Every time i raise CPU voltage my PC restart on windows performance index test

Hi people. Every time i raise CPU voltage and when i try windows performance index test, my PC restart. In the ALU part of the test.
I've tried the overclock genie because its more safe but its the same thing...PC restart. Only when i reset BIOS i can complete the test. But i want to overclock. PLEASE SOMEONE?? :??:

CASE: Zalman z11 Plus HF1
MOB: Msi 970 Gaming
CPU: FX6300 3.5Ghz with CM Hyper 212 EVO
RAM: G.Skill 8GB 2133Mhz
GPU: Msi 560 Hawk
PSU: CM G750M 80 PLUS Bronze
HDD: WD 500GB
28 answers Last reply
More about time raise cpu voltage restart windows performance index test
  1. Have you checked the thermal margins with AOD when increasing the CPU voltage?
  2. oh yap. I use HWINFO64 and MSI Afterburner. Idle temps around 32º CPU and GPU.
  3. At first i suspected about unstable overclock. But then a use overclock genie. In one click the BIOS does the job for me and i get 4.1Ghz. And when i do the windows performance index test my PC restart. Only when a don't change the voltage the system seems ok. I don't understand why... But i'm sure is something about the CPU voltage.
  4. Temperatures can't be measured accurately; only thermal margins are. Did you test with another PSU?
  5. hmm no. I don't have another one. I bought all parts in 10/2014. Never had an issue. Oh and other thing. Yesterday i tried to overclock only the ram at 1866 - 1.60v. 6 hours of testing with Prime95 and 0 errors. Then i tried the windows performance index and the PC reiniciated again...
    Is the same for CPU. No issues with stress testing but reiniciated with windows performance index. I don't see more options guys :??: :??: :??:

    CASE: Zalman z11 Plus HF1
    MOB: Msi 970 Gaming
    CPU: FX6300 3.5Ghz with CM Hyper 212 EVO
    RAM: G.Skill 8GB 2133Mhz
    GPU: Msi 560 Hawk
    PSU: CM G750M 80 PLUS Bronze
    HDD: WD 500GB
  6. If the issue occurs when running the ALU part of the rather useless Windows performance index, then RMA your CPU.
  7. Yes its in ALU part of the test. No other way?? :( Can be motherboard?
  8. The ALU is on the CPU, not on the motherboard.
  9. oh man.............. :(
  10. I'm a bit surprised only the Windows ALU test fails while Prime95 Small FFTs doesn't as it gets the FPU quite busy. I presume that you run "winsat prepop" and the DirectX ALU causes the issue? If so, it could also be DirectX that has an issue.
  11. "I'm a bit surprised only the Windows ALU test fails while Prime95 Small FFTs doesn't as it gets the FPU quite busy."
    That is my question since the beginning of this problem!
    I ran "winsat prepop" and fails as always in ALU part (no overclock, and BIOS reset).
    So the problem can be solved by formatting the HDD ? :)
  12. I'm actually angry about this! I was always careful about temps (never higher than 60º 100% load). Always with careful to increase clock and voltage only a bit... And now a can't even overclock to 3.6 without crashing in damn ALU test.
  13. In your original post you didn't clearly indicate that you were running winsat and that the DirectX ALU test failed (at least it wasn't obvious to me).

    To be more specific, DirectX could be the issue, but if it runs fine when you don't overclock or raise the CPU voltage, then the CPU most likely is the issue. Why do you need to raise the CPU voltage? What voltage is applied?
  14. You can't always get a big overclock on a CPU

    I have two identical AMD Phenom II computers. One of them I overclocked to 4GHz (which is very good), the other would not go above 3.4Ghz no matter what I tried.
    I have a 3570k with a big cooler and expensive motherboard, the internet said 4.7Ghz was possible, but I couldn't get it beyond 4.3GHz. It passed stress tests at this speed, but was not reliable in normal use, so I was forced to drop speed to 4.1Ghz to get stability.
    With some CPU you are lucky, and some you are unlucky.
  15. Well my cpu was at 4.50Ghz with 1.44v stable, no issues in gaming. Then i tried the Windows performance index test (curiosity only) and i notice this issue. That is my main problem. So i will try to Format. Thanks for all the info GhislainG and i'm sorry for my bad english. I'll came back later.
  16. lodders said:
    You can't always get a big overclock on a CPU

    I have two identical AMD Phenom II computers. One of them I overclocked to 4GHz (which is very good), the other would not go above 3.4Ghz no matter what I tried.
    I have a 3570k with a big cooler and expensive motherboard, the internet said 4.7Ghz was possible, but I couldn't get it beyond 4.3GHz. It passed stress tests at this speed, but was not reliable in normal use, so I was forced to drop speed to 4.1Ghz to get stability.
    With some CPU you are lucky, and some you are unlucky.


    But in my case i was able to complete windows performance index test with 4.5Ghz back in days. And now i'm not.
  17. Nemesis_NO9 said:
    lodders said:
    You can't always get a big overclock on a CPU

    I have two identical AMD Phenom II computers. One of them I overclocked to 4GHz (which is very good), the other would not go above 3.4Ghz no matter what I tried.
    I have a 3570k with a big cooler and expensive motherboard, the internet said 4.7Ghz was possible, but I couldn't get it beyond 4.3GHz. It passed stress tests at this speed, but was not reliable in normal use, so I was forced to drop speed to 4.1Ghz to get stability.
    With some CPU you are lucky, and some you are unlucky.


    But in my case i was able to complete windows performance index test with 4.5Ghz back in days. And now i'm not.


    How high was your Vcore when you were running a 4.5GHz?
  18. 1.44v
  19. at 1.43 the six core fails
  20. 4.50 GHz is a 1 GHz overclock; won't it be stable if you lower the voltage a bit? Presuming the CPU is the issue, I'm not sure AMD will accept to replace the CPU because it fails a test only when overclocked to 4.5 GHz with 1.44V (the highest safe voltage apparently is 1.475V).
  21. Nemesis_NO9 said:
    at 1.43 the six core fails
    Do they fail at 4.4 GHz?
  22. No. It fails with only 4.1ghz (BIOS SAFEST OVERCLOCK GENIE). Or only with 3.6Ghz. I can't mess with nothing.
  23. I can only complete the windows performance index test when i reset the bios
  24. Nemesis_NO9 said:
    No. It fails with only 4.1ghz (BIOS SAFEST OVERCLOCK GENIE). Or only with 3.6Ghz. I can't mess with nothing.
    Try to RMA the CPU; nothing else can fit a CPU that's a bad overclocker.
  25. Hello again people!!! I'm just passing to say a BIG BIG THANK YOU ALL!
    I RMA my processor and after a BIGGEST month of wating here he is... A new FX6300 and no more problems.
    Again thank you all for the reply's. PEACE!
  26. It sure took a long time.
  27. I dont wanna to think about it anymore :) :) :)
  28. my prescious... >:o
Ask a new question

Read More

Overclocking Performance Windows CPUs