Solved

How to connect old Kenwood KR3600 receiver to new Samsung Blue Ray DVD / CD player (BD-H6500)

I have an old Kenwood receiver (KR3600) which does not have an HDMI port because it's so old. It has the old style of clips for audio connection to my old CD /DVD player. I purchased a new Samsung CD / DVD player with HDMI connection. I see where to connect the TV to the CD player but how do I connect the old receiver to the new CD player for playing audio CDs?
11 answers Last reply Best Answer
More about connect kenwood kr3600 receiver samsung blue ray dvd player h6500
  1. you can't by the looks of it. it only has an HDMI, USB, and Ethernet output - and NONE of them are of any use to your Kenwood. simpler to buy a separate CD player, used, perhaps even a 5-disc changer.
  2. giantbucket said:
    you can't by the looks of it. it only has an HDMI, USB, and Ethernet output - and NONE of them are of any use to your Kenwood. simpler to buy a separate CD player, used, perhaps even a 5-disc changer.


    As the receiver is over 40 years old (but still functions perfectly), perhaps it's time to purchase a new receiver.....If I were to purchase a separate CD player, won't I have the same problem in that it wouldn't have the appropriate connection ports to be able to connect to an old receiver?
  3. Which model Samsung? You may be able to just buy an adapter to connect the two.
  4. hence buying a used one, for $20 to $50, that was made in the 80s or 90s. all it really needs is plain RCA outputs (one white left, and one red right)
  5. azaran said:
    Which model Samsung? You may be able to just buy an adapter to connect the two.

    Samsung Blue Ray DVD / CD player (BD-H6500). I really would prefer not to have to upgrade the receiver if at all possible. Looking forward to your comments.
  6. giantbucket said:
    hence buying a used one, for $20 to $50, that was made in the 80s or 90s. all it really needs is plain RCA outputs (one white left, and one red right)

    I'm not sure i understand. "a used one" what? Yes, the existing receiver requires a red and a white plain RCA output but how does one connect these RCA outputs to the modern HDMI CD player -- Samsung Blue Ray DVD / CD player (BD-H6500)?
  7. If the Samsung is only being plugged in to the receiver you could just use adapters for everything. Optical to RCA adapters run under $10, and there are various flavors of HDMI to RCA/VGA, HDMI to Component, etc. I'd just go optical to RCA.

    However if you're trying to attach the player to the TV AND to the receiver, you're going to be out of luck as I doubt those units have the ability to switch which port playback goes out to in that manner.
  8. Best answer
    Had the same problem.
    Had to use the TV out to connect the sound to my old Denon reciever/Amp. A great old analog amp with full sound. None of that digital crap which does not have the presence or full warm bass responce of an older analog amp.
    works fine but I have to turn the TV on to listen to CDs through it.
  9. azaran said:
    If the Samsung is only being plugged in to the receiver you could just use adapters for everything. Optical to RCA adapters run under $10, and there are various flavors of HDMI to RCA/VGA, HDMI to Component, etc. I'd just go optical to RCA.

    However if you're trying to attach the player to the TV AND to the receiver, you're going to be out of luck as I doubt those units have the ability to switch which port playback goes out to in that manner.

    Thanks for your feedback. As the DVD / CD player (single Samsung Blue Ray DVD / CD player) and the TV are both new, I would hope to connect these two units via HDMI cable (both ends). Can I still use the "Optional to RCA" adapter (as you've suggested) to connect the same DVD / CD player to the old Kenwood receiver? If so, is there a special type of "Optical to RCA" adapter I should use as I've seen some converters only convert one way and not the other. Thanks.
  10. Eric G said:
    azaran said:
    If the Samsung is only being plugged in to the receiver you could just use adapters for everything. Optical to RCA adapters run under $10, and there are various flavors of HDMI to RCA/VGA, HDMI to Component, etc. I'd just go optical to RCA.

    However if you're trying to attach the player to the TV AND to the receiver, you're going to be out of luck as I doubt those units have the ability to switch which port playback goes out to in that manner.

    Thanks for your feedback. As the DVD / CD player (single Samsung Blue Ray DVD / CD player) and the TV are both new, I would hope to connect these two units via HDMI cable (both ends). Can I still use the "Optional to RCA" adapter (as you've suggested) to connect the same DVD / CD player to the old Kenwood receiver? If so, is there a special type of "Optical to RCA" adapter I should use as I've seen some converters only convert one way and not the other. Thanks.



    Splitting the player between the two is likely not going to be an option.

    What kind of setup do you have right now that using the receiver is crucial? What ports does the receiver have in the back? I couldn't find a diagram of it online. Strike that, found a picture.
  11. my point was that you could just buy a used CD player for $20 to $50 for playing audio CDs, and connect that to Kenny.
Ask a new question

Read More

Home Theatre