Can a dying PSU make other components produce coilwhine?

Im a bit confused at the moment. Im having all kinds of weird sounds in my computer. My CPU seems to coil whine when i start up a game.

I also have a ROG Front Base and when i plugin my headset or speakers into the front base, im hearing all kinds of computer sounds, some of i hear coming out of my pc when not wearing a headset. When I remove the sata power from the front base all the weird sounds are basicly gone. The thing doesnt seem to need the sata power.

Sometimes my wireless card is making sounds too whenever it uses bandwidth.

Sometimes in games (only tried csgo) the game will stutter for just a second. This only happens once every 5-10 minutes. (Pc had never ever had this before these sounds)

The power in bios seems to be good thought. 12v is just above 12v 3v is just above 3v etc. Removing hardware like my 2nd gpu doesnt improve a thing.

I dont have an extra power supply but before i buy a new one. How likely is my psu the cause of this madness?
Can a PSU tranfer coil whine to other hardware?

Relevant specs

Asus Maximus VII Hero
I7-4790k
Corsair hydro h110 gt
SLI Asus Strix 970
Corsair RM750
9 answers Last reply
More about dying psu make components produce coilwhine
  1. its definitely a possibility it could be affecting other components. the stuttering is most likely not associated with this though.

    if you haven't seen this video you should watch it:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T7HsXHqtxrI
  2. N3rdR4ge said:
    its definitely a possibility it could be affecting other components. the stuttering is most likely not associated with this though.

    if you haven't seen this video you should watch it:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T7HsXHqtxrI


    CPU sounds exactly like this

    https://youtu.be/mfZFAM8mHYor

    Some games louder than others.

    This is a video of my wireless card. https://youtu.be/jzrpSAWQY-I
  3. cpu thing seems normal, but the wifi card is strange.

    try going into power options
    select high performance
    change plan settings
    change advanced power settings
    processor power management
    minimum processor state
    change to 5%

    see if that helps at all.
  4. N3rdR4ge said:
    its definitely a possibility it could be affecting other components. the stuttering is most likely not associated with this though.

    if you haven't seen this video you should watch it:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T7HsXHqtxrI

    That seems to reduce the cpu sound. Has no effect on the rog front base fan controller
  5. ah the rest are probably affected by the psu then. a replacement might help, but also might make no difference. ive had plenty of noise problems with my machines. thats why i knew the cpu trick.
  6. N3rdR4ge said:
    ah the rest are probably affected by the psu then. a replacement might help, but also might make no difference. ive had plenty of noise problems with my machines. thats why i knew the cpu trick.


    Might be worth a try. Thinking if the RM 850 then and if it doesnt help i could sell the RM750
  7. more wattage wont help you with this setup and wattage is not your issue. i'd get a different make/model. it could just come down to that one component you mentioned not working well with the rm series. on the other hand, that component could cause the same noise problem with every brand/model. all you can do is remove the culprit part or try a different psu. either way if you keep that front panel connected you may never find a fix. what front panel are you referring to by the way?
  8. N3rdR4ge said:
    more wattage wont help you with this setup and wattage is not your issue. i'd get a different make/model. it could just come down to that one component you mentioned not working well with the rm series. on the other hand, that component could cause the same noise problem with every brand/model. all you can do is remove the culprit part or try a different psu. either way if you keep that front panel connected you may never find a fix. what front panel are you referring to by the way?


    Its a fan controller https://www.asus.com/nl/Motherboard-Accessories/ROG_Front_Base/
  9. N3rdR4ge said:
    more wattage wont help you with this setup and wattage is not your issue. i'd get a different make/model. it could just come down to that one component you mentioned not working well with the rm series. on the other hand, that component could cause the same noise problem with every brand/model. all you can do is remove the culprit part or try a different psu. either way if you keep that front panel connected you may never find a fix. what front panel are you referring to by the way?
    Is it normal that when I changed the power plan in windows from performance to energy saving the sound of whining is gone from my CPU but my PC also seems to be a lot slower. Even opening a browser is a bit laggy. Changing back to high performance mode and everything is smooth!
Ask a new question