Solved

Graphics card for a slim/small form factor computer

Very new to this "hobby" so i figured i would take on a small task and buy myself a half way decent refurbished pc for the wife and I to use for surfing the web, storing pictures, and some basic gaming (she plays SIMS and i play League of Legends).
I did some research and picked up this PC http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16883282651 and having an i5, a lot of Ram and a TB of memory was kind of what made me choose it. I figured i could put in a pretty ok graphics card and it would be exactly what we needed.
I get the PC and it boots up fast, responds quickly, but obviously it has some trouble with even SIMs graphics.
I go to BestBuy since im not too picky at this point since i just need something "adequate" and dont feel like spending more than $100. On a whim i buy an XFX Radeon R7 360... doesnt fit cuz its too big so i need a low profile and something that will run using about 300w (my PSU is 320w). SO i return it and buy a low profile Geforce GT 740... its too "wide" and the VGA display doesnt fit the case slot in the back of the computer (since it is a slim/small factor computer).
What options do i have left??? I need something that is low profile, runs using a 320w PSU, and isnt too wide so it fits in the computer case. Id like to stay around the same quality and price range as the GT 740 but Im still learning so any help is welcomed.
11 answers Last reply Best Answer
More about graphics card slim small form factor computer
  1. Best answer
    You can get a low profile GT 740 which isn't too wide http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814500340&cm_re=gt_740_low_profile-_-14-500-340-_-Product
    In the picture it has the full length bracket, but it comes with a low profile bracket which is easily swapped over.

    Edit, probably this one would be better as it's GDDR5 http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814500337&cm_re=gt_740_low_profile-_-14-500-337-_-Product
    The card is just under 6" long and it looks like you have 7", so it would easily fit
  2. http://www.amazon.com/MSI-Computer-Graphics-Cards-N750TI-2GD5TLP/dp/B00SOXMPJY
    MSI Computer Graphics Cards N750TI-2GD5TLP
  3. BlueBossGamer said:


    and that would fit inside my case?
    http://imgur.com/PzexcBJ
    http://imgur.com/CU7uDJx

    I dont exactly understand the length and width of cards... do they measure width of the card or of the display ports?
  4. No it's not a LP CARD ^
  5. pete_101 said:
    You can get a low profile GT 740 which isn't too wide http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814500340&cm_re=gt_740_low_profile-_-14-500-340-_-Product
    In the picture it has the full length bracket, but it comes with a low profile bracket which is easily swapped over.

    Edit, probably this one would be better as it's GDDR5 http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814500337&cm_re=gt_740_low_profile-_-14-500-337-_-Product


    that looks like what i need but it recommends 400w PSU and i only have 320w... and do you think it would fit with my heatsink? http://imgur.com/CU7uDJx
  6. BR0prah Winfrey said:
    that looks like what i need but it recommends 400w PSU and i only have 320w... and do you think it would fit with my heatsink? http://imgur.com/CU7uDJx
    I updated my post to say that the card is just under 6" long and you have 7" of length, so it will fit. As for the 400W recommended, they always recommend much high than what is usually required as they don't know what CPU and other components you may have. Yes your 320W PSU will be fine.
  7. pete_101 said:
    BR0prah Winfrey said:
    that looks like what i need but it recommends 400w PSU and i only have 320w... and do you think it would fit with my heatsink? http://imgur.com/CU7uDJx
    I updated my post to say that the card is just under 6" long and you have 7" of length, so it will fit. As for the 400W recommended, they always recommend much high than what is usually required as they don't know what CPU and other components you may have. Yes your 320W PSU will be fine.



    oh perfect. thank you for the replies. it helped out alot!!!
  8. It will be tight on power , may or may not work.
  9. SR-71 Blackbird said:
    It will be tight on power , may or may not work.
    You really think it will be tight? As you have often said, HP use reasonable PSUs, so I'm assuming it's good for at least 250W. The i5 2400 has a TDP of 95W and the GT 740 of 64W, all the other components wouldn't add up to much. I don't think it would be very tight.
  10. It will be tight the slim hp supplies aren't as good as the towers.

    It still might run , hard call.

    Hopefully it works.
Ask a new question

Read More

Computers Graphics Cards Graphics