Solved

Computer shuts down during gaming after a Windows reinstall and CMOS reset

Hello there people from Tom's Hardware!

I've got an issue going on with my custom-built computer. Ever since I reinstalled Windows and reset my BIOS by popping out the battery I'm having random shutdowns during gameplay.

Think about games like Just Cause 3, Rainbow Six: Siege. The lighter games have no issue.

The computer just shuts down abruptly and then reboots. Here are my specifications:

Any kind of help would be greatly appreciated!
14 answers Last reply Best Answer
More about computer shuts gaming windows reinstall cmos reset
  1. Tried another PSU?

    CPU temperatures?
  2. chazzahancock said:
    Tried another PSU?

    CPU temperatures?

    Here are the temperatures:



    Haven't tried a different PSU, but I changed up the frequency of my RAM in the bios since it's capable of 1600mHz and it was set to 1333mHz, no issues yet.
  3. If that is idle, then turn off your computer straight away, go order some thermal paste and re-apply.

    If that is load do the same thing I said above, your temperatures are above 80.

    If you are overclocking remove the overclock.
  4. chazzahancock said:
    If that is idle, then turn off your computer straight away, go order some thermal paste and re-apply.

    If that is load do the same thing I said above, your temperatures are above 80.

    If you are overclocking remove the overclock.


    That is in fact under load and that's with watercooling, too.

    I'll try and get some thermal paste. Any recommendations?
  5. Arctic silver 5.

    Never let your CPU go above 75. If possible not above 70.

    What watercooler have you got AIO or custom?

    80 is 10 degrees away from 90 which is a no go zone for any computer.
  6. chazzahancock said:
    Arctic silver 5.

    Never let your CPU go above 75. If possible not above 70.

    What watercooler have you got AIO or custom?

    80 is 10 degrees away from 90 which is a no go zone for any computer.


    It's a Corsair H80. Came with pre-applied thermal paste. Thing is, I think the airflow in my computer is really, well, crap. Because I'm using an mATX case. There's no place for the wiring to go. I'm thinking of upgrading to a mid-tower. Any recommendations?
  7. If you are using a watercooler regardless of airflow it shouldn't be 80.

    But if you want a decent mid tower, go look at the NZXT cases they are nice build quality.

    Going to a mid tower means you might want to consider upgrading your motherboard to a ATX.
  8. chazzahancock said:
    If you are using a watercooler regardless of airflow it shouldn't be 80.

    But if you want a decent mid tower, go look at the NZXT cases they are nice build quality.

    Going to a mid tower means you might want to consider upgrading your motherboard to a ATX.


    Could it be that the cooler is defective? I've had noise issues ever since I've had it.
  9. I am using the 105h with the pre applied and my temps never peak over 65, and I have a overclock at 4.8ghz on a intel i7 6700k.

    Adjust the tightness of the pump and see if the temps lower, if they decrease tighten it a bit more.
  10. Do this when PC is off and boot into BIOS if it tells you the temperatures after you have tightened it
  11. chazzahancock said:
    Do this when PC is off and boot into BIOS if it tells you the temperatures after you have tightened it


    Alright, tightened it. Here's the results.

    Idle temps (after booting up all my software):



    Load temps while playing Just Cause 3:



    I think that did it. I was scared to tighten it further since it wouldn't budge anymore. So thank you very much, I'll see how this goes!
  12. Looks much safer now.

    The rule for how tight it should be, if you have to use more than 40% of your strength to tighten it don't.

    I reckon you could probably get lower temperatures, but they look fine if you aren't overclocking.

    If you are concerned about the temperature, please do get a mid tower case, more fans and replace the thermal paste.

    Other than that let us know if the computer shuts down any more.
  13. chazzahancock said:
    Looks much safer now.

    The rule for how tight it should be, if you have to use more than 40% of your strength to tighten it don't.

    I reckon you could probably get lower temperatures, but they look fine if you aren't overclocking.

    If you are concerned about the temperature, please do get a mid tower case, more fans and replace the thermal paste.

    Other than that let us know if the computer shuts down any more.


    Okay it still randomly shuts down even though the temperatures are low during load. I've tried a memory test and it appears there's no issue there, so the only thing I can think of is that there's something wrong with the PSU. Even though there's enough voltage and power going to my parts.

    EDIT: Okay so I went into the system event viewer and I found out that there's an error at the exact same time my computer dies.

  14. Best answer
    WUDFRd is a service and it is called Windows Driver Foundation. Try this:
    Click on the start button and type: services.msc in the search box and then the Enter Key
    This should open a list of services.
    Find the Windows Driver Foundation on the list.
    Right click and go to the properties for the start up type and set it to automatic.
    Exit and reboot.
Ask a new question

Read More

Gaming Windows Computers Systems Shut downs CMOS