Solved

Does this PC build seem solid for a general 1080 gaming rig

Hi guys I'm just asking for your opinion on this gaming rig i recently deiced to research...

CASE: NZXT S340 Mid Tower Case Black/Blue
CPU: Intel Core i5 4690K
CPU COOLING: Antec Kuhler H2O 650 V2 Liquid CPU Cooler
MOTHERBOARD: MSI Z97-Gaming 5 Motherboard
HDD: Seagate Barracuda 1TB ST1000DM003
SSD: Samsung 850 EVO Series 250GB 2.5in SSD
RAM: Kingston HyperX Beast HX324C11T3K2/8 8GB (2x4GB) DDR3
PSU: Corsair CS750M Modular 80 Plus Gold Power Supply
GPU: ASUS GeForce GTX 970 Strix DirectCU II 4GB
COOLING: CoolerMaster JetFlo 120mm PWM Blue LED Case Fan ( x 3 )
MONITOR: BenQ RL2455HM 24in LED Gaming Monitor

SubTotal = $2031 ( Not including postage )

Site: http://www.pccasegear.com
12 answers Last reply Best Answer
More about build solid general 1080 gaming rig
  1. Should be ok for 1080p and even for 1440p in most cases with everything maxed out.
  2. Yup looks great. Use PC part picker to find the best prices on all that hardware, individually.
  3. Ok thanks guys, you can any idea that could make it better?
  4. PSU is not that great. I would also go with an air cooler, similar or better performance noise/temperature wise and usually cheaper as well.

    I will edit the list to make a few slight changes and post back.
  5. Managed to bring down the cost a bit.

    PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

    CPU: Intel Core i5-6600K 3.5GHz Quad-Core Processor ($355.00 @ PCCaseGear)
    CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212X 82.9 CFM CPU Cooler ($55.00 @ PCCaseGear)
    Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-Z170XP-SLI ATX LGA1151 Motherboard ($249.00 @ PCCaseGear)
    Memory: Crucial Ballistix Sport LT 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR4-2400 Memory ($95.00 @ PCCaseGear)
    Storage: Samsung 850 EVO 250GB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive ($145.00 @ PCCaseGear)
    Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($75.00 @ PCCaseGear)
    Video Card: EVGA GeForce GTX 970 4GB ACX 2.0 Video Card ($499.00 @ PCCaseGear)
    Case: Phanteks Enthoo Pro M ATX Mid Tower Case ($109.00 @ PCCaseGear)
    Power Supply: EVGA 750W 80+ Bronze Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply ($129.00 @ PCCaseGear)
    Monitor: BenQ EW2440L 60Hz 24.0" Monitor ($179.00 @ PCCaseGear)
    Total: $1890.00
    Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
    Generated by PCPartPicker 2015-10-09 18:07 AEDT+1100

    If you don't plan to overclock you could switch to a cheaper locked i5 and motherboard. If you don't plan to sli either you could save some money on the PSU by switching to a lower wattage unit.
  6. RazerZ said:
    Managed to bring down the cost a bit.

    PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

    CPU: Intel Core i5-6600K 3.5GHz Quad-Core Processor ($355.00 @ PCCaseGear)
    CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212X 82.9 CFM CPU Cooler ($55.00 @ PCCaseGear)
    Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-Z170XP-SLI ATX LGA1151 Motherboard ($249.00 @ PCCaseGear)
    Memory: Crucial Ballistix Sport LT 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR4-2400 Memory ($95.00 @ PCCaseGear)
    Storage: Samsung 850 EVO 250GB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive ($145.00 @ PCCaseGear)
    Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($75.00 @ PCCaseGear)
    Video Card: EVGA GeForce GTX 970 4GB ACX 2.0 Video Card ($499.00 @ PCCaseGear)
    Case: Phanteks Enthoo Pro M ATX Mid Tower Case ($109.00 @ PCCaseGear)
    Power Supply: EVGA 750W 80+ Bronze Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply ($129.00 @ PCCaseGear)
    Monitor: BenQ EW2440L 60Hz 24.0" Monitor ($179.00 @ PCCaseGear)
    Total: $1890.00
    Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
    Generated by PCPartPicker 2015-10-09 18:07 AEDT+1100

    If you don't plan to overclock you could switch to a cheaper locked i5 and motherboard. If you don't plan to sli either you could save some money on the PSU by switching to a lower wattage unit.


    This may sound like a noob question but why change the PSU?
    And how easy is it to overclock that CPU?
  7. The CS series are poor in quality. Good for an office PC, but not a gaming computer. You will want a high quality PSU to ensure system stability and longevity.

    There are guides out there to overclock your CPU. Follow a trusted one and you should be good. Your overclock will depend on the Silicon lottery so there is not set number to the clockspeed you can reach until you purchase the CPU and see for yourself.
  8. RazerZ said:
    The CS series are poor in quality. Good for an office PC, but not a gaming computer. You will want a high quality PSU to ensure system stability and longevity.

    There are guides out there to overclock your CPU. Follow a trusted one and you should be good. Your overclock will depend on the Silicon lottery so there is not set number to the clockspeed you can reach until you purchase the CPU and see for yourself.


    Ok thanks man!
    Another one:
    How long roughly will the GTX 970 last because i currently have a R9 290x but for some reason i keep getting BSOD and the screen fails and goes pixilated. Is that the GPU or my current PC. If its my PC
    i could just use the R9 290x right pretty much same quality?
  9. Best answer
    What are the specs of your current PC? Assuming it is not the GPU the 290x performs similarly if not better than the 970.
  10. RazerZ said:
    What are the specs of your current PC? Assuming it is not the GPU the 290x performs similarly if not better than the 970.


    Off the top of my head:
    CPU: AMD FX-8350 Black
    MB: ASROCK fx extreme 9
    PSU: Megapower Elite 650W
    RAM: 2x8 GB sticks *( Cant remember name sorry)*
    SSD: 250GB
    HDD: 1 TB

    Its been happening a lot ive tried it on and off.
  11. Before you do anything else, buy a quality power supply asap. Very likely that is the source of all your problems.
  12. RazerZ said:
    Before you do anything else, buy a quality power supply asap. Very likely that is the source of all your problems.


    I still need to buy another one because that one currently is a shared PC so id like a personal one. That one has a really crappy GTX 670 GPU
Ask a new question

Read More

CUSTOM HELP Systems