Solved

Got an AMD FX-9370, but after replacing with old FX-4350 my computer won't fully boot up and always crashes.

My Motherboard is an Asus Sabertooth 990FX R2.0. After installing my new cpu (keep in mind I had the whole set up, graphics card and all working previously with the 4350, I just wanted an upgrade.) I went to try to boot it up but it would only start blowing the fans, show the red LED called CPU_LED and then that turns off right before the fans try to blow a little harder. Then, the whole computer just turns off with only the psu led on.

I thought maybe there was too much power trying to be used or something so I unplugged all the USBs. Still didn't work. Unplugged the graphics card. Nope. Unplugged the hard drive and the SSD and even the wireless card because I was desperate. Nope, same problem occurs. I haven' tried it with just one stick of ram yet but I'm sure the output would be the same.

I guess this must be a faulty CPU?? But it seems unlikely since I just pulled it out of the box. I'm befuddled. perhaps the mobo's gone bad?

Here's a video showcasing the issue, still persisting, after having removed the video card, wireless card, usbs, etc.

13 answers Last reply Best Answer
More about amd 9370 replacing 4350 computer fully boot crashes
  1. What PSU Do You Have, That CPU Uses 225W Alone
  2. What version BIOS do you have?
    https://www.asus.com/us/Motherboards/SABERTOOTH_990FX_R20/HelpDesk_CPU/
    Need at lease version 1708 for that CPU.
  3. Kavern I have a CX-850M. I thought unplugging my gpu and the usb cables would show that it's not a lack of wattage issue? Or am I wrong in assuming that.

    Martell I'm not sure what version my bios is. Last I updated was perhaps 6-12 months ago not sure if 1708 was around at that point.

    Also it may be worth mentioning that I've had issues before with the computer randomly shutting down just the video and usb output when I had a faulty, 500W PSU. I got the CX850M to fix that and I haven't had a problem until now with the boot failing presumably due to this cpu.
  4. Sorry I Didn't See That You Said You Unplugged Your GPU.
  5. Have you tried, can you try...putting the old CPU back in and see what version BIOS you have and see if it boots to Windows?
  6. Ok Martel I'll have to undo this tedious cpu cooler and reapply thermal paste but you're probably right about the bios. I'll get back to you when I do that, thanks.
  7. Alright Martell so I've checked and my bios is version 2501 which I'm pretty sure is the proper version for the 9370?

  8. Yes, 2501 is good and I believe is the latest. Are you able to get into Windows?

    I suggest re-seating the power cables for the motherboard and CPU and try the new CPU again. If you don't make it to the BIOS at the least, I would have to think it's the CPU. If you RMA/return it, I would suggest getting an 8350, the 9370 is basically a 8350 that's OC'd to the max with high voltage.
  9. Martell1977 said:
    Yes, 2501 is good and I believe is the latest. Are you able to get into Windows?

    I suggest re-seating the power cables for the motherboard and CPU and try the new CPU again. If you don't make it to the BIOS at the least, I would have to think it's the CPU. If you RMA/return it, I would suggest getting an 8350, the 9370 is basically a 8350 that's OC'd to the max with high voltage.


    Yes I got into windows and everything seems to work just like before I tried upgrading processors. What do you mean "re-seating"? just unplug them and plug them back in?
  10. Best answer
    nullatrum said:
    Yes I got into windows and everything seems to work just like before I tried upgrading processors. What do you mean "re-seating"? just unplug them and plug them back in?


    Yes, sometimes the connection isn't as firm as it needs to be.

    Since you got into Windows, it does seem to me that you got a defective CPU. If re-seating the power cables doesn't help and no one else here has a solution, I'd say return/RMA it.
  11. Martell1977 said:
    nullatrum said:
    Yes I got into windows and everything seems to work just like before I tried upgrading processors. What do you mean "re-seating"? just unplug them and plug them back in?


    Yes, sometimes the connection isn't as firm as it needs to be.

    Since you got into Windows, it does seem to me that you got a defective CPU. If re-seating the power cables doesn't help and no one else here has a solution, I'd say return/RMA it.


    Yeah reseated everything and the same problem persists. Welp I'll try to return it although I don't think there's a warranty (this was a christmas present, actually) but we'll see. Either way I'm going to get a new cpu. You suggest the fx-8350?
  12. nullatrum said:
    Yeah reseated everything and the same problem persists. Welp I'll try to return it although I don't think there's a warranty (this was a christmas present, actually) but we'll see. Either way I'm going to get a new cpu. You suggest the fx-8350?


    Yeah, the 8350 is actually the top end AMD CPU at this time. The models of the 9XXX series are really just a 8350 that's overclocked to the max.
  13. Asus says to use bios 1708
Ask a new question

Read More

cpu fail POST fail Motherboards amd fx-4350 Boot CPUs LED Monitor amd fx-9370 Boot Failure