Solved

FX 8350 overclock on MSI 970 Gaming Motherboard

I have been trying to overclock my FX 8350 as far as possible using the Dark Rock Pro 3 and it keeps overheating at 4.5GHz at 1.45v, or doesn't work at all (resulting in a CMOS clear), or worse, reinstall of windows. I have used AMD overdrive so far, and I have tried fiddling with voltages, but when I change them it just crashes. Please can somebody help me get a high, stable overclock with ok temps on my fx 8350?

Cheers.

(btw, my case is a be quiet silent base 800 with all the fans included, and 2 h100i fans up top the case)
Reply to guymarshall
11 answers Last reply Best Answer
More about 8350 overclock msi 970 gaming motherboard
  1. It may have hit its limits and/or the board limits.
    Reply to rolli59
  2. Best answer
    Personally, when it comes to overclocking even with a multiplier unlocked cpu.
    For the overclocking you need a motherboard that has decent overclocking options in the bios.
    And good power control settings features.

Asus boards, and Gigabyte boards are often much better in these features than a MSI motherboard.
    And more stable when it comes to overclocking a Cpu with them.

MSI boards I find, are more tetchy when overclocking the FX cpu.

Your using a water cooling solution on the cpu correct?

The average overclock of most FX based cpu`s is about an extra 800Mhz over the stock core frequency.

You should be able to get your FX 8350 cpu up to 4.5Ghz with only 1.35v on the Cpu core. without any problems at all
    So lower the core voltage of the cpu to that value, by setting it manually in your bios settings of the motherboard.
    At about 4.7 to 4.8Ghz you would be looking at about 1.4v or 1.425v set as the voltage for the cpu core.
    And about 1.5v as the core voltage setting at 4.9Ghz or 1.525v

Most FX chips will hit 4.8Ghz. and run stable.

Although !

Even with a Cpu that has a unlocked multiplier, How well and stable the cpu performs with the overclock and the voltage you apply to the cpu`s core.

Is dependent on how good the quality of the silicone substrate is, when the cpu is fabricated on it.

It`s down to good luck, or bad luck if you get a cpu that over clocks well with little cpu voltage needing to be applied to the cpu core to reach good overclocking speeds, And the Cpu being stable.
    Along with how much heat each generates.

Luck of the draw that you get a good FX cpu with a good quality Silicone substrate.
    Or a poor one that does not overclock well, and how hot it gets.
    Reply to Shaun o
  3. guymarshall said:
    I have been trying to overclock my FX 8350 as far as possible using the Dark Rock Pro 3 and it keeps overheating at 4.5GHz at 1.45v, or doesn't work at all (resulting in a CMOS clear), or worse, reinstall of windows. I have used AMD overdrive so far, and I have tried fiddling with voltages, but when I change them it just crashes. Please can somebody help me get a high, stable overclock with ok temps on my fx 8350?

Cheers.

(btw, my case is a be quiet silent base 800 with all the fans included, and 2 h100i fans up top the case)

Yeah, join the club. That motherboard sucks for overclocking. My Asus board did much better at getting stable overclocks at way lower voltages. I bought this MSI motherboard, because my Asus died after many years of use, and I am extremely disappointed in the over clocking results. i was getting 4.7GHz @ 1.412 volts on the Asus, compared to 4.5Ghz @ 1.448 volts with this MSI board. And if you go over 1.45 volts on the board, the VRM's get way to hot and cause stability issues. Oh well, I'm stuck with it for now I guess. Good luck to you... :)
    Reply to bradkman
  4. bradkman said:
    guymarshall said:

Cheers.

Yeah, join the club. That motherboard sucks for overclocking. My Asus board did much better at getting stable overclocks at way lower voltages. I bought this MSI motherboard, because my Asus died after many years of use, and I am extremely disappointed in the over clocking results. i was getting 4.7GHz @ 1.412 volts on the Asus, compared to 4.5Ghz @ 1.448 volts with this MSI board. And if you go over 1.45 volts on the board, the VRM's get way to hot and cause stability issues. Oh well, I'm stuck with it for now I guess. Good luck to you... :)

Omg yes I struggle (even with 2 extra fans) to hit 4.5ghz, whereas I could get 5ghz easily on some other motherboards. I actually got 6.3ghz as a record and now I am capped to 4.5ghz haha
    Reply to guymarshall
  5. I do not by any means see someone doing a 4.5ghz oc on a fx8350 at 1.35v on a msi 970. No way . Also, sorry to be another bearer of bad news but through experience that board sucks for oc, the vrms and nb are basically on fire during stressing. Theres also no load line calibration which sucks . Look into gigabyte or asus boards for oc.
    Reply to mperna21
  6. guymarshall said:
    bradkman said:
    guymarshall said:

Cheers.

Omg yes I struggle (even with 2 extra fans) to hit 4.5ghz, whereas I could get 5ghz easily on some other motherboards. I actually got 6.3ghz as a record and now I am capped to 4.5ghz haha
    Reply to matthias_6
  7. Why are you all having so much troubles? I can just change the multiplier, voltage has auto adjustment, andbreach 4.6 Ghz with stockcooler(although it sounds as a vacuum cleaner)
    Reply to matthias_6
  8. I have that mobo with the FX 6300 and have achieved 4.7Ghz stable at 1.54v. I run a everyday OC of 4.5Ghz @ 1.44v with the Corsair h100i top mounted with the two fans pulling air through the rad and out of the case. Build Link: https://www.gamingtribe.com/profile/WolfTek/pc
    Reply to FPSmadMEDIC
  9. I've had his motherboard and my Fx 6300 at 4.6 1.42v for two years with a H55 corsair cooler. No issues at that voltage.. anything over 1.45 is a nightmare, vrms like to get up to 70c or more. But all in all this board has been great and solid when it comes to overclocking and gaming.
    Reply to Dan_153
  10. mperna21 said:
    I do not by any means see someone doing a 4.5ghz oc on a fx8350 at 1.35v on a msi 970. No way . Also, sorry to be another bearer of bad news but through experience that board sucks for oc, the vrms and nb are basically on fire during stressing. Theres also no load line calibration which sucks . Look into gigabyte or asus boards for oc.

I've reset my overclock but before that had to happen I was on 4.5 on my 8350 at 1.35v mate. The clock was stable for a 4 hour or so stress test and I was happy. Problem with it was that , as you said, the NB was too fucking hot for me to just let it burn on my MSI 970G. It was on 60 C idle. Could hit up to 85+ but always below 90. Fuck that. Get Asus or Gigabyte.
    Reply to vukasedvin
  11. vukasedvin said:
    mperna21 said:
    I do not by any means see someone doing a 4.5ghz oc on a fx8350 at 1.35v on a msi 970. No way . Also, sorry to be another bearer of bad news but through experience that board sucks for oc, the vrms and nb are basically on fire during stressing. Theres also no load line calibration which sucks . Look into gigabyte or asus boards for oc.

I've reset my overclock but before that had to happen I was on 4.5 on my 8350 at 1.35v mate. The clock was stable for a 4 hour or so stress test and I was happy. Problem with it was that , as you said, the NB was too fucking hot for me to just let it burn on my MSI 970G. It was on 60 C idle. Could hit up to 85+ but always below 90. Fuck that. Get Asus or Gigabyte.

Yeah i had to zip tie the stock cpu fan over the vrm. After the temp went down 20c on tpin1. From 86c load to 66c load. Whenever i played a game i felt my poor system dying i couldn't do it and had to dial it back down lol
    Reply to mperna21
Ask a new question Answer

Read More

Overclocking Gaming MSI-Microstar Motherboards