Solved

How to transfer files/data from one computer to another easily w/o internet access

I have a backup computer next to my main on a kvm switch. I want to be able to transfer files from my main computer to it and treat the backup as an external hard-drive as a sort.

The backup has disabled internet access& I intend to keep it that way (running XP). All I have going on is a cat5 cable (there is a name for it I cant remember) between the 2 computers.... yet, I still don't see any communication between the computers. Enabling shared folders doesn't seem to work, which doesnt matter cause I cant see one computer from another; its as if they aren't connected.

What I want to avoid: transfers of data using usb, dvd, or anything other than drag & drop basically. Im not so much talking about cloning an entire drive, I just want the flexibility of copying say "my documents" folder, and dragging it over to be stored in case the original gets screwed up.

If anyone knows a solution or a better way to transfer files to the backup, let me know, this isnt my field of expertise. THANKS GUYS!!!
6 answers Last reply Best Answer
More about transfer files data computer easily internet access
  1. This Video might help https://youtu.be/8EvLWAvCzA0
  2. I use the WDMYCLOUD.

    It's low-power, quiet, and works great. It's attached to the home router so it can be accessed by any device connected to our network.

    From my PC I can access it through Windows Explorer-> Network.. and I also stream movies from it to media devices. You can even access files away from the house.

    http://www.wdc.com/en/products/products.aspx?id=1140

    *You can also setup an automated backup solution using various backup tools such as Acronis True Image or SyncbackFree.

    http://www.2brightsparks.com/products.html
  3. Connect both systems to a router, enable file/folder sharing on them. Share out the folder you want to copy. Connect to that share and copy what you want. For details you can just do a search for Windows XP file sharing, tons of info out there on how to set it up.
  4. hang-the-9 said:
    Connect both systems to a router, enable file/folder sharing on them. Share out the folder you want to copy. Connect to that share and copy what you want. For details you can just do a search for Windows XP file sharing, tons of info out there on how to set it up.


    Well there are two problems: 1) I am using xp on the backup, as you probably know about all the xp security bs, so I am keeping the backup disconnected from internet access to avoid problems. I don't intend to allow any sort of network access for any reason on the backup ever again. 2) second problem is that wired together backup and main computer, file sharing allowed, firewall exceptions, etc etc.. I still could not share a folder properly. Most of the time it was as if there was no communication. Even with internet access a few months back before I disconnected it, I still could not communicate the two wirelessly.

    I think the main issue I would like to fix would be to just wire the two computers together, & get the file sharing working. I have watched many video tutorials, it seems pretty straight foreward, but following step by step still gives me no results.
  5. Best answer
    Froggman said:
    hang-the-9 said:
    Connect both systems to a router, enable file/folder sharing on them. Share out the folder you want to copy. Connect to that share and copy what you want. For details you can just do a search for Windows XP file sharing, tons of info out there on how to set it up.


    Well there are two problems: 1) I am using xp on the backup, as you probably know about all the xp security bs, so I am keeping the backup disconnected from internet access to avoid problems. I don't intend to allow any sort of network access for any reason on the backup ever again. 2) second problem is that wired together backup and main computer, file sharing allowed, firewall exceptions, etc etc.. I still could not share a folder properly. Most of the time it was as if there was no communication. Even with internet access a few months back before I disconnected it, I still could not communicate the two wirelessly.

    I think the main issue I would like to fix would be to just wire the two computers together, & get the file sharing working. I have watched many video tutorials, it seems pretty straight foreward, but following step by step still gives me no results.


    If all you are using the other computer for is a backup system, just remove the hard drive from it, attach it to the other computer as a secondary internally or through a USB enclosure and back things up to it. You are adding extra complexity for no reason the other way. If you are trying to use a cross-over cable to connect them directly, you will need a second network card in your main computer (unless you don't have that one connected to anything with ethernet either), configure a static IP on both systems to match the subnet and subnet mask and they should see each other then.
  6. hang-the-9 said:
    Froggman said:
    hang-the-9 said:
    Connect both systems to a router, enable file/folder sharing on them. Share out the folder you want to copy. Connect to that share and copy what you want. For details you can just do a search for Windows XP file sharing, tons of info out there on how to set it up.


    Well there are two problems: 1) I am using xp on the backup, as you probably know about all the xp security bs, so I am keeping the backup disconnected from internet access to avoid problems. I don't intend to allow any sort of network access for any reason on the backup ever again. 2) second problem is that wired together backup and main computer, file sharing allowed, firewall exceptions, etc etc.. I still could not share a folder properly. Most of the time it was as if there was no communication. Even with internet access a few months back before I disconnected it, I still could not communicate the two wirelessly.

    I think the main issue I would like to fix would be to just wire the two computers together, & get the file sharing working. I have watched many video tutorials, it seems pretty straight foreward, but following step by step still gives me no results.


    If all you are using the other computer for is a backup system, just remove the hard drive from it, attach it to the other computer as a secondary internally or through a USB enclosure and back things up to it. You are adding extra complexity for no reason the other way. If you are trying to use a cross-over cable to connect them directly, you will need a second network card in your main computer (unless you don't have that one connected to anything with ethernet either), configure a static IP on both systems to match the subnet and subnet mask and they should see each other then.


    Yeah.. moving the hard-drive actually sounds like a great idea. Don't know why I didn't think of that, but that's why I come here to juggle ideas around. :p Thanks buddy I'm going to get on that tonight!
Ask a new question

Read More

Windows XP Internet Access Computers Storage External Hard Drive Backup