be your first voltage bump. I would set your multiplier at 20.5 and your Vcore (CPU voltage) at +0.000000, if stable increase the multiplier until it becomes unstable then raise the CPU voltage to +0.005000 and see if stable, if stable increase the multiplier till unstable then increase the CPU voltage by one step again until you hit your thermal max or you see your Vcore is 1.5V+.

All right thanks for all the support i will do this later today (sicne its past midnight). But i mainly want to overclock because whenever my cpu gets put under heavy load it fails ever since i got my new cooler. By failing under heavy load i mean when i'm playing planetside and the game uses 50% of the cpu's processing power(according to task manager) my fps gets halved or sometimes gets down to 10 stays there for 10-30 secs and resets and i have absolutely no idea why because THAT DIDN'T HAPPEN BEFORE. my motherboard was taken out of teh PC's case while installing i think so some bios settings might have been reset but with the help of some other guys i set it to the msot optimal values and still no improvement OCing is really jsut a last ditch effort cuz i'm kinda left choiceless. If OCing doesn't solve it i'm gonna go to the guy who installed the cooler and ask him on every single move he even though about. If that doesn't help either then its over so i'm kinda disappointed and frustrated, but again thank you for all your help. i really should get some sleep tough
Ask a new question

Read More

Overclocking MSI-Microstar CPUs Motherboards