Solved

Need Advice/Help Upgrading the old PC/Building a new one.

Hello! Thanks for deciding to read my thread, any help on this subject will be greatly appreciated!

I'm looking to upgrade 1-2 parts of my existing old PC, as i am limited by amount of money i posses at this moment.

My budget range: 180-220 $ (Around 200 Euros if i measured that right.)

Computer Usage: Mainly Heroes of the Storm, MGS: Phantom Pain, and most importantly, upcoming Blizzard shooter, Overwatch.

My current PC Specs:
----|
Processor:AMD Phenom(tm) II x4 955 Processor,3200Mhz , 4Cores, 4 Logical process.
----|
Graphics Card: ATI Radeon HD 4800 Series.
----|
Motherboard: MSI 870A-G54 (MS-7599)
----|
RAM: 4GB 1 Stick DDR3 HyperX Genesis (1600Mhz if i'm not mistaken.)
----|
Power Supply: LC600H-12 V2.31
----|
Storage: 254GB
--------------------
Thank you for reading. Bottom line is, i need any advice i can get on what i should upgrade first/in the future.

This is my first time engaging in computer building, cause mainly it was my brother building.

Thanks for your time, have a great day!

EDIT:Also i am fully aware that i probably wont be able to play MGS Phantom Pain at 30-60 FPS Most likely with this build, just looking for advice.
14 answers Last reply Best Answer
More about advice upgrading building
  1. Perhaps a GTX 950 and a small SSD. Really the 48-- GPU is by far the worst bottleneck.
  2. ComputerSecurityGuy said:
    Perhaps a GTX 950 and a small SSD. Really the 48-- GPU is by far the worst bottleneck.


    Interesting, wouldn't i need a new motherboard? Would you care to elaborate for me, appreciate the comment!
  3. Any more advices would be appreciated!
  4. I know squat about AMD motherboards but why do you think you would need a new one to just upgrade the GPU? Both cards use the same PCI x16 slot.
  5. KingDingDong said:
    I know squat about AMD motherboards but why do you think you would need a new one to just upgrade the GPU? Both cards use the same PCI x16 slot.


    That was on my part. I made a mistake looking through specs.
  6. I'd take a look at a GTX 960, there might be some small bottleneck in CPU heavy games, but if you plan on sticking to that build and upgrading your CPU too like next year or something then it would be worth it getting a 960. Only make sure that your PSU delivers enough watt. Around 400w should already be enough i think.

    Some GTX960s even go for under 200€ so it's in your budget.

    The bottleneck won't be that bad and it should run every Blizzard title maxed out on 1080p and even MGSV at atleast high settings i assume. Not 100% on that one but the Blizzard titles should be no problem. :)

    But i'd wait on a second post from someone, who can confirm that the 960 wont be bottlenecked alot by your CPU.
    I guess it's not that bad, but don't rely on a single answer when buying expensive stuff. :)
  7. ^ pretty much what he said .

    GPU upgrade + another 4gb ram.

    That 4850/4870 (whichever it is ) is older than the hills now.

    Your CPU will hold a gtx 960 back a bit but its still a worthwhile buy.

    Think about a r9 270/370 or gtx 950 is my advice - definitely need to get your ram up to 8gb though.
  8. migronesien said:
    I'd take a look at a GTX 960, there might be some small bottleneck in CPU heavy games, but if you plan on sticking to that build and upgrading your CPU too like next year or something then it would be worth it getting a 960. Only make sure that your PSU delivers enough watt. Around 400w should already be enough i think.

    Some GTX960s even go for under 200€ so it's in your budget.

    The bottleneck won't be that bad and it should run every Blizzard title maxed out on 1080p and even MGSV at atleast high settings i assume. Not 100% on that one but the Blizzard titles should be no problem. :)

    But i'd wait on a second post from someone, who can confirm that the 960 wont be bottlenecked alot by your CPU.
    I guess it's not that bad, but don't rely on a single answer when buying expensive stuff. :)


    migronesien and madmatt30, Thank you a lot! This really helps me quite a bit!

    Yes, i have been looking around 960 GTX, My current buy list is GTX960 / r9 380 + 4 GB extra ram,

    I have been doing a circle around GTX 960 and r380 , i have seen quite a bit of Benchmarks, and in most, r9 380 4 GB Ver overpowers GTX 960 in performance, tho it consumes more PSU and makes noise/heat. This is what i found from Benchmarking sites/youtube videos, care to discuss both of you? And thank you A LOT for helping!

    Kind regards.
  9. ^ agreed. I replaced my 4850 with a refurb 980 on a Q6600. Terraria was even balking at that card. Bottleneck, sure, but the Q6600 will be replaced within the next year or so and the 980 will still be strong.

    Get the ram and what you can afford for a GPU and then start saving for a proper Intel build down the road.

    If that is a 600w psu you have no concerns with a r9 380. I am not familiar with that model number.

    Go here and plug in all your current and proposed specs to see what the total power requirements will be. http://outervision.com/power-supply-calculator
  10. Best answer
    Rukhal said:
    migronesien said:
    I'd take a look at a GTX 960, there might be some small bottleneck in CPU heavy games, but if you plan on sticking to that build and upgrading your CPU too like next year or something then it would be worth it getting a 960. Only make sure that your PSU delivers enough watt. Around 400w should already be enough i think.

    Some GTX960s even go for under 200€ so it's in your budget.

    The bottleneck won't be that bad and it should run every Blizzard title maxed out on 1080p and even MGSV at atleast high settings i assume. Not 100% on that one but the Blizzard titles should be no problem. :)

    But i'd wait on a second post from someone, who can confirm that the 960 wont be bottlenecked alot by your CPU.
    I guess it's not that bad, but don't rely on a single answer when buying expensive stuff. :)


    migronesien and madmatt30, Thank you a lot! This really helps me quite a bit!

    Yes, i have been looking around 960 GTX, My current buy list is GTX960 / r9 380 + 4 GB extra ram,

    I have been doing a circle around GTX 960 and r380 , i have seen quite a bit of Benchmarks, and in most, r9 380 4 GB Ver overpowers GTX 960 in performance, tho it consumes more PSU and makes noise/heat. This is what i found from Benchmarking sites/youtube videos, care to discuss both of you? And thank you A LOT for helping!

    Kind regards.


    Yea, you're right on that. The R9 380 is a bit more powerfull than the 960 i think around 10% more raw power, but therefore runs a bit hotter and needs more watt. I suggest atleast a 500w unit instead of the 400w minimum for the 960. I you just want most bang for buck then the R9 380 will be the best choice for you. I (personal preference) would pick the 960, because i simply like Nvidia more, less driver issues, lower temps and stuff like that.

    960s also come with some free games at some vendors, so if you choose one make sure you get something for free in addition. :D

    + you're able to use ShadowPlay if recording gameplay is something you do. :)
  11. migronesien said:
    Rukhal said:
    migronesien said:
    I'd take a look at a GTX 960, there might be some small bottleneck in CPU heavy games, but if you plan on sticking to that build and upgrading your CPU too like next year or something then it would be worth it getting a 960. Only make sure that your PSU delivers enough watt. Around 400w should already be enough i think.

    Some GTX960s even go for under 200€ so it's in your budget.

    The bottleneck won't be that bad and it should run every Blizzard title maxed out on 1080p and even MGSV at atleast high settings i assume. Not 100% on that one but the Blizzard titles should be no problem. :)

    But i'd wait on a second post from someone, who can confirm that the 960 wont be bottlenecked alot by your CPU.
    I guess it's not that bad, but don't rely on a single answer when buying expensive stuff. :)


    migronesien and madmatt30, Thank you a lot! This really helps me quite a bit!

    Yes, i have been looking around 960 GTX, My current buy list is GTX960 / r9 380 + 4 GB extra ram,

    I have been doing a circle around GTX 960 and r380 , i have seen quite a bit of Benchmarks, and in most, r9 380 4 GB Ver overpowers GTX 960 in performance, tho it consumes more PSU and makes noise/heat. This is what i found from Benchmarking sites/youtube videos, care to discuss both of you? And thank you A LOT for helping!

    Kind regards.


    Yea, you're right on that. The R9 380 is a bit more powerfull than the 960 i think around 10% more raw power, but therefore runs a bit hotter and needs more watt. I suggest atleast a 500w unit instead of the 400w minimum for the 960. I you just want most bang for buck then the R9 380 will be the best choice for you. I (personal preference) would pick the 960, because i simply like Nvidia more, less driver issues, lower temps and stuff like that.

    960s also come with some free games at some vendors, so if you choose one make sure you get something for free in addition. :D

    + you're able to use ShadowPlay if recording gameplay is something you do. :)



    It all comes down to the decision i will make in the future between 380/960, thanks a lot!
    Now that i' have that resolved, not to bother you any further, but if you have any suggestion for a future upgrade CPU that would be great! As i plan to upgrade my computer gradually the more cash i obtain. Thanks for all!
  12. KingDingDong said:
    ^ agreed. I replaced my 4850 with a refurb 980 on a Q6600. Terraria was even balking at that card. Bottleneck, sure, but the Q6600 will be replaced within the next year or so and the 980 will still be strong.

    Get the ram and what you can afford for a GPU and then start saving for a proper Intel build down the road.

    If that is a 600w psu you have no concerns with a r9 380. I am not familiar with that model number.

    Go here and plug in all your current and proposed specs to see what the total power requirements will be. http://outervision.com/power-supply-calculator


    Also thanks for the link and comment! I will check the PSU, i'm almost sure its 600W , but i will check, thanks!
  13. Your PSU has 480w on the 12v rail & a 8+6 pin power cable mate so it will run either card.

    I hate to say this being an amd fan & all but the fact is plain & simple , when paired with an amd CPU the 960 will drag out more performance generally than the 380.

    IMO the 960 is a better choice for you.

    Forget the CPU upgrade etc for the moment - I honestly think when you drop a new GPU & another 4gb ram in that build you're going to be fairly gobsmacked at the improvement.

    Also bear in mind the 955 was a good overclocker - 3.7/3.8 GHz is not unheard of & that puts it on a par with the fx 4300 vishera's which are still fairly decent budget gaming CPU's.
  14. Agreed. I wouldn't worry much about a CPU upgrade till Zen/Kaby Lake as CPU performance and usage hasn't gone up anywhere near as much as GPU usage.
Ask a new question

Read More

Build Your Own Rebuild CPUs Systems Graphics Cards New Build